New Zeppelin interviews in 'Uncut' Magazine

hot dog

Are you referring to the drum loops? The North African/Morrocan vibe within Unledded?

Many things actually. The entire unledded tour was a catastrophe IMO. No need for the bald headed guy as a #2. To many musicians on the stage. A ton of crap Jimmy had to put up with that normally would have never happened.

Many things actually. The entire unledded tour was a catastrophe IMO. No need for the bald headed guy as a #2. To many musicians on the stage. A ton of crap Jimmy had to put up with that normally would have never happened.

My understanding is Jimmy was also interested in North African music (maybe not to the same extent as Robert). I can't imagine Robert put a gun to Jimmy's head and said it's this way or no way. I dunno - I thought Unledded was a great album and I loved the tour.

Or possibly Jimmy Page has a wider musical range than your giving him credit for.

As you say, it's your opinion.

Well, I think this point is worthy of it's own thread, lest it pull this one further off topic.

I've certainly never heard that tour characterized as a catastrophe until now!

Well, I think this point is worthy of it's own thread, lest it pull this one further off topic.

I've certainly never heard that tour characterized as a catastrophe until now!

Ok a lil strong. Be sure to ask Jimmy next time you talk to him how he felt about it.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Or possibly Jimmy Page has a wider musical range than your giving him credit for.

As you say, it's your opinion.

The un-ledded show for MTV was a great idea and I enjoyed it very much. The tour however...

If you think/believe that it was Jimmy's idea to re-work Led Zeppelin's music for a live show, and that it is a testament to his musical rang, I believe it is you who are underestimating him most certainly.

If you think/believe that it was Jimmy's idea to re-work Led Zeppelin's music for a live show, and that it is a testament to his musical range, I believe it is you who are underestimating him most certainly.

He consistently spoke quite excitedly about it, using the analogy of "the same picture but in a different frame". I believe the MTV telecast was argubly overly-Plantesque in the choice of film locations and symbology, but I believe the tour itself was a balanced presentation of their musical range. It even encompassed post-solo work they didn't

originally record together ('Shake My Tree' and 'Calling to You'). I could have done

without The Cure song but I'm sure it was appreciated by those more familiar with

Porl's work. Nigel Eaton, Hossam Ramzy and His Egyptian Orchestra and the local

orchestras all had moments in the spotlight.

The lighting and stage design was unimaginative, but c'mon that tour was brilliant!

I thought it was a great tour. I will say however that I did prefer 98.

He consistently spoke quite excitedly about it, using the analogy of "the same picture but in a different frame". I believe the MTV telecast was argubly overly-Plantesque in the choice of film locations and symbology, but I believe the tour itself was a balanced presentation of their musical range. It even encompassed post-solo work they didn't

originally record together ('Shake My Tree' and 'Calling to You'). I could have done

without The Cure song but I'm sure it was appreciated by those more familiar with

Porl's work. Nigel Eaton, Hossam Ramzy and His Egyptian Orchestra and the local

orchestras all had moments in the spotlight.

The lighting and stage design was unimaginative, but c'mon that tour was brilliant!

Publicly yes he did. What was he going to say? I don't like the new project, and who is this bald headed prick? :blink:

Shake My Tree, originally intended (written) as a Zeppelin piece. Plant phoned that one in on a nightly basis. Wonder why? Catastrophic is extreme and borderline stupid I agree, but in the same text, Brilliant? I think maybe 98 you could say that.

I thought it was a great tour. I will say however that I did prefer 98.

I also enjoyed the tour, not really my idea of what it could have been, or what I was commenting on but ok. I also preferred 98. Wonder why? lol

Publicly yes he did. What was he going to say? I don't like the new project, and who is this bald headed prick? :blink:

Oh come, on. Jimmy likes Porl. Hell, he's the one who presented Porl with an enormous

floral arrangement onstage at Madison Square Garden during their North American tour finale on October 26, 1995. (They had a trio of bellydancers perform for Porl first!) The

only reason Porl did not continue on the tour to Japan and Austrailia is because his wife

was expecting a child.

Oh come, on. Jimmy likes Porl. Hell, he's the one who presented Porl with an enormous

floral arrangement onstage at Madison Square Garden during their North American tour finale on October 26, 1995. (They had a trio of bellydancers perform for Porl first!) The

only reason Porl did not continue on the tour to Japan and Austrailia is because his wife

was expecting a child.

He did not want a second guitarist. It was not his idea. Him liking Porl, as do I, has nothing to do with it.

He did not want a second guitarist. It was not his idea. Him liking Porl, as do I, has nothing to do with it.

I don't think I'd go that far. Besides, it was obvious to me he needed Porl on the first leg. He didn't quite have his chops back yet. Contrast Jimmy's playing in March 1995

with October 1995. There's no comparison. It took him time to really sizzle. In 1998

he was ON nearly every night.

I don't think I'd go that far. Besides, it was obvious to me he needed Porl on the first leg. He didn't quite have his chops back yet. Contrast Jimmy's playing in March 1995

with October 1995. There's no comparison. It took him time to really sizzle. In 1998

he was ON nearly every night.

I would/did.

I agree he sounded better later on. He didn't need Porl for that did he?

Completely disagree. And there's good reason why it is Robert who Jimmy has been desperate to work with all these years. They both know.

Ok, what's the reason they both know? I don't hear it all that often, though the fault may lie in my ears. But, it can't be production; Jimmy's clearly superior to just about everyone Plant has ever worked with there (not to mention Jones, for arranging). Ditto, guitar playing. (Ditto in spades for drumming!)

Over time I think Jimmy (and Zeppelin) pushed Robert to musical heights he never would have glimpsed, much less reached, without them, rather than vice-versa.

I'm curious - what roles do you think Jones and Bonham played in Jimmy's musical career?

Alchemy is of the spirit. Their body of work is the tangible offspring.

The chemistry between Page and Plant is certainly real, and powerful. However, The chemistry between Jimmy and a guitar is mind-blowing. The chemistry between Page and Bonham, and the chemistry between Bonham and Jones was too. The chemistry of that trio when Robert stood gyrating silent in the shadows was also. The four of them were unbeatable, for sure.

Also, that chemistry is between them. It's not something Plant kindly bestows on Page, for which he got or gets nothing in return.

Ok, what's the reason they both know? I don't hear it all that often, though the fault may lie in my ears. But, it can't be production; Jimmy's clearly superior to just about everyone Plant has ever worked with there (not to mention Jones, for arranging). Ditto, guitar playing. (Ditto in spades for drumming!)

Over time I think Jimmy (and Zeppelin) pushed Robert to musical heights he never would have glimpsed, much less reached, without them, rather than vice-versa.

I'm curious - what roles do you think Jones and Bonham played in Jimmy's musical career?

Robert has admitted this countless times. Reference the video tribute...

Video Tribute.

Although I have no way of verifying this, I agree that RP was probably administrating some tough love. I do not agree however, that they need each other to be successful. I would like to think that if they ever do decide to do something ,that it would be because they wanted to

It depends on what you call success!

It is obvious that no one in the band needs any more money,However it is a sad fact of life that they all will be remembered only for the music of Led Zeppelin.This is coming from a fan who loves all of their solo works!.

If they believe they can contribute more to the legacy that will not only survive them,but this century and beyond, (and I think Jimmy has this desire) then it would seem a bit selfish to the future to deny that they actually still need each other.

For example,I personally think the music that Roger Hodgson made after he left Supertramp was as good, if not better than the music he made with them.

How many people know who Roger is?. :blink:

His legacy will forever be Dreamer,The Logical Song, Give a little bit.....but he did so much more!.

It is the same with the individual musicians of Zeppelin.If it doesn't have THAT name in front ,it is - on a global scale at least, reaching deaf ears!.

It depends on what you call success!

It is obvious that no one in the band needs any more money,However it is a sad fact of life that they all will be remembered only for the music of Led Zeppelin.This is coming from a fan who loves all of their solo works!.

If they believe they can contribute more to the legacy that will not only survive them,but this century and beyond, (and I think Jimmy has this desire) then it would seem a bit selfish to the future to deny that they actually still need each other.

For example,I personally think the music that Roger Hodgson made after he left Supertramp was as good, if not better than the music he made with them.

How many people know who Roger is?. :blink:

His legacy will forever be Dreamer,The Logical Song, Give a little bit.....but he did so much more!.

It is the same with the individual musicians of Zeppelin.If it doesn't have THAT name in front ,it is - on a global scale at least, reaching deaf ears!.

I see where your coming from Gervox and your correct in the fact that they will alway's be remembered re: Zeppelin. Personally, I would rather see them working together and I guess the reality is in fact, that RP is the only one that has had any real success as a solo artist. However, I couldn't stomach a reunion if I thought it was about them all of a sudden, deciding that they needed the recognition or success. That wouldn't be the Led Zeppelin I know. That would be The Police :D

Just picked up the copy of this and am poring through it now. Fantastic read on the Plant interview - sheds quite a bit of light on many things often either glossed over or ignored.

Just picked up the copy of this and am poring through it now. Fantastic read on the Plant interview - sheds quite a bit of light on many things often either glossed over or ignored.

I picked up my copy about a week ago and read the interviews the other day. And I wholeheartedly agree about the Plant interview...I thought it was wonderful. I can really sense the love & respect Robert has for bandmates.

I picked up my copy about a week ago and read the interviews the other day. And I wholeheartedly agree about the Plant interview...I thought it was wonderful. I can really sense the love & respect Robert has for bandmates.

How I wish most people could sense it too.

These love and respect have always been there. But some people have been too busy reading between the lines. ;)

Archived