Led Zeppelin Won't Release Comeback Concert DVD

could you please elaborate where in the song?? Do you literally mean Jimmy messed it up, or did he just not play certain licks you wanted/expected?

I was there and I dont remember thinking any part of that song was a mess up. Plus I have a great audience recording on cd and I am listening to it right now and I still dont hear a mess up.

Are you refering to the low string bends at the line "everybody tryin to tell me that you didnt mean me no good"? Or the licks after "ive been working been working been workin.."? If you are, those arent mess ups -- Page just didnt play exactly what we expected.

At about the 3:02- the 3:10 mark things start to thin out.

As I listen to it more closely, maybe Jason dropped his sticks there or something. :lol:

Again at the 3:55 mark. You choose to call it something unexpected, I think it was not what JP intended at all.

Jeez dude. It's not a big deal. Chill.

None that i am aware of. It's worth noting there were other venues on the tour with closed circuit capabilities but no Led Zeppelin footage is rumored to exist from them.

Personally, I think the fact NO tapes have surfaced from The Summit besides Prince, a more modern contemporary performer, speaks volumes. Besides I doubt Peter Grant would have permitted it. There are three fan reviews posted in the timeline and none

make any comment to having seen big screen videos employed. Hardly conclusive,

but there you have it.

I believe if Houston '77 exists at all it exists in Jimmy's tape vault as they did do some filming for a '77 tour documentary which never came about. I believe there is photographic proof film cameras were used at The Pontiac Silverdome. It's been a long time since I looked into any of this so I could be slightly mistaken.

I remember years ago, when MTV actually played music, I was flipping through the channels and caught a few minutes of Van Halen being interviewed in some sort of " VH special weekend" deal. They asked Michael Anthony (bass player) who were some of his influences and he poined out JPJ. He mentioned that he was so underrated but was such a powerful force and great player. As he was commenting on Jones, they were showing clips of him with Zeppelin. One shot I'll never forget was a clip of him playing with a white Alabama Troopers T-shirt on. I've seen the pic before. I think it's from 72' or something like that. Anyway, my point is that this quick footage of him was professional shot footage, like TSRTS type stuff. The sound was not present as Michael Anthony was talking, but the evidence of the clip made me realise that there may be something more than people have discovered or been officially exposed to already. This was definately pro-shot footage. Hopefully it's the real deal and we can see it one day??? As my boy up here always says though,....PATIENCE

And saying they won't release it is dumb at this point. Maybe they won't release it now but they will release it at one point.

I must respectfully disagree Nick. I don't see it ever coming out as an official release produced by Jimmy Page, no matter how great Kevin Shirley's abilities with Pro Tools. It was magnificent, but it wasn't perfect. They made their point. Emphatically! But upon review I don't see it as release worthy.

Have you heard a quality audience recording of the 02 concert? They were phenominal and it was unedited.

I have a copy, i got from Limewire, muddy sound, I would love to find a better sounding copy, and of course, the video, LOL

I remember years ago, when MTV actually played music, I was flipping through the channels and caught a few minutes of Van Halen being interviewed in some sort of " VH special weekend" deal. They asked Michael Anthony (bass player) who were some of his influences and he poined out JPJ. He mentioned that he was so underrated but was such a powerful force and great player. As he was commenting on Jones, they were showing clips of him with Zeppelin. One shot I'll never forget was a clip of him playing with a white Alabama Troopers T-shirt on. I've seen the pic before. I think it's from 72' or something like that. Anyway, my point is that this quick footage of him was professional shot footage, like TSRTS type stuff. The sound was not present as Michael Anthony was talking, but the evidence of the clip made me realise that there may be something more than people have discovered or been officially exposed to already. This was definately pro-shot footage. Hopefully it's the real deal and we can see it one day??? As my boy up here always says though,....PATIENCE

On the official DVD there was somwhere a video (in a menu, i don't rembember which it was) filmed form the stage-side. It was black and white footage and the song was D&C in the bow- section. Does anybody know from when this was? I believe 1971 or 1972. The quality of the footage was incredible good. Perhaps there is more form this concert avalible? I really like the early concerts.

...What I couldn't understand were Plant's "feedback" problems early on and well into a few songs. I know temperature changes (between sound check and concert), acoustics, stage audio levels, monitor levels ,etc play a part in it. A good soundcheck can't eliminate all potential feedback problems. Plant had the mike in it's stand early on and it looked like he (perhaps) got caught up in the moment playing again with the three Js (but each time he did it --- as a singer or any musician knows --- the feedback will keep occurring each time you aim/point a mic back into the direction of a speaker cabinet or monitor). I don' t think he purposely did it. (yeah, maybe he sabbotaged the dvd release with it (just kidding) :lol: That was my only (minor) complaint to the O2. Pages 3 bars versus the 4 bars part of D&C was the only real performance issue (but still minor in the overall outlook) of the night. Other than that, they did an outstanding job (especially Jason). I really loved that they only did 16 songs (leaving us wanting more) and that they did "For Your Life" (for Ahmet).

I do hope they eventually release it on DVD so all can see their tribute to Ahmet :)

Let's wait and see.

R B)

No assumptions made, just using that quote to make a point about messing up.

ok. I really dont care about this much, but for some reason i feel like something needs to be straightened out here.

Someone said Page screwed up twice in SIBLY. I said no he didnt at all. Someone else commented that he messed up Dazed. I am convinced it was Jason, so I say so. Then you comment that if I dont like mess ups i should sit at home and listen to albums.

Nowhere in this chain of events did I profess that I was dissatisfied with a mess up. I have collected Zeppelin shows for over 12 years and I love every one of them. Do you think I care about mess ups? Furthermore, I realized my dream by travelling to London to see the reunion show in December 2007. They could have played Yankee Doodle 25 times in a row and I'd have been happy. Do you really think I care if there's a slip up for 1 second during Dazed?

You are making an assumption that I was bothered by the mess up. Nowhere did I indicate that it affected me. Do I wish it never happened? of course. But you assumed that I was bitter about it and recommended me to sit at home and listen to albums if I dont like live music. I think you jumped the gun there John. I have performed live for many years playing guitar....trust me I know more than anyone that slip ups are ok and are just part of the show.

Not that I care what some guy on a msg board thinks of me, but I just get a little annoyed when someone hears other people use the "if you dont like live music and mess ups...." phrase like 50 times a day doesnt mean you can just throw it around saying it to anyone in the world and still make sense.

I must respectfully disagree Nick. I don't see it ever coming out as an official release produced by Jimmy Page, no matter how great Kevin Shirley's abilities with Pro Tools. It was magnificent, but it wasn't perfect. They made their point. Emphatically! But upon review I don't see it as release worthy.

your point is well taken, Ev --- but look at it in a different way:

This was an event that was in many ways the musical event of the decade -- on all kinds of levels. It will go down in history. The people who witnessed it were ecstatic to do so. Furthermore, there are many millions around the entire world who wish they witnessed it. In THAT respect, how could it not be released in some way?

Regarding the screwup in D&C. Jimmy played 3 bars instead of the full 4, leaving Jason's beautifully executed crossover triplets hanging in the wind. No dust on Jason. He nailed it.

First I got to say I'm no musician Ev :)

But, why did Jason say in the Rolling Stone article that he came in two bars early on D&C and that Jimmy looked at him as though to say "what are you doing?" ? Is Jason being over generous?

On the official DVD there was somwhere a video (in a menu, i don't rembember which it was) filmed form the stage-side. It was black and white footage and the song was D&C in the bow- section. Does anybody know from when this was? I believe 1971 or 1972. The quality of the footage was incredible good. Perhaps there is more form this concert avalible? I really like the early concerts.

I think you are referring to Iceland, june 1970. The rest of it is probly in Page's vaults, if there is a rest of it, that is. Who knows who shot it --- could have even been Peter Grant himself, as he has been seen many times behind the band or at the side of the stage shooting footage.

This was an event that was in many ways the musical event of the decade -- on all kinds of levels. It will go down in history. The people who witnessed it were ecstatic to do so. Furthermore, there are many millions around the entire world who wish they witnessed it. In THAT respect, how could it not be released in some way?

With respect it was a much revered rock band reforming to pay tribute to a friend. Not the second coming of Christ.

A sense of proportion is needed I think.

With respect it was a much revered rock band reforming to pay tribute to a friend. Not the second coming of Christ.

A sense of proportion is needed I think.

not saying its the second coming of Jesus Christ, just saying it was huge and for all intents and purposes, sucessfull in regards to what they wanted to accomplish. Why not have it officially documented and released?

not saying its the second coming of Jesus Christ, just saying it was huge and for all intents and purposes, sucessfull in regards to what they wanted to accomplish. Why not have it officially documented and released?

No idea. You'll have to ask Plant, Page and Jones that, I doubt you'll get an answer here.

i know that. but this is a message board where we as fans discuss that kind of stuff amongst ourselves, ya know.

I spotted that.

But as the question will probably never be answered, all the arguments will be circular and based on speculation so therefore pointless.

Rather like the preceding pages of this thread. Now there's a revelation.

it was an historic occasion as it was one of the very rare times a band gets a real zeitgeist moment. that's not necessarily a reason to release it, or at least to do so quickly and i would argue its the very reason they won't. sure, if they put it out for christmas it'll sell a lot more copies, but if they dont, they retain more kudos from the event. as soon as it's released there'll be the opportunity (possibly) for critics to say "it wasnt really worth the fuss was it?" and the event is reduced.

if they want to raise cash for ahmet's charity or similar, then release it sooner to capitalise on the moment, otherwise file it in the bank and let it wait

I spotted that.

But as the question will probably never be answered, all the arguments will be circular and based on speculation so therefore pointless.

Rather like the preceding pages of this thread. Now there's a revelation.

I like countless others want an official release DVD of the concert not answers.

I'm a glass half full type of bloke and yes I am hopeful it will eventuate.

It won't be the end of the world if it doesn't.

One thing, if it's pointless why do you keep responding?

I like countless others want an official release DVD of the concert not answers.

I'm a glass half full type of bloke and yes I am hopeful it will eventuate.

It won't be the end of the world if it doesn't.

One thing, if it's pointless why do you keep responding?

Oh, I enjoy futility.

... who knows when or if it will get released???

only Page, Plant, Jones (and maybe Jason)...

Let's look at the history of released DVDs of the members of Led Zeppelin since 1980 (and their reunions)

1983 --- ARMS concert for Ronnie Lane (MS) --- dvd released as an import in early 2000.

1985 --- Live Aid (DVD officially released without Led Zeppelin members performance)

1988 --- HBO/ 40th Anniversary Atlantic Records Concert (P,JP,JPJ & JB) --never officially released on DVD (5 song set --- audio problems, lackluster performances)

1990 --- Knebworth DVD officially released (3 songs :Page & Plant -"Wearing & Tearing, Misty Mountain Hop & "Rock N Roll"/ Plant's solo set performance edited from 6 songs to 4 (Liars Dance & Tie Die on the Highway edited out of DVD

Jason Bonham's Wedding (private affair --- the 4 of them performed a few Zep songs- never officially released)

1996 --- Rock N Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony/performance (never officially released on DVD)

2001 --- Concert for Monserrat (P&P performance (edited) on DVD (officilly released)

2002 --- Good Rockin' Tonight -- Page & Plant cover one Memphis blues tune on the dvd (interview too).

2004 --- P & P Unledded (MTV 10th Anniversary (VHS originally released in 1994) official DVD released)

2006 --- UFO (live in Germany (I believe) --- Jason Bonham on drums

2007 --- Foreigner live (Jason Bonham on drums)

2007 --- O2 Ahmet Tribute Concert (P, JP, JPJ and JB) --- not officially released

The track record doesn't look very good regarding much officially released Led Zeppelin (post 1980 "reunions/one-offs" material for DVD, so far.

We'll see..

R B)

ok. I really dont care about this much, but for some reason i feel like something needs to be straightened out here.

Someone said Page screwed up twice in SIBLY. I said no he didnt at all. Someone else commented that he messed up Dazed. I am convinced it was Jason, so I say so. Then you comment that if I dont like mess ups i should sit at home and listen to albums.

Nowhere in this chain of events did I profess that I was dissatisfied with a mess up. I have collected Zeppelin shows for over 12 years and I love every one of them. Do you think I care about mess ups? Furthermore, I realized my dream by travelling to London to see the reunion show in December 2007. They could have played Yankee Doodle 25 times in a row and I'd have been happy. Do you really think I care if there's a slip up for 1 second during Dazed?

You are making an assumption that I was bothered by the mess up. Nowhere did I indicate that it affected me. Do I wish it never happened? of course. But you assumed that I was bitter about it and recommended me to sit at home and listen to albums if I dont like live music. I think you jumped the gun there John. I have performed live for many years playing guitar....trust me I know more than anyone that slip ups are ok and are just part of the show.

Not that I care what some guy on a msg board thinks of me, but I just get a little annoyed when someone hears other people use the "if you dont like live music and mess ups...." phrase like 50 times a day doesnt mean you can just throw it around saying it to anyone in the world and still make sense.

I reiterate..................No assumption made. My post was about my opinion on onstage gaffs........Not about anything else in your post...................... you really have got a bit hot under the collar...... skin up a reefer and mellow out man.

I reiterate..................No assumption made. My post was about my opinion on onstage gaffs........Not about anything else in your post...................... you really have got a bit hot under the collar...... skin up a reefer and mellow out man.

point taken......yes, i did get a bit hot, just cause I dont want you to think I am one of those that needs to sit at home and listen to only albums. I understand and appreciate live rock and roll music as much as any other random person (at least I'd like to think so) --- and I have played live music myslef for several years, so I get it. I dont want a band that just re-gurgitates their albums onstage --- hence my long devotion to the Zeppelin.

I guess i would skin up a reefer, but I dont smoke! :)

Archived