Robert Plant's 80s Coca Cola Commercial

As a commercial it's pretty good, I wouldn't mind watching it over and over again. And now for the ands,ifs, ors, and buts, that is really cheesy. I don't understand why Robert feels a need to do commercials. Maybe it's just me but since it's terribly obvious that if you don't go commercial you can still make it. That's how he got famous isn't it? Now he has an American Living commercial. Come on Robert, you are British.

Didn't he do something with 7-up back in the 70's also? What I find interesting about that is how he had always been against commercializing Zeppelin - but then used Jimmy's riffs for that commercial (to gain some solo success). Whatever Percy?!

As a commercial it's pretty good, I wouldn't mind watching it over and over again. And now for the ands,ifs, ors, and buts, that is really cheesy. I don't understand why Robert feels a need to do commercials. Maybe it's just me but since it's terribly obvious that if you don't go commercial you can still make it. That's how he got famous isn't it? Now he has an American Living commercial. Come on Robert, you are British.

He once explained in an interview with Kurt Loder on MTV in 1988 that while he felt in a sense Neil Young was right about it being a bit of a compromise artistically, he (Robert) wanted to reach a broader audience with his music.

I don't mind his doing the American Living Commercial because I believe that raises funds for charity. Doesn't bother me he's British supporting it.

Wow, I remember this commercial- I can't believe it was THAT long ago! I played the hell out of that album of his with this song -in '88, I think. I can't even remember the name of it now, was it Now and Zen? He is one sexy bastard.

Wow, I remember this commercial- I can't believe it was THAT long ago! I played the hell out of that album of his with this song -in '88, I think. I can't even remember the name of it now, was it Now and Zen? He is one sexy bastard.

Sexy is right!

It may be cheesey, too, but I totally forgive him. :D

Sexy is right!

It may be cheesey, too, but I totally forgive him. :D

He's so naughty, that's what I like about him. He should talk less and me more naughty.

I remember the song "Heaven Knows" off that album, once that thing gets stuck in your head it's all over.

He's so naughty, that's what I like about him. He should talk less and me more naughty.

I remember the song "Heaven Knows" off that album, once that thing gets stuck in your head it's all over.

LOL! Yeah, you would have to be naughty to write a song called Big Log, right? Or, am I the only one who gets that innuendo? :blink:

LOL! Yeah, you would have to be naughty to write a song called Big Log, right? Or, am I the only one who gets that innuendo? :blink:

Teehee! I had a poster of him back when that first album of his came out. He was workin' the mullet and the jeans with no socks, and the slip on shoes look. He had a penetrating gaze. I used to lay in bed and look at that poster until I got flustered, and then I'd pull the blanket over my face and peek out at it! :lol:

That song is awesome for a long road trip at night in the middle of nowhere.

Teehee! I had a poster of him back when that first album of his came out. He was workin' the mullet and the jeans with no socks, and the slip on shoes look. He had a penetrating gaze. I used to lay in bed and look at that poster until I got flustered, and then I'd pull the blanket over my face and peek out at it! :lol:

That song is awesome for a long road trip at night in the middle of nowhere.

LOL! Robert really sported some interesting wardrobe in the 80's. But I guess that was the style back then...just plain God-awful! Still, everytime I watch TSRTS, or just see a pic of Robert from the 70's, I just can't believe how hot he was. I mean everything was just beautiful...his face, his body, the way he sang, the way he moved. Crazy!!

Allright, I have had my fill of fantasizing about Robert in his tight bell bottoms for tonight. I'm outta here! Goodnight, Suz!! ;)

LOL! Robert really sported some interesting wardrobe in the 80's. But I guess that was the style back then...just plain God-awful! Still, everytime I watch TSRTS, or just see a pic of Robert from the 70's, I just can't believe how hot he was. I mean everything was just beautiful...his face, his body, the way he sang, the way he moved. Crazy!!

Allright, I have had my fill of fantasizing about Robert in his tight bell bottoms for tonight. I'm outta here! Goodnight, Suz!! ;)

He certainly was a sight to behold :blink: Dayum, I know what you mean. 'Night! B)

:lol: I remember this commerical. It was during the summer olympics I believe .. I was only 8 or 9 so I could be wrong about that bit. I loved that song and thought it was sooo cute lol.

• 1 year later...

It was only aired once in 88 during the super bowl as my mom tells me.

False. This commercial debuted in the United States on June 21, 1988 (the first day of summer) as part of Coca-Cola's "Official Soft Drink of Summer" advertising campaign. It also aired on June 26, 1988 at 10:55pm during channel ABC's presentation of the Atlantic Record's 40th Anniversary Concert held at Madison Square Garden in NY on May 14, 1988.

It would have also aired many times afterward on different stations at different times.

No.

There's an article posted in the News Forum with his comments on why he did this one

(to reach a broader audience).

He had a handful of bands that were already taking "Robert Plant" to a broader audience......Great White, Whitesnake, Kingdom Come to name a few.......

Archived