US Talk Show Musical Guests / Performances

The Rover

There may be a few shining examples of great performances by great bands on the US talk shows.....

But for the most part... what a bunch of shit that is foisted on the Ameriban public !

I long for the days of The Jon Stewart Show and the way great musical acts were presented and performed there.

Even SNL wreaks.

Today's show just offer shit shit and more shit !

Jonas Bros. Anyone ? ? ?

rover, i don't know how old you are, but back in the "old days" there was some good shit on live public tv. johnny carson wasn't known for just discovering comedians. he had some great musical performers too, like leon redbone. before anyone else. and snl in the 70's and early 80's, had some great musical talent. like frank zappa, ringo starr, devo, the honey drippers, and too many to recall. now days, i agree, nothing but shit. it's too bad we can't buy dvd's of musical acts from snl and carson (also the short lived"fridays"). there used to be a reason to watch tv on friday and saterday night. too bad the kids today don't have that.

Late night talk shows frequently have guests on that aren't part of the mainstream. Conan O'Brien recently had the Drive-By Truckers on for a return visit. There's also Austin City Limits and Soundstage on PBS that air late nights on Saturdays in my area. I tuned in SNL recently for Wilco but the show itself was largely unwatchable.

I remember SNL had Pearl Jam on a few years back, Leno has had The Flaming Lips on, Conan has had Apples In Stereo...if you get lucky and watch the shows a lot there is still the occasional good performance. Also, I believe Conan and Leno both had Robert Plant on to perform a few years back.

98 % of the time when Leno, Letterman, Conan, and Kimmel have Musical Guests perform....

I Yawn..... manily based on who is performing, and what is being performed.

Memoraable performances by bands with music I really enjoy are very few and far between on the Talk Shows.

The continuing homoginiztion of America. <_<

I don't see it as "homogenization" at all when the late night talk shows take a chance on booking artists such as The Drams, Slobberbone, Ryan Adams, Nada Surf, Kathleen Edwards, Tift Merritt, the Drive-By Truckers or any other less than mainstream artists. One huge drawback to music on TV in general is the sound quality as it is usually less than ideal so it's not always representative of how the artist in question actually sounds in a live setting.

Archived