• John Edwards
    • Mike Huckabee
    • John McCain
    • Barack Obama
    • Ron Paul
    • Mitt Romney
    • Bill Richardson
    • Fred Thompson

I brought up the point two weeks ago that you do no negotiate with terrorist or give them credibility like what Pres. Carter did with Hamas ans what obama wants to do.

Fox News website

Barack Obama struck back at President Bush and John McCain in tandem Friday, saying the president’s criticism the day before of politicians who would negotiate with terrorists and radicals is “exactly the kind of appalling attack that’s dividing our country and that alienates us from the world.”

Obama, campaigning in South Dakota, which holds its Democratic primary on June 3, used his appearance to ratchet up his fight with the White House.

His speech underscored how the Democratic front-runner is looking ahead to the general election. With Bush’s approval rating very low in most national polls, Obama seized every opportunity to lump McCain in with the president and his policies.

“George Bush and John McCain have a lot to answer for,” Obama said, ticking off grievances ranging from the billions spent on the Iraq war to the thousands of Americans who have been killed there.

“That’s the Bush-McCain record on protecting this country. Those are the failed policies that John McCain wants to double down on, because he still hasn’t spelled out one substantial way he’d be different from George Bush when it comes to foreign policy.”

Obama accused McCain of “fear-peddling” and of embracing Bush’s comments the day before during his address to Israel’s Knesset. He said the attacks were “dishonest” and “divisive.”

McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds fired back that Obama’s retort was a “hysterical diatribe in response to a speech in which his name wasn’t even mentioned.”

“These are serious issues that deserve a serious debate, not the same tired partisan rants we heard today from Senator Obama,” Bounds said in a statement. “It would be a wonderful thing if we lived in a world where we don’t have enemies. But that is not the world we live in, and until Senator Obama understands that, the American people have every reason to doubt whether he has the strength, judgment and determination to keep us safe.”

Though Bush never invoked Obama by name in that address Thursday, the Illinois senator and a chorus of prominent Democrats took the president’s remarks as a slam against him. Even Hillary Clinton — who has criticized Obama’s diplomatic policies — called the president’s comments “offensive and outrageous.”

Obama has said that he would be willing, as president, to meet personally with Iran’s leaders and those of other regimes the United States has deemed rogue.

He stressed Friday in South Dakota that he would never enter into direct talks with terrorist groups like Hamas.

Obama also accused McCain of “hypocrisy,” after former State Department official James Rubin wrote in a Washington Post column that McCain said two years ago of Hamas: “They’re the government; sooner or later we are going to have to deal with them.”

McCain insisted Friday he would not negotiate with terrorists and defended his criticism of Obama.

“I say again, Barack Obama wants to sit down with their sponsors. If he doesn’t want to sit down with Hamas then he shouldn’t want to sit down with their sponsor,” McCain said.

McCain gave no objection to Bush’s comments Thursday and said Obama’s approach to foreign policy was fair game for questioning.

Bush said Thursday: “Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.

“We have heard this foolish delusion before. As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American senator declared: ‘Lord, if only I could have talked to Hitler, all of this might have been avoided.’

“We have an obligation to call this what it is — the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history”

Ed Gillespie, counselor to the president, said Friday the White House was taken aback by the backlash that followed Bush’s speech.

“We did not anticipate that it would be taken that way, because it’s kind of hard to take it that way if you look at the actual words of the president’s remarks, which are consistent with what he has said in the past relative to dealing with groups like Hezbollah and Hamas and Al Qaeda,” Gillespie said.

“And so there was really nothing new in the speech that anyone could point to that would indicate that.”

He said there was some anticipation that it would be seen as a slam against former President Jimmy Carter, who recently met with leaders of Hamas, but that it was not intended as a rebuke to him, either.

As i said, you do not give credibility to terrorist or people of that ilk. No American president should be seen shaking the hands of terrorist or people who allow terrorist to grow.

Fox News

ROME: Papal funerals are not supposed to be about diplomacy, but put this many world leaders in one section of St. Peter's Square and diplomacy happens.

And so the funeral of Pope John Paul II turned out to be about a president of the United States who did not shake the hands of two angry rivals, and a president of Israel who did.

George W. Bush was in rare, close proximity to Syria's president, Bashar al-Assad, and Iran's president, Mohammad Khatami. At a ceremony that had a conspicuous moment to conduct handshakes of peace, he passed up the opportunity - or the chance to talk directly with Assad, with whom his administration has been sparring over Lebanon and Iraq.

While U.S. administration officials describe Khatami as a moderate, Bush had no contact with him, either.

But Israel's president, Moshe Katsav, made the opposite choice.Assad was one row in back of him, and at one point they exchanged polite smiles. Later, they shook hands, a remarkable step for leaders of two countries that are still technically at war.

Katsav,

Today in Europe

Civil servants and teachers in France go on strikePolice arrest 10 men in three countries in Europe in terror investigation Dutch cartoonist arrested on suspicion of violating hate speech laws

who was born in Iran, also spoke to Khatami, whose nation says it wants Israel destroyed.Katsav recalled later that as he was leaving at the end of the service, "the Iranian president held his hand out to me.I shook his hand and greeted him in Farsi."

In Israel, media reports said the men conversed about Yazd, the city in central Iran where both were born.

"Maybe today will make us hope of a future of peace, not of conflict and hatred," Khatami was quoted as saying in the Italian daily Corriere della Sera.

A senior administration official, reached by telephone in Washington, said it was unclear if Bush was in close enough proximity to either the Syrian or Iranian leaders to speak with them, much less exchange handshakes.

"Even if he had been," the official said, "I don't think it would be like the president to initiate that kind of gesture. The moment would be too fraught."

Katsav's handshakes were the talk of Israel, where the pope made an unprecedented visit in 2000, before the second intifada broke out in the autumn of 2001.The pope's apology for past discrimination and violence set him apart in the minds of millions of Israelis, and the Palestinians treasured his endorsement of their right of self-determination.

So it was little surprise that the funeral was broadcast in Israel live by radio and television, meaning that the extension of a hand was widely seen.

For Bush, avoiding the headlines on Friday was part of the plan. In three previous visits to Italy, he has given speeches and embraced the prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi, whose willingness to back the invasion of Iraq was a sharp counterpoint the leaders of France and Germany. But this time, over a quiet dinner, Bush had to once again express his regrets over the accidental killing of an Italian intelligence agent in Iraq last month.

The shooting death, which occurred as the agent was taking an Italian journalist to the airport moments after she had been released by insurgents on March 4, caused a political uproar in Italy, where Berlusconi's agreement to send forces to Iraq was deeply unpopular. The prime minister has said he hopes to begin withdrawing the troops by this autumn, but left open the possibility that they will stay if needed to stabilize the country.

Bush was joined at the dinner, held in the hills above Rome, by his father and by former President Bill Clinton, both of whom flew here as part of the official delegation to the pope's funeral on Friday morning.

Briefing reporters Thursday evening, Scott McClellan, the president's press secretary, said little about the content of the dinner, other than that the killing of the agent, Nicola Calipari, was discussed along with the Middle East and the Ukraine. But the leaders made no statements, and did not even permit reporters to see them together at dinner.

McClellan suggested that Bush was highly aware that he should do nothing to overshadow the purpose of the trip.

When he did appear at an event - at a reception for American cardinals, at the dinner, and at the Vatican - Bush was always accompanied by the two former presidents. (Jimmy Carter declined to join the delegation, officials said, and Gerald Ford is too ill.)

Huckabee quips about gun aimed at Obama

47 minutes ago

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Republican Mike Huckabee responded to an offstage noise during his speech to the National Rifle Association by suggesting it was Barack Obama diving to the floor because someone had aimed a gun at him.

Hearing a loud noise and interrupting his speech, Huckabee said: "That was Barack Obama. He just tripped off a chair. He's getting ready to speak and somebody aimed a gun at him and he — he dove for the floor."

There were only a few murmurs in the crowd after the remark.

The Obama campaign had no comment.

*source*

-------------

real funny, Mike. <_<

47 minutes ago

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Republican Mike Huckabee responded to an offstage noise during his speech to the National Rifle Association by suggesting it was Barack Obama diving to the floor because someone had aimed a gun at him.

Hearing a loud noise and interrupting his speech, Huckabee said: "That was Barack Obama. He just tripped off a chair. He's getting ready to speak and somebody aimed a gun at him and he — he dove for the floor."

*source*

-------------

real funny, Mike. <_<

Nice. Yeehaw. What an idiot.

Is Huckabee from West Virginia perchance?

I haven't read this thread in a long time so if this had already been discussed, whip me...

But damn are some of those people in West Virginia screwed up! If you believe many of the interviews of the voters there the main reason Obama lost is because he's black and they really believe he's Muslim?

I'm actually glad he lost WV, and now I have a new reason to want Obama to win... to see the reaction of West Virginia voters... :shifty:

Is Huckabee from West Virginia perchance?

I haven't read this thread in a long time so if this had already been discussed, whip me...

But damn are some of those people in West Virginia screwed up! If you believe many of the interviews of the voters there the main reason Obama lost is because he's black and they really believe he's Muslim?

I'm actually glad he lost WV, and now I have a new reason to want Obama to win... to see the reaction of West Virginia voters... :shifty:

Good, if it involves banjos. Bad, if it involves firearms.

pretty awesome website I just found

http://www.270towin.com/

you can play out the election for this year in the electoral college, and review past elections... all the way back to 1789 (there was obviously voter oppression, since only 13 states voted in that election... <_< )

:lol:

my friend and I played it out today in school with Barack and John McCain, and it was a tie (269 - 269) and as a note, he had Barack losing Pennsylvania and Ohio in that scenario

I will not be surprised if 2000 happens again with the same results.

what the hanging chads....in florida? here the -us has ex presidents setting up fair democratic elections in countries around the world and that happens? yeah kinda upsetting.

what the hanging chads....in florida? here the -us has ex presidents setting up fair democratic elections in countries around the world and that happens? yeah kinda upsetting.

No,

What happen was Bush lost the Popular vote, but won on the electoral college. McCain will not win any Dem. strong holds like Ill,NY,and CA, but can win PA,FL,and OH.

No,

What happen was Bush lost the Popular vote, but won on the electoral college. McCain will not win any Dem. strong holds like Ill,NY,and CA, but can win PA,FL,and OH.

Atleast we know that ahead of time, this time.

Attention: Urgent message from the new head of the Democratic commitee on the Led Zeppelin board, yours truly. Florida and Michigan can still be seated giving Hillary the popular vote lead and the supers the moral high ground to chose her for the nom or at the very least put the pressure on the Obama camp to put her on the "Dream ticket" and ensure a victory in November. Im now fair game. Cmom, fire away ladies and gentlemen. From your new Dem leader!!!!!!!!hahahahaha

47 minutes ago

*source*

-------------

real funny, Mike. <_<

:hysterical:

... and later the sound of a baby crying was also heard, and somebody said, " That was Obama responding to G.W. Bush's speech in Israel."

SMObamaCPUSA.jpg

Attention: Urgent message from the new head of the Democratic commitee on the Led Zeppelin board, yours truly. Florida and Michigan can still be seated giving Hillary the popular vote lead and the supers the moral high ground to chose her for the nom or at the very least put the pressure on the Obama camp to put her on the "Dream ticket" and ensure a victory in November. Im now fair game. Cmom, fire away ladies and gentlemen. From your new Dem leader!!!!!!!!hahahahaha

:angry::rant::thumbdown:

Please, you are not my leader............. <_<

Archived