New Zeppelin interviews in 'Uncut' Magazine

hot dog

Bonzo and Jonesy were Jimmy's greatest musical foils.

That paragraph in the interview about how it's too bad Jimmy wasn't so "open and healthy" in the 90's may contain truth but is so self-aggrandizing it makes my teeth hurt. This from a singer who was pretty much losing his voice to cigarettes at the time. This from a man who could walk away from professional commitments because, you know, "I don't feel like it" (something I stopped getting away with when I was like, six). This from someone who frequently behaves as though it's more important to be "open" than kind.

I hope Page is finished offering olive branches and jumping through hoops, now. He's done what was necessary; indeed he has shown himself to be an adult who's faced his demons, a remarkable feat of survival and growth given his life.

Ball's in the other court; if it isn't returned, it's time to move on. There are lots of wonderful singers in the world; guest stars for different projects seem like a fine idea to me. Page investing no more time indulging Plant would be healthy behavior indeed.

I look forward with great interest to the autumn. There are only so many of them left, after all.

I completely agree with everything you've said here, especially: "Bonzo and Jonesy were Jimmy's greatest musical foils." Thank you for making that clear.

"This from a man who could walk away from professional commitments because, you know, "I don't feel like it" (something I stopped getting away with when I was like, six)."

It amazes me that Page would even want to risk putting a real project together involving Plant after bullshit like that, how could you trust him not to do it again? Thats fucked up!

"Page investing no more time indulging Plant would be healthy behavior indeed."

Amen

I'm just saying it happened offstage on the day off. People hurt their backs all the time doing ordinary activities. What he was doing has not been disclosed publicly so I must be mindful not to be as specific as I could be. It was neither sexual nor adventurous!

Rats! There blows my theory. :(

Bonzo and Jonesy were Jimmy's greatest musical foils.

That paragraph in the interview about how it's too bad Jimmy wasn't so "open and healthy" in the 90's may contain truth but is so self-aggrandizing it makes my teeth hurt. This from a singer who was pretty much losing his voice to cigarettes at the time. This from a man who could walk away from professional commitments because, you know, "I don't feel like it" (something I stopped getting away with when I was like, six). This from someone who frequently behaves as though it's more important to be "open" than kind.

I hope Page is finished offering olive branches and jumping through hoops, now. He's done what was necessary; indeed he has shown himself to be an adult who's faced his demons, a remarkable feat of survival and growth given his life.

Ball's in the other court; if it isn't returned, it's time to move on. There are lots of wonderful singers in the world; guest stars for different projects seem like a fine idea to me. Page investing no more time indulging Plant would be healthy behavior indeed.

I look forward with great interest to the autumn. There are only so many of them left, after all.

Amen sister! You speak with great wisdom for one so young, SunCHILD. :D

The other thing that I remember is a quote from Chris Robinson which was something like "I respect Jimmy as a musician, but have no respect for him as a person". Which leads me to believe that there may have been something else going on besides Jimmy's bad back.

Wow. Definitely some missing details there.

Concerning Jimmy's back problems with the Crowes.

I remember watching the Jay Leno "gig" and towards the end of the song Jimmy bends over fairly low with the guitar, I immediately thought to myself "ouch" he's too old to be doing that. The next day they announced the end of the tour. If his back was hurting before the show, I don't think he's going to bend over like that.

The other thing that I remember is a quote from Chris Robinson which was something like "I respect Jimmy as a musician, but have no respect for him as a person". Which leads me to believe that there may have been something else going on besides Jimmy's bad back.

The back became an issue on the off day before performing on Jay Leno's show. If anything, that performance may have aggravated the original injury.

If Chris Robinson did say such a thing, when he said it and in what context becomes important. When Jimmy broke his finger leading to postponement of the 02 look at how many foolish people said foolish things (faking it...needs more rehearsal time...etc). I

believe I have sufficiently dispelled any allegations that Jimmy bailed from the tour.

Sounds more like a quote from one of the Gallagher brothers about crapton, or George Harrison.

BTW,. I picked up this issue at the local newsstand. ..I went to Borders and B&N earlier this week and they have the April issue (featuring the RS) in stock. By chance, I happened to be coming home from the grocery store yesterday, stopped at the local newsstand to see what magazines were out and voila! there it was...naturally, took me less than a sec to purchase it.....#lol#

I think we have it here in a nut shell.

Jimmy, bless 'em, lived and loved the Rock n Roll lifestyle long after Robert was brought back down to Earth.

Robert said that he took his last illegal substance back in 1977,when he lost his son,and decided to uphold his commitment to his family.

I have had the impression for years that although (and because) he loves Jimmy he also frowned upon many of his lifestyle choices.Even to the deprivation of his own reputation and bank balance!

It is a tactic that I have experienced myself and is a kin to the concept of "Tough Love"

Robert does not need Jimmy,He has made his fortune and money has no hold over him.

Jimmy does need Robert!; Jimmy knows that Robet was his greatest musical foil,the thing Jimmy always craved in the early years was perfection.In his sobriety he knows that the only way now to a return to musical glory is in the hands of Robert.

although he loves Robert (though, I suspect at times would cheerfully like to strangle him!)he realises that Robert holds the trump card.

Jimmy, both inwardly and outwardly in the last few years has appeared to have changed.

As a life long fan,I had never heard him speak untill the o2 concert and now he seems to be all over the place giving interviews!

It really does seem to me that Jimmy is going through the hoops .

There is only two possible explanatians for this.

1.Jimmy really has finally exorcised his demons and rejoined the Human Race. :o

2.He is putting on a show to impress Robert. :unsure:

The words paper asshole come to mind here.

Wow. Some interesting reading in this thread I must say. ;)

Some of the comments made me LOL for real.

I would love to get my hands on that copy of Uncut. I live in the middle of bf Minnesota where that kind of stuff is hard to get ahold of.

The comment RP made about him sining his nuts off for the 02 is dead on.

I was struck at how beautiful RP's voice sounded.

Wow. Some interesting reading in this thread I must say. ;)

Some of the comments made me LOL for real.

I would love to get my hands on that copy of Uncut. I live in the middle of bf Minnesota where that kind of stuff is hard to get ahold of.

The comment RP made about him sining his nuts off for the 02 is dead on.

I was struck at how beautiful RP's voice sounded.

I think he was amazing from the recordings I've heard. One little crack in Stairway, but otherwise, fantastic. Kashmir was incredible.

(Gervox @ Apr 11 2008, 11:12 AM) Jimmy knows that Robert was his greatest musical foil

name='Knebby' date='Apr 12 2008, 02:50 PM' post='163132']

100% true, no matter how many people here try to pretend it isn't.

Vice versa, maybe.

Musically Jones and Bonzo pushed Jimmy and he pushed them to such an extent that they could blow even the amazing Robert Plant sideways if not right off the stage at any given moment. Not saying they wouldn't influence Plant to "sing his nuts off," too, or that Robert's contributions are negligible. But Plant is not Jimmy's greatest musical foil. He's some kind of foil for sure, and he may be one of the few people on earth who could stand up to the onslaught of the other three members when they were cookin', but that's not the same.

Vice versa, maybe.

Musically Jones and Bonzo pushed Jimmy and he pushed them to such an extent that they could blow even the amazing Robert Plant sideways if not right off the stage at any given moment. Not saying they wouldn't influence Plant to "sing his nuts off," too, or that Robert's contributions are negligible. But Plant is not Jimmy's greatest musical foil. He's some kind of foil for sure, and he may be one of the few people on earth who could stand up to the onslaught of the other three members when they were cookin', but that's not the same.

Completely disagree. And there's good reason why it is Robert who Jimmy has been desperate to work with all these years. They both know.

Completely disagree. And there's good reason why it is Robert who Jimmy has been desperate to work with all these years. They both know.

Has he showed interest in presenting Robert with a project in the last few years? Yes.

Desperate? lol...

Unless Robert has the capability to turn himself into 16 year old Asian girl, I seriously doubt Jimmy is desperate to do anything with him.

Has he showed interest in presenting Robert with a project in the last few years? Yes.

Desperate? lol...

Unless Robert has the capability to turn himself into 16 year old Asian girl, I seriously doubt Jimmy is desperate to do anything with him.

You underestimate them both.

You underestimate them both.

I don't think so. I have a tremendous respect for both actually. I do think Jimmy has made exceptions in his artistic taste in the past to accommodate the need to work with Robert. It was costly for both of them. Now that nature has restored itself, I do not see that happening, ever again.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Archived