New Zeppelin interviews in 'Uncut' Magazine

hot dog

But, Plant seems to suggest that part of the reason that P&P stopped was because Page wasn't as 'healthy' (interesting euphemism!) as he is now.

There is definitely some missing information there. I always was under the impression that Robert kind of silently slinked away from P/P after the WiC tour under the notion that since WiC tanked, that any future recording with Jimmy would be fruitless. So his statement above sounds almost like scapegoating. The fact he rerecorded "Please Read the Letter" with Alison seems like he wants to retroactively validate WiC.

There is definitely some missing information there. I always was under the impression that Robert kind of silently slinked away from P/P after the WiC tour under the notion that since WiC tanked, that any future recording with Jimmy would be fruitless. So his statement above sounds almost like scapegoating. The fact he rerecorded "Please Read the Letter" with Alison seems like he wants to retroactively validate WiC.

I don't know what the specific reasons for their departure were. Robert once said in an interview (sorry, offhand can't remember where) that he got tired of singing to the back of a hockey rink. He felt that there was no connection to the audience.

He just took advantage of the opportunity so he could say mean things about reaping what you sow, and I'm not falling for it.

Good evening...

it's common sense really, if old Percy were to say"Yeah Zep tour starts a week after the Raising sand tour ends" well then why would you go to that show? (Great record by the way)

That would be bad for business for all involved.

I'd bet that you'll see the new version of Zep again, just when you least expect it, the way it should be and always was with a bit of mystery. More fun that way.

as you were

:rolleyes:

I'd bet that you'll see the new version of Zep again, just when you least expect it, the way it should be and always was with a bit of mystery. More fun that way.

as you were

:rolleyes:

I am willing to bet you are wrong. Anything you wish. StevenAJones can hold the wager for safe keeping.

It's a shame that WiC didn't pan out commercially...I thought it was brilliant :(

Reading these interviews, I can see why Jimmy has never really gotten it on with the media...it's like the 70s all over again with pompous interviewers trying to "put words in his mouth"...I get the impression that this chum wanted the glory of breaking Zep reunion news to the world, and when Jimmy simply didn't have the news for him, he starts begging pathetically for anything he can get...good on Jimmy for putting a pompous media man in his place

Anything you wish.

Oh, my, really? :D

Ok, a copy of their new album, including anything that happens to be created by Bonham, Jones and Page without Robert "too busy searching the Library of Congress for real [sic] music" Plant (bless his heart).

There were definitely some health issues with Jimmy that contributed to the demise of P & P. Robert is respectful and loyal enough to not discuss it in depth in public.

There were definitely some health issues with Jimmy that contributed to the demise of P & P. Robert is respectful and loyal enough to not discuss it in depth in public.

Operative words being "contributed to". IMHO, Robert's "there are only so many springtimes" mindset ensured their remaining commitments were going to go unmet.

Surprised to read Jimmy went so far as to have written material for a third Page/Plant album but not surprised Robert wasn't interested. Even so, I see what you meant some time ago when you explained Jimmy is not blameless.

When I saw Page/Plant in '98 I thought Plant was in top form. Page sounded less than 100 percent to me. Those "health issues" were probably the reason.

I saw 14 shows in 5 countries and can honestly say I never saw Jimmy have a bad night in '98. I'll even go so far as to say he played better on that tour than he did in '95-'96.

The " Jimmy health thing " I find a bit surprising. He was tearing it up on the 1998 tour and superceded his playing of 1995/1996 by far. His playing was far more potent and prominent on the later tour. As a guitarist who's studied Page's playing in depth, I find it hard to believe he was blown out on that tour. I saw Page 4 times on the 1977 tour and I can contrast his playing from that era to 1998. Page was strung out and very unhealthy looking when I saw him with Zeppelin and his playing was inconsisent and erratic. I deduced none of that on the 1998 tour.

If he was drinking heavily on that last tour, it didn't reflect in his playing. I saw an extremely drunk Page with The Firm in 1986. The worst I've ever heard from him and I was cringing from the front row the whole 2 hours.

I just find it interesting that Page's " health" was a determining factor to the end of Page/Plant tandem. I don't like veiled implication.

I do not find it respectful to bring it up on any level, but then again I don't know all the facts. I do know Robert left the tour with very little notice ,and Jimmy has more then once voiced his displeasure in public about it.

Oh, my, really? :D

Ok, a copy of their new album, including anything that happens to be created by Bonham, Jones and Page without Robert "too busy searching the Library of Congress for real [sic] music" Plant (bless his heart).

Ahh, you are cheating. What do I get if nothing happens?

The " Jimmy health thing " I find a bit surprising. I just find it interesting that Page's " health" was a determining factor to the end of Page/Plant tandem. I don't like veiled implication.

Me neither! It apparently was a factor insofar as Robert Plant is concerned, but Jimmy

wasn't the one who had yet another "should I be doing this?" moment (in Paris) nor was he who bailed out to run off with a girlfriend and form a hobby band as the onset of writer's block took hold. It simply could have been handled better -- by each of them.

I'm gonna go looking for this mag tomorrow. I bet the bookshop in my town has it now. They always have imported magazines before all the chain stores.

I wish they would get some good rock mags in the states, Rolling Stone really sucks. Every issue is about the same bands over and over.

Me neither! It apparently was a factor insofar as Robert Plant is concerned, but Jimmy

wasn't the one who had yet another "should I be doing this?" moment (in Paris) nor was he who bailed out to run off with a girlfriend and form a hobby band as the onset of writer's block took hold. It simply could have been handled better -- by each of them.

Plant has taken the rap for the end of that project ever since it happened. This is the first time he's even suggested there was more to it than his own decision--acknowledging that Jimmy's health, which he rightly doesn't go into, was also a contributing factor. I think he handled that situation better than anybody could be expected to, frankly, yet it seems he's still the scapegoat.

(Your characterization of the Priory is a topic for another time.)

Plant has taken the rap for the end of that project ever since it happened. This is the first time he's even suggested there was more to it than his own decision--acknowledging that Jimmy's health, which he rightly doesn't go into, was also a contributing factor. I think he handled that situation better than anybody could be expected to, frankly, yet it seems he's still the scapegoat.

(Your characterization of the Priory is a topic for another time.)

Leaving a tour with commitments without any real reasoning other then a health issue comment 10 years later is not exactly handling the situation well IMO.

Archived