American things famous in Europe

Bonham

Can you think of anything that's created in America and not well known or popular there, but on the other hand very popular in Europe? A few years ago I felt the Freelancer game was one of these things, since the most busy servers and ingeniously crafted mods are all by Europeans. Today from wikipedia I found out the song "Is this the way to Amarillo" is also famous in Europe and unknown in America. I don't understand why though, this song sounds really good.

any others you can think of?

Going back in music history, it was common for American blues, soul, an R&B artists to be more embraced in Europe than in America, where racism was still very much a problem. Hence why the guys from the 60's like Clapton and Robert Plant really got into American blues artists when they toured through Europe. I was reading just today about Otis Redding touring through Europe on the Stax/Volt Records tour, and kids over there just going crazy for him.

Bebo is an American based social network that just sold for 850 million dollars. It's in the top three of international social networks and internet sites, but it's not even in the 100 in america.

Never heard of it. :(

Going back in music history, it was common for American blues, soul, an R&B artists to be more embraced in Europe than in America, where racism was still very much a problem. Hence why the guys from the 60's like Clapton and Robert Plant really got into American blues artists when they toured through Europe. I was reading just today about Otis Redding touring through Europe on the Stax/Volt Records tour, and kids over there just going crazy for him.

It wasn't just the blues artists though, a lot of American Rock and Rollers such as Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran were far more popular in the UK than in the USA, even Buddy Holly...

In fact, when Buddy Holly died, it was front-page news in Britain, but not in America...

I think too, one of the reasons could've been that, oddly enough, the British had better access to the records that Americans. I believe that if American records were imported into Britain, the records were distributed all over Britain, how ever I believe that when they went on sale in America, they were only sold in the area they were made, so a lot of people in California didn't even get to buy Nashville-made records...

American things famous in Europe, but not popular in America :P

36632234.jpg

DAMMIT! My second idea! Yeah, why do people in other countries love our most annoying celebrities? Paris Hilton is like a goddess in Japan, what the fuck.

In fact, when Buddy Holly died, it was front-page news in Britain, but not in America...

I remember it being on the front page in California that morning; when my uncle went out happy and smiling to pick up the newspaper from the front porch and came back looking grim and sad, I knew something was wrong.

But of course it would make sense if the story were front page news in Los Angeles, because Ritchie Valens was from Los Angeles, and he died along with Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper.

Donna Ludwig, by then at James Monroe High School, heard the news from a girlfriend. "Donna"--her song--was the No. 3 pop record in America, but school officials would not let the distraught senior leave campus. By the next afternoon, the Valley Times caught on that Ritchie was a local phenomenon but relegated the follow-up story to page two. When the Valley News and Green Sheet came out the following day, finally there was a picture of Ritchie on the front page and the headline became "Valley Singer, 3 Others Die." The Los Angeles Times, also late to the story, ran an interview that morning with Ludwig.

www.kevinroderick.com/valens

Hey, America...count yourself lucky you don't know who this tw*t is. Mercifully, he seems to have finally shuffled under a carpet here.

*edit* Oops, I just realised Bonham said things created in America (it's first thing in the morning here...I'm still half alseep) but I'm gonna keep the post in if I may? I just need to vent some anger, can't stand the bloke!! :lol:

robbiea3frontoz4.jpg

02PAC46md.jpg

Not that we don't have Heinz Baked Beans here (it is actually an American product), but we don't have the same love for them right out of the can that the Brits do. And we certainly don't usually put them on toast with eggs and have them for breakfast either.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, America...count yourself lucky you don't know who this tw*t is. Mercifully, he seems to have finally shuffled under a carpet here.

*edit* Oops, I just realised Bonham said things created in America (it's first thing in the morning here...I'm still half alseep) but I'm gonna keep the post in if I may? I just need to vent some anger, can't stand the bloke!! :lol:

robbiea3frontoz4.jpg

We've got Robbie Williams over here, too. The skin-peeling video (haha, I don't remember anything about the song) used to be on MTV fairly frequently if I remember right.

robbiea3frontoz4.jpg

I LOVE Robbie. :D:D

Archived