TSA revises policy : Nipple Piercings OK to wear for air travel

The Rover

March 28, 2008

Texas Woman Forced To Remove Body Piercing With Pliers At Airport

Mandi Hamlin, who claims an airport security agent forced her to remove her nipple ring with pliers before boarding an airplane, demonstrates at a Los Angeles news conference what she did.

A Texas woman who says she was forced to remove a nipple ring with pliers at an airport security checkpoint wants an apology from federal security agents.

Mandi Hamlin says she was trying to board a flight from Lubbock to Dallas last month when she passed through the metal detector without problem. But she says when she was screened with a handheld detector, the device beeped.

Hamlin says she told the agent she had her nipples pierced, and offered to show a female agent in private, but a male agent said the jewelry would have to be removed.

Hamlin is now being represented by Gloria Allred, a well-known Los Angeles lawyer who often represents high-profile claims.

"There was no justification for the TSA officers to demand that Ms. Hamlin take out her piercings," says Allred. "TSA's policies which are posted up on the TSA websit make it clear that a pat down is the appropriate action to take when dealing with such piercings."

TSA officials say they are investigating Hamlin's allegations to see if its policies were followed.

----------------------------------------------------------

March 28, 2008

TSA'S RESPONSE

TSA has reviewed the circumstances related to the screening of a passenger with body piercings that occurred recently in Lubbock, Texas. It appears that the Transportation Security Officers involved properly followed procedures in that incident. They rightly insisted that the alarm that was raised be resolved. TSA supports the thoroughness of the Officers involved as they were acting to protect the passengers and crews of the flights departing Lubbock that day.

TSA has reviewed the procedures themselves and agrees that they need to be changed. In the future TSA will inform passengers that they have the option to resolve the alarm through a visual inspection of the article in lieu of removing the item in question. TSA acknowledges that our procedures caused difficulty for the passenger involved and regrets the situation in which she found herself. We appreciate her raising awareness on this issue and we are changing the procedures to ensure that this does not happen again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And so, with a "visual" inspection, body piercings can be allowed to be worn, and not removed, to fly on an airplane.

I assume this would also apply to tongue piercings, belly-button piercings, and vagina piercings. :o

I think I may have a new calling.... B):thumbsup:

Are you fucking kidding me?

Seriously, this whole "Homeland Security" thing this country's got going on is just fucking ridiculous.

As a woman who is NOT AT ALL A PRUDE, I am really pissed off at TSA's response to this. OF COURSE TSA will make every woman who claims to have pierced nipples show them before she can board a flight.

When I was 17, I was publicly humiliated in the Baltimore Airport by an airport security person. This was PRE-9/11, and the woman groped my bra and breasts to prove that I had an underwire on. I think that by looking at the physique of certain women that you can be sure certain ones will have underwires.

Seriously. :rolleyes:

You guys are so bad! I heard about this on the radio in the car today, and I went "AARRRRGGGHHH!" Nasty.

:blush: Because I thought it would hurt. Shows how much I know- there's no mention of that in the article. Oops.

Aw geez...that's NOT what I want to see. LOL

I think I've already spoken my mind about nude airlines--if I am going to sit on a chair naked for more than two seconds, let alone a few hours, that chair better be 100% sterilized between flights! :lol:

Welcome to Terrorist-Proof Airlines (TPA)

We at TPA, Terrorist-Proof Airlines, are in the flying business!

We can absolutely guarantee

no walk-on GUNS,KNIVES,

BOX CUTTERS,SHOE-BOMBS

or other weapons will ever be carried onto our flights.

Warning: Image is NC-15...

It'll never work. There are still places to hide weapons.

It'll never work. There are still places to hide weapons.

I think that stripping includes a very thorough search...

The only way I could see weapons being hid are by swallowing and regurgitating them... and I got a feeling the terrorists would be dead before they could get those weapons out of their stomachs...

Awww, you guys don't want to fondle men to find their ding-a-ling piercing?

Speaking of which, a close male friend of mine got one of those recently and naturally had to show all of us in our little group.....I don't know how he did that. I just don't.

Guys, this also includes the men with a Prince Albert. So i officially withdrew my name.

Oh shit, you're right.

I'm out.

Well, you could always specify that you'll inspect only the women...

Err... nvm.

I'm out, too.

Awww, you guys don't want to fondle men to find their ding-a-ling piercing?

*pukes*

I inspect women and women only. :P:D

I just realized that even the women won't all look like the super models I originally imagined, put that together w/ the aforementioned "prince albert" what ever the hell that is, I'm out as well! :thanku:

Well, it's not like I'd be working out of San Francisco ! !

I think I'd sign on for Spring Break.... one of those airports ! :D

Archived