Led Zeppelin Won't Release Comeback Concert DVD

I may have mentioned this before on this forum, but in an interview with JP 9 (or in the booket of the dvd) around the time the 2003 DVD was released, he stated that Knebworth wasn't released seperately, since he felt the performance was a bit uneven at times. Regarding, the Earls Courts shows, the video was mainly used for the video scren that was behind them for the shows. He felt it would be difficult to release it as a full show since pretty much all of the footage are closeups.

Oh, I see what you (and JPJ) mean -- Knebworth "highlights" were included on the dvd. I still think they could pull off a complete (albiet heavily edited) Earls Court dvd. The Empress Valley release 'Heavy Metal Kids' is flat out stunning.

Yes, what the Who did is a really cool thing to do. I don't suppose that sort of thing would even cross Jimmy Page's mind though; too much loose, not enough tight... B)

It does raise the question, many people have seen amatuer shot and recorded footage of this, and it's all over YouTube. Not unlike how there's a been a whole sub-culture of fans trading bootlegs from the beginning... so, it's not like the feedback problems and the flubs here and there aren't accepted by the fans. Maybe it is a question of not wanting those things to be part of the "official" record?

Really, got to agree with Steve, it's only been three months. Now, waiting 30 years ala HTWWW might be a bit extreme, but patience is a virtue.

I don't mean to complain, but it does feel like the fans get cheated by something like this. I mean really, 40 years of Zep, and all we get is 3 official live releases, and 90% of the songs on them were never really technically played as they sound on the discs. I'm sick of waiting 10 years for a live release that has the same damn set list as the last one and has been edited into the floor...

I know there's bootlegs and it's Page's band, he can do what he wants. I just get frustrated, that's all.

I see where your coming from, but there is a finite market for live albums. You have the BBC Sessions, How The West Was Won and The Song Remains The Same, plus the Led Zeppelin DVD. You want more? Well, that's where the bootlegs become important. I've got so many Zeppelin shows now I don't even have the time to listen to them, and I'm a fan. The average casual buyer of "classic rock" albums would probably have the same apathy regarding official live releases.

A good example of this is the recent TSRTS soundtrack remaster. It was in the "bargain bin" of certain retail websites within a week of its release. Ditto the DVD of the same.

Let's face it. TSRTS is old news and no amount of fiddling changes that. It doesn't really mean anything related to future Zep products.

But it's all "old news." What exactly was new at the O2? So they played For Your Life, what of it? Any future Zeppelin live releases will just be the past revisited and there's little mileage in that, the bootleggers have that area well covered for those who want it.

But it's all "old news." What exactly was new at the O2? So they played For Your Life, what of it? Any future Zeppelin live releases will just be the past revisited and there's little mileage in that, the bootleggers have that area well covered for those who want it.

Don't forget they also played Good Times Bad Times and Ramble On for the first time.

At least I have never heard those songs on any old bootlegs.

Don't forget they also played Good Times Bad Times and Ramble On for the first time.

About half of Good Times Bad Times was played in the Communication Breakdown medley at the "Blueberry Hill" show, Los Angeles 1970.

However that's not the point. The point is that you can only release the same things so many times no matter what the format. I mean the world really needed Mothership didn't it?

Is there a way to get rid of the feedback problemes? Can he repair the mistake they made in Dazed and Confused, or the guiar coming in a bit too late in No Quarter?I don’t think there is chance Page would release these, unless they can fix these things.

Led Zeppelin's imperfections are what make Led Zeppelin perfect.

It seems like a slap in the face, really. Zep hasn't had a good concert since around 1977 (Zep, not Page and Plant). I can tell from the crappy cellphone vids on Youtube that I would kill to see that concert, and having a full HD experience of it would be amazing.

But Mothership was needed simply to phase out the Early Days & Latter Days releases.

Even Jimmy has suggested not buying it.

I fail to see what was wrong with the Early Days & Latter Days compilations, apart from the packaging and artwork. Which was clearly not addressed on Mothership either. :D

And I took Jimmy's suggestion myself. Who am I to argue with Mr Page? ;)

I fail to see what was wrong with the Early Days & Latter Days compilations, apart from the packaging and artwork. Which was clearly not addressed on Mothership either. :D

And I took Jimmy's suggestion myself. Who am I to argue with Mr Page? ;)

Well, the Early Days/Latter Days CDs are missing Over the Hills and Heartbreaker, and I really don't see how The Battle of Evermore was a greatest hit. I think the Mothership CD is better, although it is missing Ten Years Gone, which could've easily replaced D'yer Mak'er.

The suits can stick their Christmas Release concerns up their asses. It's not Led Zeppelin's job to save the music industry.

You mean like they did in '79 with the release of "In thru the Out Door"? I hear 'ya there! "The suits" should know by now that things only happnen with these lads in zeppelin-time! In other words, whenever the f-ck they are ready!!!

I mean the world really needed Mothership didn't it?

Uh, yeah, just like we "needed" early/latter days....I cant understand why anyone couldn't buy the original albums/cds and experience them in the origingal context the songs were meant to be heard in...sorry, maybe it's just me....I fucking hate 'greatest hits' or 'compilations'...man-up and buy the original article...

Uh, yeah, just like we "needed" early/latter days....I cant understand why anyone couldn't buy the original albums/cds and experience them in the origingal context the songs were meant to be heard in...sorry, maybe it's just me....I fucking hate 'greatest hits' or 'compilations'...man-up and buy the original article...

I bought both early and latter days for the video. which back then, was a cool thing to have on a cd. I bought the two disc remasters just so i had a mix CD of zep, I had a 12 disc CD Changer, but never did like the sound. I will never buy mothership, because I just think its wrong. I heard it does not sound good, but it would be good for a casual fan to buy it. I have an ipod filled with 542 Zep songs all with a bit rate of 320 for the bootlegs and around 1000vbr for the albums. anything over 320kbps is overkill tho.

But you know the industry loves Greatest Hits and compilation releases primarily because all of the material is already in the can and secondly these releases entice new listeners to start exploring the back catalogs.

I bought both early and latter days for the video. which back then, was a cool thing to have on a cd. I bought the two disc remasters just so i had a mix CD of zep, I had a 12 disc CD Changer, but never did like the sound. I will never buy mothership, because I just think its wrong. I heard it does not sound good, but it would be good for a casual fan to buy it. I have an ipod filled with 542 Zep songs all with a bit rate of 320 for the bootlegs and around 1000vbr for the albums. anything over 320kbps is overkill tho.

yeah, i can understand the need for something 'newbs' can latch onto to get a taste of the band. It's just when i think of compilations and the such, I think of the Who and their endless stream of re-packaging...you cant please every one with these things, so why try? Everyone has their faves, no doubt....to me, though, how can you listen to "Your Time is Gonna Come" without the segueway into "Black Mountainside" and again the segue into COmm Breakdown....In my ears, they belong together...that three song thing right there was sheer brilliance...that's something you dont get on greatest hits pkgs: context.

I understand people wanting a "taste" of the band, but at the end of the day, how many "greatest hits" do you need? do those greatest hits change over the years? oh no, Early Days/Latter Days is missing a song! the artwork is not right! come on, most of the time they miss a song on purpose, to make people buy more cd's.

Actually, according to "The Concert File" Led Zep played Carnegie Hall in New York on 17 October 1969. They played two sets...one at 8PM and one at midnight and included "Good Times Bad Times" in the set list - and not as part of a medley.

Actually, according to "The Concert File" Led Zep played Carnegie Hall in New York on 17 October 1969. They played two sets...one at 8PM and one at midnight and included "Good Times Bad Times" in the set list - and not as part of a medley.

Actually, probably only the Intro to GTBT was played as it was standard as an introduction to Communication Breakdown on this, their fourth tour of the U.S. in 1969. Just listen to the Paris Olympia broadcast which was performed just a week prior to this as an example.

Even though i agree that one should be out already i understand that it takes alot of planning and effort to put out a DVD of this nautre. But i dont doupt that one day when the time is right we will see it. If its good enough to market Jimmy will do it no doupt. Plus he might not have the means, people or time that he wants to actually sit down and get to it... just some things to consider!

I think you're completely wrong about them not thinking about their fans. If they toured, did crappy show because there not completely into it, set high prices for tickets, and offer them to anybody, (which means scalpers too) would that make them care more about their fans or not. If peter grant was alive, he would not do shit, he never pushed anyone, including plant in 77 and 79,80 when his head was not in it. and he surely didn't pushed jonsey back in 73. He did talk to them and made sure they got what they wanted to happen. Should Page go back, and do a half ass job on the O2 video so he could just make millions, so some fans would be delighted. Zep isn't selling caskets, they aren't selling their songs to TV shows, they ain't putting the Coca Cola symbol on their dragon suits. Zeppelin never ever screwed the fans. Everybody was eligible to get tickets, it didn't matter if you were rich or poor. It was a charity concert. I think it was the fairest way to hand out tickets. Doy uo think it would be more fair to fans if they just auctioned them off to the highest bidder. So fucking what if your favorite band in the world decided not to tour. For the $15 you paid for each CD entitles you to those songs on those Cd's,and nothing else.

If Zep ever turned into a joke like the Stones, The Who and The Police are to some people. I would burn every CD i own.

Nice, I cant say anyting more they you have written here.

People should beware the thinking that as this was a high quality recording etc it would be easy to get into releasable shape.

There is a 'law' we have in the film industry, and it applies to any creative field - I think it's called Browne's law. If you have 4 weeks to do something, you will not do it twice as well as if you had 2 weeks, you will probably only do it 50% better. This is because you don't work at full speed and concentration when you aren't right up against the deadline. You take time to experiment and try different things, and you work at a more relaxed pace.

Then the deadline rears up and you work really hard and hand it in right on the dot.

How does this apply? Just because there is no restorative work to do does not mean it will be any quicker than the DVD process. Because they don't have to spend the time on baking tapes etc, they will spend that time on other things.

A work of art is never finished, you just stop working on it.

People should beware the thinking that as this was a high quality recording etc it would be easy to get into releasable shape.

There is a 'law' we have in the film industry, and it applies to any creative field - I think it's called Browne's law. If you have 4 weeks to do something, you will not do it twice as well as if you had 2 weeks, you will probably only do it 50% better. This is because you don't work at full speed and concentration when you aren't right up against the deadline. You take time to experiment and try different things, and you work at a more relaxed pace.

Then the deadline rears up and you work really hard and hand it in right on the dot.

How does this apply? Just because there is no restorative work to do does not mean it will be any quicker than the DVD process. Because they don't have to spend the time on baking tapes etc, they will spend that time on other things.

A work of art is never finished, you just stop working on it.

Lovely post, thanks Cactus.

Reminds me of Parkinson's Law: Work expands to fill the time allotted.

Archived