New Zeppelin interviews in 'Uncut' Magazine

hot dog

How I wish most people could sense it too.

These love and respect have always been there. But some people have been too busy reading between the lines. ;)

Well, to us it doesn't matter so much how well the members get along personally, although it makes for a nice reality show. It's whether they do anything together professionally. Obviously it's hard for them to work together if they don't enjoy eachother's company, but it happens (think the Eagles).

Well, to us it doesn't matter so much how well the members get along personally, although it makes for a nice reality show. It's whether they do anything together professionally. Obviously it's hard for them to work together if they don't enjoy eachother's company, but it happens (think the Eagles).

I think they actually do enjoy each-other's company - Jimmy wouldn't have been at Logan's wedding if he wasn't such a friend of Robert's, Jason has the love and respect of them all these days ( what a great man he has become) and Jonesy seems content with all of them and vice versa. I think it is the musical direction and personal ambition that they struggle with, personally.

The back injury - well I didn't realise that it was a big secret how it happened. I thought he just hurt it. But now SAJ is saying there was an incident...well the imagination goes wild.

Ha - I know, it just invites all kinds of lurid scenarios to unfold in one's mind... :) Maybe we're on the wrong track though: maybe it was more Spinal Tap than Last Tango in Paris.

I think they actually do enjoy each-other's company - Jimmy wouldn't have been at Logan's wedding if he wasn't such a friend of Robert's, Jason has the love and respect of them all these days ( what a great man he has become) and Jonesy seems content with all of them and vice versa. I think it is the musical direction and personal ambition that they struggle with, personally.

Gee, wonder if I should be reading between the lines in the last several posts? ;)

Well put, the issue seems to be musical direction and personal ambition. So, how is that different from what Robert has been doing for 27 years?

I don't think anyone's inventing a bad guy; some of us don't see the halo others do, maybe. I'm afraid the first time I ever heard him speak with the supposedly glowing love and respect alluded to in the posts above is in the video he made for Jimmy's "Living Legend" award, a whole six months ago. Most refreshing and impressive to hear him speak with such real feeling, too.

That Robert Plant, I dig.

I see where your coming from Gervox and your correct in the fact that they will alway's be remembered re: Zeppelin. Personally, I would rather see them working together and I guess the reality is in fact, that RP is the only one that has had any real success as a solo artist. However, I couldn't stomach a reunion if I thought it was about them all of a sudden, deciding that they needed the recognition or success. That wouldn't be the Led Zeppelin I know. That would be The Police :D

Yes! exactly! I agree.!But this is not about a bunch of faux punks getting together because an elderly and suddenly repentantant ex school teacher is on a guilt trip, and wants to make up for his ill treatment of his bandmates all those years ago (btw, I'm very fond of the Police!)

This is about LED ZEPPELIN the mightiest Rock band that ever were!! -and so of course they don"t need or have to give anything more to us.

But we fans are greedy, especially those of us who only discovered them after they ceased to be a creative force.

Even if many years from now, it may turn out that one or two of their early songs were "borrowed" from copywrited sources, or even if they wrote some of their most beloved music under the influence of highly illegal and non PC substances. :D ,It is apparrent now,beyond hope, that they could very very easily give us all a new chapter in the saga that can stand along side the old, and not be a disgrace to the legend.That is one ability I would LOVE to see exploited!.

He's spoken with love and respect about the other members of the band, especially Jimmy, throughout his entire career. He's also made digs at them, true--but the love has far outweighed that.

Got some quotes?

I remember very early on in Robert's solo career, a journalist asked him what he thought of Jimmy/what the state of their relationship was, and Plant said, "I miss the man furiously. I make no bones about it."

I think if you read the interviews from the past....and if you check out the history and time-lines, and if you have any street experience at all, it becomes pretty clear what was going on thru the years. I certainly don't need the bloody details. I think when someone has multiple addictions, total recovery can be very very difficult. That becomes even harder when someone has the money, the time, and the desire to continue doing those things. Sometimes people slip into old habits, and for others it is a life-long battle. It's not easy for others to watch this activity, especially if it's someone you truly care about. I imagine it's even harder when you have already lost others the same way.

Never thought Page was totally healthy in '98. He was severely bloated, which from a medical standpoint, could have been caused by many things.

Never thought Page was totally healthy in '98. He was severely bloated, which from a medical standpoint, could have been caused by many things.

Perhaps the cause was ingesting real food for breakfast every day instead of powdery stimulants???

Anyway, i see no reason why Page needs to give anybody an addiction timeline. He is still with us and looking good. Even at 64, a clean JP might just astound us again one day in the not-too-distant future.

Got some quotes?

Many, but I'm afraid they'll have to wait till the weekend, I'm off to New Orleans to see Plant/Krauss. :D

One that always touched me even made its way into Hammer of the Gods, though--the one where Robert goes to see Jimmy play in the 80s (the ARMS thing? it was before the Firm, I think), and explains to his daughter that he's crying because Jimmy's playing is so beautiful. (I'm paraphrasing, my books are at home.) In the 90s or early 2000s he was making clear "I still love the old bastard." When he was asked to do the MTV Unplugged thing and asked Jimmy to join him, he said many complimentary things about him. Etc. I've got lots more, but I'd better not trust my memory, going past last week it's a bit shaky. :lol:

It doesn't appear that Plant and Jones have much of a bond.

Many, but I'm afraid they'll have to wait till the weekend, I'm off to New Orleans to see Plant/Krauss. :D

One that always touched me even made its way into Hammer of the Gods, though--the one where Robert goes to see Jimmy play in the 80s (the ARMS thing? it was before the Firm, I think), and explains to his daughter that he's crying because Jimmy's playing is so beautiful. (I'm paraphrasing, my books are at home.) In the 90s or early 2000s he was making clear "I still love the old bastard." When he was asked to do the MTV Unplugged thing and asked Jimmy to join him, he said many complimentary things about him. Etc. I've got lots more, but I'd better not trust my memory, going past last week it's a bit shaky. :lol:

Thank you, I appreciate it. The negative always outweighs the positive in the ol' human brain pan, it's just the way it is, so it's good to be reminded. Have a great time in New Orleans!

Yes! exactly! I agree.!But this is not about a bunch of faux punks getting together because an elderly and suddenly repentantant ex school teacher is on a guilt trip, and wants to make up for his ill treatment of his bandmates all those years ago (btw, I'm very fond of the Police!)

This is about LED ZEPPELIN the mightiest Rock band that ever were!! -and so of course they don"t need or have to give anything more to us.

But we fans are greedy, especially those of us who only discovered them after they ceased to be a creative force.

Even if many years from now, it may turn out that one or two of their early songs were "borrowed" from copywrited sources, or even if they wrote some of their most beloved music under the influence of highly illegal and non PC substances. :D ,It is apparrent now,beyond hope, that they could very very easily give us all a new chapter in the saga that can stand along side the old, and not be a disgrace to the legend.That is one ability I would LOVE to see exploited!.

Agreed. It would be wonderful to see them do something. If the moment is right, then I'm all for it.

But not untill then.

I think if you read the interviews from the past....and if you check out the history and time-lines, and if you have any street experience at all, it becomes pretty clear what was going on thru the years. I certainly don't need the bloody details. I think when someone has multiple addictions, total recovery can be very very difficult. That becomes even harder when someone has the money, the time, and the desire to continue doing those things. Sometimes people slip into old habits, and for others it is a life-long battle. It's not easy for others to watch this activity, especially if it's someone you truly care about. I imagine it's even harder when you have already lost others the same way.

Nice post. I'm with you, don't need the details. My dad died still an alcoholic, so I have more than an inkling of what the dynamics of addiction are, and how it affects others, and what self-preservation demands, sometimes, even when you're talking about people you love.

I guess maybe that's why it's compelling to me now to see Page looking so well. Of course I hope for the full reconciliation of the band, it would mean a lot to many people for a bunch of reasons. It's not just fan greed for more ear candy.

Thank you, I appreciate it. The negative always outweighs the positive in the ol' human brain pan, it's just the way it is, so it's good to be reminded. Have a great time in New Orleans!

Sadly the media perpetuates that because to them, it's more interesting if there's an issue. But I think what Knebby said as well as the quotes others provided, it's clear there is a real bond that was, is and always will be there, even if musically they remain in different directions.

With regard to my Zep memories, the positive has always outweighed the negative - and that includes the relationship between Jimmy and Robert. It is part of my nature (and the kind of person I am) that when retrieving my memories of those Zep years (or any years for that matter), the emphasis has always been on the good (I try to view people that way too). Honestly, when it comes to LZ, if someone pressed me for the negative, it really would be very difficult for me to retrieve from my memory anything negative that directly involved the Zep guys.

As to the relationship between Robert and Jimmy and how they felt about one another, I can only share my impressions based solely upon my own experiences - when the band was touring the U.S. For example, when my friends and I were attending the Zep concerts our focus was more likely than not almost always on Jimmy and Robert – and, believe me, we watched those two very, very carefully - not only their performances but also the interplay between them – body language, small talk, eye contact, glances exchanged, etc. We did sense a feeling of mutual affection between them and, at least from what we saw, our impression that there was a real bond between the two never faltered throughout those concert years.

At this point, some memories have faded, but others remain crystal clear. At one concert, between songs, we watched as Jimmy was briefly fiddled with something – I can’t remember if it was his guitar or amp or theremin or some other piece of equipment. As Robert was waiting for Jimmy to get whatever needed to be adjusted, sorted out so the band could begin the next song, he was watching Jimmy with a look that I could only describe as “affection”. Then Robert said “Jimmy” – in the manner that close friends address one another. Then Jimmy looked over at Robert and they exchanged a glance and their eyes met and an expression passed across both their faces that we couldn’t interpret as anything but a real friendship that contained both affection and a bond – and we saw that look pass between them on more than one occasion. Sometimes I wish a camera had been there to record those things – they were beautiful to observe.

Beyond that, I can’t and won’t say anything more about the relationship between Jimmy and Robert during the Zep years because I don’t know what transpired when the band members were behind closed doors, or when they were together in the studio, or when they were at their homes in England.

Accurate or not, in my mind, the positive things that I observed, firsthand, will always outweigh anything negative that I have read or heard. Until Robert or Jimmy comes out and says something like, “Pfft, that was all an act - we knew you kids were watching us – and that’s the impression that we wanted to leave with you”, when it comes to the relationship between Robert and Jimmy during the Zep years, in my memory, the positive will always prevail.

Many years have passed since those Zep concerts and those years have been marked by a number of tragedies: the deaths of Bonzo and Karac, the car accident on Rhodes, Jimmy’s battles with substances, etc. I don’t know what effect, if any, those tragedies and life in general had upon the relationship between Robert and Jimmy. When it comes to the post-Zep relationship between Jimmy and Robert, I am in no position to make an analysis or interpretation. I will leave that to the Zep guys – or to someone who was there to witness it firsthand.

Thanks for sharing MSG. It's good to be reminded.

When I see negative in the relationship between Page and Plant, it's not the Zep years I see. It's the decades since and the unfortunate ease with which Plant has made disrespectful, snarky comments, plus the undeniable fact that he keeps fighting his connection to the band. By itself, that's ok and understandable, but unfortunately he doesn't fight connections that benefit him.

I'm also not a big fan of revising history so that Plant is a spotless cohort who was the unfortunate victim of that damn drunk, Jimmy Page. Robert benefitted from the music they made together in the 90s, and his voice coincidentally needed a rest right around then.

Everything is complicated, and it's not all positive.

^^ You know, on reflection of my last post here, I would like to apologize. It was over the top. Plant gets under my skin and I get a little crazy... I wasn't fond of this interview but that's no reason for me to be an idiot. I'm sorry.

Archived