Led Zeppelin Won't Release Comeback Concert DVD

Are they all closed-circuit feeds or band-produced videos? If they are genuine closed-circuit feeds they probably were not in circulation at the time the original article was written (1993).

Closed-circuit feeds. Been around for ages but I'm not sure if before '93.

Still doesn't confirm there is a Zep vid from Houston but certainly makes you think there is a very real possibility since vids from those bands during the same year do exist.

Closed-circuit feeds. Been around for ages but I'm not sure if before '93.

Still doesn't confirm there is a Zep vid from Houston but certainly makes you think there is a very real possibility since vids from those bands during the same year do exist.

You'd be surprised what kind of obscure video is out there and how far back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjU4KbiSBHk...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDwIuIHKirs

This from Hugh Jones of Proximity (an out of print Led Zeppelin fanzine):

The Houston 1977 Video

(Pro-Shot Video from The Summit, Houston, Texas 5/21/77)

The Story: Like other arenas around the country (including the Capital Centre in Landover and Seattle's Kingdome), The Houston Summit has its own closed circuit television system, and Zeppelin's performance was reportedly televised within the building during the show.

I was at that 1977 Houston Show. Before I attended that show, I had heard that ZZ Top used the video screens for thier show, and that there were shots of the audience, with -some- ladies pulling up thier shirts for the camera, and their ta-tas showing up on the video screens.

So, I -was- looking to sww what kind of views might come up at a -Led Zeppelin- concert.

Sadly to say..... there was nothing that ever came up on any video screens. By nothing, I mean nothing ! Not the band, not the audience, nada, zip - nothing.

Also, there were no camera operators on or around the stage.

The Summit, being an older arena, by today's standards, I do not believe The Summit had a ring of Suites. So, no Suites = no TV Monitors....

But that said....IF someone, secretly operated a camera from the back of auditorium, and filmed and taped the show, secretly, then that is anyone's guess -- until proff of such a secret filming and taping is presented. I would make inquiry to all of the people that had acess to operate a camera in the rear of the auditorium.

I was at that 1977 Houston Show. Before I attended that show, I had heard that ZZ Top used the video screens for thier show, and that there were shots of the audience, with -some- ladies pulling up thier shirts for the camera, and their ta-tas showing up on the video screens.

So, I -was- looking to sww what kind of views might come up at a -Led Zeppelin- concert.

Sadly to say..... there was nothing that ever came up on any video screens. By nothing, I mean nothing ! Not the band, not the audience, nada, zip - nothing.

The Summit, being an older arena, by today's standards, I do not believe The Summit had a ring of Suites. So, no Suites = no TV Monitors....

But that said....IF someone, secretly operated a camera from the back of auditorium, and filmed and taped the show, secretly, then that is anyone's guess -- until proff of such a secret filming and taping is presented. I would make inquiry to all of the people that had acess to operate a camera in the rear of the auditorium.

Thank you Rover.

Buzzkiller.

:D

Led Zeppelin are to disappoint fans by not releasing a DVD or CD of their one-off comeback concert.

Thousands of music lovers who could not get tickets for their O2 gig in December had been hoping they could watch or listen at home.

But guitarist Jimmy Page said: "It was recorded - but we didn't go in with the express purpose of making a DVD to come out at Christmas, or whatever." Page said a future release "at some distant point" was remotely possible. B)

Funny how it was not so long ago a certain Forum member were being derided for saying as much, on the basis of being well informed from undisclosed sources, funny that, isn't it.....

Indi.

Funny how it was not so long ago a certain Forum member were being derided for saying as much, on the basis of being well informed from undisclosed sources, funny that, isn't it.....

Indi.

Exactly!!! The same thing crossed my mind when I read this. :)

Led Zeppelin are to disappoint fans by not releasing a DVD or CD of their one-off comeback concert.

Thousands of music lovers who could not get tickets for their O2 gig in December had been hoping they could watch or listen at home.

But guitarist Jimmy Page said: "It was recorded - but we didn't go in with the express purpose of making a DVD to come out at Christmas, or whatever." Page said a future release "at some distant point" was remotely possible. B)

Indi.

Exactly!!! The same thing crossed my mind when I read this. :)

Yeah, i thought the same exact thing, but then i notice the difference between a fan and there "undisclosed source" and a Newspaper and the fucking guitarist.

Hi all,

It was recorded and filmed,still as Steve A.Jones pointed out,rightly,one does not 'slap together' a DVD.It's a hell of alot of work and we know Herr Page is not going to let out anything that is not of the highest quality.He'll also ask for Robert's and John's input as well and those guys are busy. I can wait.

Last night watched some of the YouTube clips,some of the best, sounded good and look ok.Imagine how good the DVD will be that was done professionally.

KB

How come Robert can act like a ass so much and everyone let's him slide ? He said he felt embarrassed about singing the songs as Led Zeppelin at the 02 gig. I wonder if he feels this way when he sings Zeppelin songs in his solo band ?? Hey Robert get over it. You would be a nobody without Zeppelin. It's only rock & roll dude !! Sure there are a few mistakes from the 02 gig but so what!! Release it already.

Good. Don't release it. Package some of the songs from (bl)02 as the Led Zeppelin DVD did with other unreleased vids that are out there but Page won't pay for it or release it seeing that it is not of quality. Hogwash. Put it all out on DVD and let the fans decide on what they want to purchase. Enough of this high horse crap of only releasing quality video.

Hi all,

It was recorded and filmed,still as Steve A.Jones pointed out,rightly,one does not 'slap together' a DVD.It's a hell of alot of work and we know Herr Page is not going to let out anything that is not of the highest quality.He'll also ask for Robert's and John's input as well and those guys are busy. I can wait.

Last night watched some of the YouTube clips,some of the best, sounded good and look ok.Imagine how good the DVD will be that was done professionally.

KB

I wouldn't be so sure that a "professionally" mixed video of concert would be as pleasing as some of the You Tube shots that have a nice fixed view of the stage, and therby let's the viewer decode where to look, instead of the usual camer on the ------, while Jimmy is soloing/riffing.....

Yeah... that IS what I'm talking about..

I wouldn't be so sure that a "professionally" mixed video of concert would be as pleasing as some of the You Tube shots that have a nice fixed view of the stage, and therby let's the viewer decode where to look, instead of the usual camer on the ------, while Jimmy is soloing/riffing.....

Yeah... that IS what I'm talking about..

MULTI ANGLE DVD.

Hi all,

KB

Since the show was recorded with modern recording equipment, presumably of very high quality, I would imagine that a DVD could be 'slapped together' quite quickly. It's not like the footage has to be baked for several hours and fully remastered like they had to with the Led Zeppelin 'DVD' released in 2003.

I saw The Who in concert a while ago and they did a great thing where you could order a DVD and CD of the show you attended. You just went onto a website and selected the particular show you saw them at and they sent you a DVD. You only had to wait a couple of months after the concert and the DVD is of very high quality. All the money goes to charity as well!

When Jimmy states that 'it'll be a massive job to embark on' I hope he isn't intending to edit the shit out of it in an attempt cover over any mistakes and artificially enhance the performance. There really is no need, they're all a lot older now and I think we can understand if their technical abilities are not 100% perfect. I hoped it would be released in time for christmas this year and having not been lucky enough to attend the 02 concert I am very dissapointed.

I don't mean to complain, but it does feel like the fans get cheated by something like this. I mean really, 40 years of Zep, and all we get is 3 official live releases, and 90% of the songs on them were never really technically played as they sound on the discs. I'm sick of waiting 10 years for a live release that has the same damn set list as the last one and has been edited into the floor...

I know there's bootlegs and it's Page's band, he can do what he wants. I just get frustrated, that's all.

I think you're completely wrong about them not thinking about their fans. If they toured, did crappy show because there not completely into it, set high prices for tickets, and offer them to anybody, (which means scalpers too) would that make them care more about their fans or not. If peter grant was alive, he would not do shit, he never pushed anyone, including plant in 77 and 79,80 when his head was not in it. and he surely didn't pushed jonsey back in 73. He did talk to them and made sure they got what they wanted to happen. Should Page go back, and do a half ass job on the O2 video so he could just make millions, so some fans would be delighted. Zep isn't selling caskets, they aren't selling their songs to TV shows, they ain't putting the Coca Cola symbol on their dragon suits. Zeppelin never ever screwed the fans. Everybody was eligible to get tickets, it didn't matter if you were rich or poor. It was a charity concert. I think it was the fairest way to hand out tickets. Doy uo think it would be more fair to fans if they just auctioned them off to the highest bidder. So fucking what if your favorite band in the world decided not to tour. For the $15 you paid for each CD entitles you to those songs on those Cd's,and nothing else.

If Zep ever turned into a joke like the Stones, The Who and The Police are to some people. I would burn every CD i own.

Your wrong that tix were available to evryone, how is that paris hilton and a bunch of trash celebrities got tix, but not real fans? I'll tell you, because the sclapers do this for a living, they enter as many names as they can in the raffle so they can get tix, don't give me the ID bull, there are ways around that! tix sold on Ebay, people paid a lot more than face value, it didnt work! other than that i agree with you for the most part

Is there a way to get rid of the feedback problemes? Can he repair the mistake they made in Dazed and Confused, or the guiar coming in a bit too late in No Quarter?I don’t think there is chance Page would release these, unless they can fix these things.

Is there a way to get rid of the feedback problemes? Can he repair the mistake they made in Dazed and Confused, or the guiar coming in a bit too late in No Quarter?I don’t think there is chance Page would release these, unless they can fix these things.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read in another thread that they may be able to use soundcheck audio to cover any mistakes. When I have viewed Ross Halfin's photos of the rehearsals, you can also see a camera in one photo so it was filmed too...presumeably, as a dry run for the cameramen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read in another thread that they may be able to use soundcheck audio to cover any mistakes. When I have viewed Ross Halfin's photos of the rehearsals, you can also see a camera in one photo so it was filmed too...presumeably, as a dry run for the cameramen.

They could use audio from the dry rehearsal because more than likely any mistakes made you would never notice on film - unless there was some facial grimace during it!

I wouldn't imagine they would piece together video (like TSRTS) but splicing in audio would be a possibility.There is NO WAY Page would release Dazed and Confused with the flub-up that is in it. And one I pointed out before, Plant's vocal in GTBT isn't quite on note after the chord change, right after the first chorus....during the "seventeen I fell in love" line. There's no way Plant would put that out as an official release. Those among other flubs. But as I said before as a fan, the flubs didn't bother me one bit - but Pagey may feel otherwise!

So if you look at it that way, using just audio from the show, you could ax GTBT for vocal (and the massive feedback) problems unless those could be spliced in from additional audio, like in a rehearsal. Could you imagine releasing the show without the opening number? No way.

Which all leads me to this conclusion - there isn't a chance this will ever be released in its entirety as-is.

But us Zep fans have been blessed by the tons of boots available but keep in mind, the critics don't listen to the boots, they listen to the official releases which is why Pagey spends so much time editing them. Those are going to be the documented history of the band in the publics mind.....not Destroyer and Mudslide.

Is there a way to get rid of the feedback problemes? Can he repair the mistake they made in Dazed and Confused, or the guiar coming in a bit too late in No Quarter?I don't think there is chance Page would release these, unless they can fix these things.

Creative overdubbing and editing can disguise almost anything, but it takes time to do.

All of the Led Zeppelin live releases are arguably "studio albums" insofar as they were

not released as true historical documents.

Your wrong that tix were available to evryone, how is that paris hilton and a bunch of trash celebrities got tix, but not real fans? I'll tell you, because the sclapers do this for a living, they enter as many names as they can in the raffle so they can get tix, don't give me the ID bull, there are ways around that! tix sold on Ebay, people paid a lot more than face value, it didnt work! other than that i agree with you for the most part

So what was the reason they wouldn't let you buy a ticket? Besides that you didn't win the lottery like the rest of the 89 million.

Since the show was recorded with modern recording equipment, presumably of very high quality, I would imagine that a DVD could be 'slapped together' quite quickly. It's not like the footage has to be baked for several hours and fully remastered like they had to with the Led Zeppelin 'DVD' released in 2003.

I saw The Who in concert a while ago and they did a great thing where you could order a DVD and CD of the show you attended. You just went onto a website and selected the particular show you saw them at and they sent you a DVD. You only had to wait a couple of months after the concert and the DVD is of very high quality. All the money goes to charity as well!

When Jimmy states that 'it'll be a massive job to embark on' I hope he isn't intending to edit the shit out of it in an attempt cover over any mistakes and artificially enhance the performance. There really is no need, they're all a lot older now and I think we can understand if their technical abilities are not 100% perfect. I hoped it would be released in time for christmas this year and having not been lucky enough to attend the 02 concert I am very dissapointed.

I agree, how massive could it be?

That's cool what The Who do. Nice example for other bands....:shifty: we would hope.

We don't want perfection, at least I don't.

I as well. I'm surprised Knebworth 1979 hasn't been released yet. It's been worked on

already for the Led Zeppelin DVD. Same for Earls Court 1975.

I may have mentioned this before on this forum, but in an interview with JP 9 (or in the booket of the dvd) around the time the 2003 DVD was released, he stated that Knebworth wasn't released seperately, since he felt the performance was a bit uneven at times. Regarding, the Earls Courts shows, the video was mainly used for the video scren that was behind them for the shows. He felt it would be difficult to release it as a full show since pretty much all of the footage are closeups.

Archived