New Zeppelin interviews in 'Uncut' Magazine

hot dog

His comments in this article seem to be out of frustration IMO, knowing the fact that they have a wonderful open door come this September and Robert has closed it. It has nothing to do with Roberts commitment of the present. It has everything to do with Robert not giving a commitment to a future project (which has been leaked from "inside" sources) when he is done with Raising Sand.

mrzoso do tell how you come to the conclusion that Robert is closing the door. This article as currently posted on this forum(it may help perhaps if by some that it be reread several times ),does not state any such thing, in fact Robert ( interviewed on Jan.18 ,08)says basicly he is open upon certain conditions.As for Jimmy who was interviewed more recent March 10,08--does indeed state Robert is buzy with another project(raising sand -ak etc.) Really what`s all this(? inside leak?) that YOU are implicating incorrectly as some sort of block to LZ ?

We shall see what comes out of all of this. But they really can't confirm anything until after Robert's tour with Alison finishes up, which I believe ends in July.

The Uncut cover with Zep is now on their website.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/music/led_zeppelin/..._features/10822

oh i wish that pic of the cover was bigger! i'm totally checking out Barnes and Noble to see if they have it.

mrzoso do tell how you come to the conclusion that Robert is closing the door. This article as currently posted on this forum(it may help perhaps if by some that it be reread several times ),does not state any such thing, in fact Robert ( interviewed on Jan.18 ,08)says basicly he is open upon certain conditions.As for Jimmy who was interviewed more recent March 10,08--does indeed state Robert is buzy with another project(raising sand -ak etc.) Really what`s all this(? inside leak?) that YOU are implicating incorrectly as some sort of block to LZ ?

Ok lets forget the "inside information"...Maybe you should follow your own advice. Re-read the original post. Robert says no...

Did the success of the show test your previously stated resolve not to reform for a full-blown reunion and tour?

Not at all. I really enjoyed it. And hopefully, one day, we could do it again for another really, really good reason.

That is not what Jimmy wants to hear, if you read closely into his comments. Jimmy says...

Look, I started this by saying there was a will to succeed, if you like, in those original rehearsals. And everybody had such a commitment to it. Now, if you’re talking about a tour – other dates, maybe recording together – there’s only one thing that’s going to be a common denominator with that. And that’s commitment.

Robert is not willing to commit to a Led Zeppelin project on any level. No announcements to be made official by the band. For what reason? They never made any future plans public. If you think Jimmy is going to wait for Robert to call him one day and say...Jimmy, lets do something. Not gonna happen. This was the time. Robert said no.

Done deal. It's in black and white, but for some reason most cannot see it. I think they are called, blinders.

Ok lets forget the "inside information"...Maybe you should follow your own advice. Re-read the original post. Robert says no...

Did the success of the show test your previously stated resolve not to reform for a full-blown reunion and tour?

That is not what Jimmy wants to hear, if you read closely into his comments. Jimmy says...

Robert is not willing to commit to a Led Zeppelin project on any level. No announcements to be made official by the band. For what reason? They never made any future plans public. If you think Jimmy is going to wait for Robert to call him one day and say...Jimmy, lets do something. Not gonna happen. This was the time. Robert said no. Done deal. It's in black and white, but for some reason most cannot see it. I think they are called, blinders.

I see. I'm reading the following Robert quote and trying to to find the part where Robert said "no".

Not at all. I really enjoyed it. And hopefully, one day, we could do it again for another really, really good reason

I guess that "Hopefully we can do it again one day..." really means "no, it's a done deal".

I see. I'm reading the following Robert quote and trying to to find the part where Robert said "no".

Not at all. I really enjoyed it. And hopefully, one day, we could do it again for another really, really good reason

I guess that "Hopefully we can do it again one day..." really means "no, it's a done deal".

See the Not at all part? Have another look at it. Want to guess what it means? It means...No

Now hopefully we can do it again...What does that say to you? Yes??? I am going to do a tour? Thats not How I am reading it. More like, maybe at some point, we can all get together and play another show like the 02. Guess what? That also means, No.

Yea, Blinders.

Thank you, SunChild. I had a feeling that you might understand my bad analogy. ;)

Yes, as you've clarified: "different level, but, the idea is the same".

Kids. You're right about how they will drive you nuts – and they will do things that make you cringe, get you do things you never thought you'd ever do and, sometimes, they will stumble in such a way that it tears at your heart.

:beer:

That last bit, you make me think of "Terms of Endearment"... :'(

But it's a lovely sunny day, so - :beer:

About the interviews, well, the three of them sure are in the press a lot for a band that doesn't exist. B)

See the Not at all part? Have another look at it. Want to guess what it means? It means...No

Now hopefully we can do it again...What does that say to you? Yes??? I am going to do a tour? Thats not How I am reading it. More like, maybe at some point, we can all get together and play another show like the 02. Guess what? That also means, No.

Yea, Blinders.

Well, the thing is, Plant has been known to change his mind in the past. Those aren't equal to an unequivocal NO in my mind, just a leaning in a certain direction, keeping the door slightly open but ready to be shut.

(I confess, in my darker moments there's a part of me that would find it lovely and fitting if Robert did call Jimmy one day to say let's get Jonesy and Jason together, and Jimmy told him they were all too busy with their own more enlightened and evolutionary projects to work with him, sorry, old chap... maybe some time, if the circumstances are right... ;) )

(I confess, in my darker moments there's a part of me that would find it lovely and fitting if Robert did call Jimmy one day to say let's get Jonesy and Jason together, and Jimmy told him they were all too busy with their own more enlightened and evolutionary projects to work with him, sorry, old chap... maybe some time, if the circumstances are right... ;) )

:D:D:D

I am not trying to insult any ones opinion. We can all hope for the best. I do hope it's not to late, and Robert does change his mind. But as of right now, I am just going by what has been decided. For some reason, people do not want to except the fact that Robert has told the rest of the band he does not plan on doing anything with them after his tour. No matter how many times that is written, it doesn't seem to set in.

Three great interviews in the May edition of 'Uncut' magazine. Robert was interviewed on 18 January, JPJ on 28 January and Jimmy on March 10th. For those hoping for firm news of activity it's 'as you were' I'm afraid, although JP & JPJ still seem keen for something to happen. Robert is very open regarding Jimmy, talking about his health issues etc. It's too long to type out, here are some highlights though:

Robert:

Not at all. I really enjoyed it. And hopefully, one day, we could do it again for another really, really good reason. Our profit is – it's metaphysical. And that's the thing, especially with my connection with Jimmy. I mean, the two of us are almost umbilically attached in some strange way and have been down the years. And that's survived everything. From the time I was 19 to now, when I'm 59.

A few days later at MSG ...........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3tMDcMScI http://youtube.com/watch?v=BM9r26VMEg

I like this one from the same interview:

Uncut: Is the official Led Zeppelin site everything you'd hope it would be?

Robert: Oh, yes. Stan Rapallo has definately launched the ultimate online destination for fans. I don't frequent the forum as often as I should on account of lajoie's multi-colored

text but I do enjoy comparisons between Yoko and Alison as I'm working with her next.

Robert: Oh, yes. Stan Rapallo has definately launched the ultimate online destination for fans. I don't frequent the forum as often as I should on account of lajoie's multi-colored

text but I do enjoy comparisons between Yoko and Alison as I'm working with her next.

Send me a copy of that one ! I do Love Yoko ,for real ! :kiss:

:lol:

I was listening to the radio today here in the Midwest, can't remember which classic rock station, but they said Robert Plant seems to have a change of heart in regards to a tour in some recent comments. I wonder if these were the "comments" he was talking about. Regardless, I have to say, I was thrilled to hear it on the radio.(even if it's just speculation)

Robert:

Not at all. I really enjoyed it. And hopefully, one day, we could do it again for another really, really good reason. Our profit is – it's metaphysical. And that's the thing, especially with my connection with Jimmy. I mean, the two of us are almost umbilically attached in some strange way and have been down the years. And that's survived everything. From the time I was 19 to now, when I'm 59.

How different was he (Jimmy) at the O2 reunion from the guy you worked with on the Unledded tour in 1994?

If Jimmy was as healthy then – and when we came to do Walking Into Clarksdale- if he'd been as open and as healthy then as he has now, we'd probably have gone somewhere else again. Because I'm always exhilarated by hearing him play. I think he's met his demons now and he's made that public now as much as he can. Without giving too much away, the olive branch came out. And when he brought that branch out – he said, "I offer you an olive branch".

[Talking about the issues surrounding the '77 tour]…..For me, then, it didn't really work from '77 onwards. However, there were moments from Knebworth that were spectacular. But the price you have to pay to get to those moments, I didn't think it was worth it anymore. It wasn't my idea of constructive open-heart surgery.

Finally, how did you feel as you finished that set at the O2?

First of all, we did what we set out to do and more, in every respect. We showed people that Led Zeppelin did go on a bit. There was an opportunity to get a drink occasionally during the show. But at the same time that's what we were. The personality of the audience has changed from those days when everybody was in the same condition as the band. Now it was more like the 68th wonder of the world, rather than as a gig. So I felt a bit embarrassed. I felt a bit like I'd gone into character, in a way, even though I sang my nuts off. And the interplay between us all was excellent. I just wanted to take it somewhere else for a minute. I kept saying during rehearsals, 'Maybe we can just drop that bit there and perhaps finish off with 'Goodnight' by the Incredible String Band'.

What, from "A Very Cellular Song"?

Yeah, that's it. [sings]: "I was walking in Jerusalem, just like John…Lay down my sweet sister Jesus, won't you lay and take your rest". And, "Yeah", Jimmy said "We always said we'd do that" And of course we didn't, because the occasion was bigger than that. And that's the trouble with the whole thing, about Led Zeppelin. It was always bigger than the beauty of what we had in mind. So I felt like it was a job done, that we were friends, strong, good.

More to follow...

I liked that interview. I just wish that Ahmet would speak to Robert from the grave, give him a really good reason, tell him "you did one brilliant show for me, now do a few more for the fans.....and be sure to make a DVD for those who can't attend." ;)

:DPart of me has been having the same train of thought. But my ending is that Robert begs to be part of the metaphysical fun and after some due consideration the others decide to let him join in.

Robert:

How different was he (Jimmy) at the O2 reunion from the guy you worked with on the Unledded tour in 1994?

If Jimmy was as healthy then – and when we came to do Walking Into Clarksdale- if he'd been as open and as healthy then as he has now, we'd probably have gone somewhere else again. Because I'm always exhilarated by hearing him play. I think he's met his demons now and he's made that public now as much as he can. Without giving too much away, the olive branch came out. And when he brought that branch out – he said, "I offer you an olive branch".

[Talking about the issues surrounding the '77 tour]…..For me, then, it didn't really work from '77 onwards. However, there were moments from Knebworth that were spectacular. But the price you have to pay to get to those moments, I didn't think it was worth it anymore. It wasn't my idea of constructive open-heart surgery.

Finally, how did you feel as you finished that set at the O2?

First of all, we did what we set out to do and more, in every respect. We showed people that Led Zeppelin did go on a bit. There was an opportunity to get a drink occasionally during the show. But at the same time that's what we were. The personality of the audience has changed from those days when everybody was in the same condition as the band. Now it was more like the 68th wonder of the world, rather than as a gig. So I felt a bit embarrassed. I felt a bit like I'd gone into character, in a way, even though I sang my nuts off. And the interplay between us all was excellent. I just wanted to take it somewhere else for a minute. I kept saying during rehearsals, 'Maybe we can just drop that bit there and perhaps finish off with 'Goodnight' by the Incredible String Band'.

What, from "A Very Cellular Song"?

Yeah, that's it. [sings]: "I was walking in Jerusalem, just like John…Lay down my sweet sister Jesus, won't you lay and take your rest". And, "Yeah", Jimmy said "We always said we'd do that" And of course we didn't, because the occasion was bigger than that. And that's the trouble with the whole thing, about Led Zeppelin. It was always bigger than the beauty of what we had in mind. So I felt like it was a job done, that we were friends, strong, good.

More to follow...

I liked that interview. I just wish that Ahmet would speak to Robert from the grave, give him a really good reason, tell him "you did one brilliant show for me, now do a few more for the fans.....and be sure to make a DVD for those who can't attend." ;)

:DPart of me has been having the same train of thought. But my ending is that Robert begs to be part of the metaphysical fun and after some due consideration the others decide to let him join in.

I think there's a few clues in both JPJ's and Jimmy's interviews:

JPJ has pointedly said he would like to play with Jimmy again, doesn't mention Robert, so perhaps JPJ is putting his chips on Jimmy.

And Jimmy said the O2 gig was inspirational, which of course means inspiring ideas of future activities, and I think he is saying that Plant is taking the less challenging and inspirational direction.

Because Jimmy has specified that he is going in the direction on inspiration and what is challenging, he's classed inspiration and challenge as a specific direction...

So I'd say it has to be a comment about Plant.

But I mean I thought we knew there was a bit of tension there between Plant and the others? Weren't JPJ and Jimmy at some sort of function like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the Grammys a year or two ago and Robert didn't go because he was preparing a tour or something, so he was just live via satellite, and I thought Jimmy made a snide comment about it along the lines of "well he could've put in the effort to show..."

When you go to john paul jones web site ;he's been promising to finish his own album now for over 2 years!iIf he could sit down with jimmy page with the songs that he's got written or working on surely they could easily produce a new album .jimmy has proberly got song"s that he's being working on as well.Now if you think about the people and groups that john paul jones has been working with lately."bluegrass ,country,foo's ,datsons, it should be quite easy for him and jim to produce a new album and i would guess that with the bluegrass,country direction that he(john paul and robert plant) have taken every one in the group should be" buzzing"with ideas!Be it an acoustic ,blues,country;You name it; there is plenty off directions they can go and I'd say Robert would love to sing songs that are easier for his vocal range as well .

Love it! Come on Ahmet, send Robert a sign! :D

I can never decide if believing the genuine appreciation of millions of people isn't a good enough reason is integrity, fear, or ego... (perhaps it's all three?)

Yes, that's my ending, too... maybe after the Jones/Page album comes out? :D (Turn about it fair play and all.)

It would be so great if all of us could join in the "metaphysical fun." It just feels right, somehow. And they don't have to play all Zeppelin; it would be great for them to do medleys of wonderful old blues and rock songs - celebration days!

Lest it seem I just endlessly bash Mr Plant, thing is, I really love how he deflates the overblown aspects of the band and the "myth" and all that. He brings a needed balance there. Or should I say, he could bring it, maybe as random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty?

More from the Uncut article:

>>Plant also says the Ahmet Ertegun reunion gig was very different to previous gigs in their heyday. He says he: "sang his nuts off" and says it was weird that the "personality of the audience has changed from those days when everybody was in the same condition as the band. Now it was more like the 68th wonder of the world rather than a gig. So I felt a bit embarrassed."<<

Because the audience was in TOTAL AWE of what they were seeing.

If Robert prefers the audience to be drunk/stoned off our arses, there are plenty of us willing to roll with that -- just come on board, Robert!!

I enjoyed Robert's interview the most but he has the BEST reason for doing more shows - us the fans.

What struck me is that they gave Jimmy a much harder ride. I don't think JP enjoys the experience of being interviewed but they really got after him and push him about more Zep activety. Which only pissed him off and put him at his guard. We know (or think we do) that he'd tour/record LZ in a shot. The questions directed at him should have been directed at RP. Maybe they were but he just refused to answer them.

JPJ seems to have gotten past the P&P snub but he certainly hasn't forgotten it. But, Plant seems to suggest that part of the reason that P&P stopped was because Page wasn't as 'healthy' (interesting euphemism!) as he is now.

If Robert prefers the audience to be drunk/stoned off our arses, there are plenty of us willing to roll with that -- just come on board, Robert!!

Hell, it wouldn't seem right not to "roll with that" (so to speak). :D

Archived