Robert Plant's 80s Coca Cola Commercial

Exactly. I posted that last quote, which I came upon by accident by the way, because I thought it was relevant to this thread. Robert Plant's inconsistent remarks does not affect my life one iota. I have politicians, lawmakers, lawyers, law enforcement, doctors, bosses, co-workers, family members, friends, & girlfriends to fulfill that criteria in my life. If anyone has a problem with a thread that may lend itself to some criticism towards Robert I suggest the "Hot pics of Robert" thread. Very little controversy over there. Oh wait, there is a debate over whether Robert's hair was sexier on the 1977 tour as opposed to the 1980 tour. A consensus it seems has been made, while some may prefer his hair in 77 to 80 & vice versa, all parties agree that Robert Plant's hair has always been sexy. Controversy averted.

There is a vast difference between criticism of the substance, and criticism based solely on the fact that someone has changed his mind or expressed his thoughts differently--everybody does this. And I'm immeasurably tired of being told that because people find such arguments annoying, that's because they're only interested in the looks of the person in question. When was the last time you saw me post on that subject, for instance? And on behalf of those who do post on that subject--it's possible to be interested in someone's music, to be critical of certain aspects of it (for example, the Krauss project), and to appreciate the way they look. Enough with the overdone sarcasm, OK? ;)

There is one thing I don't get, yes Robert has changed his mind, so what? He is just a mere mortal as everyone of us, big deal?

Oh wait, since I'm still posting in the Hot Pics of Robert thread I guess I have no right to mix into this discussion.

oh, wait again, now I'm thinking about, as someone who has been in that thread often enough I dont' remember the hair debatte. :o

Of course all people change their minds. There are just those people who do it much more than others. Much more so. Those people are vastly inconsistent & probably should expect to be called out on it. I certainly hold the people in my life to those standards & I expect them to hold me to those standards in return. People who are very inconsistent are frustrating to deal with because when is it that a person is simply "changing their mind" or talking a line of bullsh*t? We all come to our own conclusions on the matter. I certainly came to my own conclusions on this matter by Plant's own words over the span of 4 years on this specific subject.

And I wasn't singleing "anyone" out specifically about going over to the "Hot pics of Robert" thread because honestly, and I'm not sorry to say, I don't venture over there at all & really don't know who posts what over there. I imagine it's a nice place though where everyone agrees, and no I'm not being sarcastic there.

Of course all people change their minds. There are just those people who do it much more than others. Much more so. Those people are vastly inconsistent & probably should expect to be called out on it. I certainly hold the people in my life to those standards & I expect them to hold me to those standards in return. People who are very inconsistent are frustrating to deal with because when is it that a person is simply "changing their mind" or talking a line of bullsh*t? We all come to our own conclusions on the matter. I certainly came to my own conclusions on this matter by Plant's own words over the span of 4 years on this specific subject.

And I wasn't singleing "anyone" out specifically about going over to the "Hot pics of Robert" thread because honestly, and I'm not sorry to say, I don't venture over there at all & really don't know who posts what over there. I imagine it's a nice place though where everyone agrees, and no I'm not being sarcastic there.

Leos tend to be stubborn though. Perhaps the inconsistencies are the saving grace that allow his playful side to emerge.

Robert Plant "Legends Of Rock" radio broadcast 1988, the quote is really from 1986:

"I know that alot of people are disgusted everytime I play that I don't play Zeppelin stuff. And alot of people don't come because they think that I've wishy-washed my way to near obscurity, you know, with these kinds of songs I've done. But at least I've put my balls on the line way back and meant it to hell, you know. I mean... that my solo career is, is far more important for me to suceed solo wise, then to do a Led Zeppelin tour and get paid thousands and thousands of dollars by Coca-Cola or something like that. And maybe, I don't know, maybe there's a sincerity, or maybe what I'm playing is pretty good. Not as good as Zeppelin probably..."

Do I really have to comment? I guess a person will eat their words more than once in life. Well half eat, since he wasn't paid thousands and thousands of dollars by Coca-Cola for a Led Zeppelin tour but his own solo tour two years later. I guess there is a difference. What that difference is I don't know, but to Robert Plant I'm sure it was all justified two years later. And then he considered it a mistake two years after that in 1990 biggrin.gif . Yup, Robert Plant in the late 80's through...(?), always very consistent in his comments.

Is that a direct quote? My goodness, I had no idea.

Leos tend to be stubborn though. Perhaps the inconsistencies are the saving grace that allow his playful side to emerge.

Lol, who knows :D . It just seems that the hero worship of one individual by many will let the constant inconsistencies in that person's comments/behaviour slide through the cracks, while that benefit of the doubt would probably never be applied to a person that those people didn't like who was equally inconsistent in that person's own comments/behaviour. I just find it absurd. We're all human & sometimes we all talk bullsh*t. Some people just can't acknowledge that a hero of their's is capable of that very human trait, thus almost making them somehow above human. You can be a fan of someone & still call them out on things they say and do. It's not a judgement on the person as a whole or on their craft, just a piece of it.

Lol, who knows :D . It just seems that the hero worship of one individual by many will let the constant inconsistencies in that person's comments/behaviour slide through the cracks, while that benefit of the doubt would probably never be applied to a person that those people didn't like who was equally inconsistent in that person's own comments/behaviour. I just find it absurd. We're all human & sometimes we all talk bullsh*t. Some people just can't acknowledge that a hero of their's is capable of that very human trait, thus almost making them somehow above human. You can be a fan of someone & still call them out on things they say and do. It's not a judgement on the person as a whole or on their craft, just a piece of it.

But that's my whole point! That his inconsistencies are no worse than the kind the rest of us are guilty of. He's not lying, he's just changing his mind, and being honest enough to say so. That's not a crime, and it being depicted as a negative trait is what I was objecting to. You were making him sound LESS than human, for doing something we all do! Objecting to him doing Coke ads is one thing--objecting to his own shifting feelings about it is another.

Lol, who knows biggrin.gif . It just seems that the hero worship of one individual by many will let the constant inconsistencies in that person's comments/behaviour slide through the cracks, while that benefit of the doubt would probably never be applied to a person that those people didn't like who was equally inconsistent in that person's own comments/behaviour. I just find it absurd. We're all human & sometimes we all talk bullsh*t. Some people just can't acknowledge that a hero of their's is capable of that very human trait, thus almost making them somehow above human. You can be a fan of someone & still call them out on things they say and do. It's not a judgement on the person as a whole or on their craft, just a piece of it.

Except me, I knew when he told the Forum audience that he would be back soon that soon could mean anything. After awhile you realize that it is only entertainment and not something upon which you could ever possibly rely.

But that's my whole point! That his inconsistencies are no worse than the kind the rest of us are guilty of. He's not lying, he's just changing his mind, and being honest enough to say so. That's not a crime, and it being depicted as a negative trait is what I was objecting to. You were making him sound LESS than human, for doing something we all do! Objecting to him doing Coke ads is one thing--objecting to his own shifting feelings about it is another.

I never said his inconsistencies were worse than mine or anyone's, never once even implied it, but if you took it that way well... . Also I never accused him of lying, just that he is totally inconsistent at times, particularly back then about numerous things but I stayed on topic with the Coke commercial & left it at that. I never said or implied it's a crime to be inconsistent, just frustrating for those who are on the recieving end the information. It's not a crime, it's just plain annoying coming from anyone regardless if it's Robert Plant or not. I never made him out to be less than human, that's quite a stretch. Really a stretch. Nothing like that anywhere that I had posted in the last 2 days. There must be a reason you feel that way & it's probably better that you ask yourself why you have taken what I posted that way. Of course I can object to his doing a coke commercial AS WELL to his own shifting feelings or not. It is allowed I believe, it just may not be a popular among those who feel the need to defend their idol from what they consider attacks, real or imagined.

Your complaints were less about the substance of his doing the commercials, and more about his shifting comments on it. Thus you were implying that he deserved criticism for undergoing a change of mind, despite the fact that everyone does this, which in turn implies that he is not allowed the same latitude as the rest of us--that he isn't worthy of abiding by the same human standards as the rest of us. We can get away with changing our minds; he's just a hypocrite. Hence "less than human."

You may need to ask yourself why you think people who disagree with you are mindless idolators. I objected to the Coke commercial too, FWIW.

Is that a direct quote? My goodness, I had no idea.

Yup. As I said I just came upon that quote by accident. I wasn't looking for it or something like it as I pretty much thought this thread died of natural causes some time ago. I was going through old magazines & articles then I saw this quote among various quotes from Plant, Page, & Peter Grant seperately & I broke out laughing & I thought I should post it as I thought it was relevant to this thread. I posted it, gave my opinion on it, & well here we are another sh*t storm later.

Your complaints were less about the substance of his doing the commercials, and more about his shifting comments on it. Thus you were implying that he deserved criticism for undergoing a change of mind, despite the fact that everyone does this, which in turn implies that he is not allowed the same latitude as the rest of us--that he isn't worthy of abiding by the same human standards as the rest of us. We can get away with changing our minds; he's just a hypocrite. Hence "less than human."

You may need to ask yourself why you think people who disagree with you are mindless idolators. I objected to the Coke commercial too, FWIW.

Well he certainly did change his mind, that's a fact. He often did change his mind, constantly, back and forth, back and forth. I didn't "imply" he "needed" criticism for changing his mind I outright said he's not "above" criticism for changing his mind. No implication there, I outright said it. There is a difference. If anything my point once again is that he's on the same playing ground as everyone else, that people who flip flop constantly, whether they're Robert Plant or not, can be called on it because it's annoying no matter who it's coming from. Simply put, it's annoying. I have the right to find that annoying. You find my criticism of his inconsistencies annoying. You have the right. See very human.

I don't find hypocrites "less than human". Au contraire, they're the most human of us all. I also don't find people who disagree with me to be "mindless idolators", just those who follow anyone blindly & think that there personal idols are above criticism. I couldn't be more clearer on the subject.

"...my solo career is...more important for me...then to do a Led Zeppelin tour..."

With Robert Plant you have to find the root meaning (or intent) of the words as opposed to the words themselves.

and get paid thousands and thousands of dollars by Coca-Cola or something like that.

Just to stay on topic. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

It's not so much the 80s Coca Cola commercial, because I think that I can live with that.

It's that sense of anxiety that at some point he may have made something similar to an unholy alliance with an east coast insurance company, the kind that takes premium and then cancels coverage when you get sick.

And that time difference always makes communication difficult because everyone is out to lunch or too busy when you need to talk to someone.

I guess that he is really hard to trust. You always have to remind yourself that after all it's just another show and he's just another performer.

We have to work and it's business as usual. After a while you just don't want to think about it anymore because it's too depressing. lol

Archived