• John Edwards
    • Mike Huckabee
    • John McCain
    • Barack Obama
    • Ron Paul
    • Mitt Romney
    • Bill Richardson
    • Fred Thompson

The Iowa caucus is commonly recognized as the first step in the U.S. presidential nomination process for both the Democratic and the Republican Parties. It came to national attention in 1972, with a series of articles in the New York Times on how non-primary states would choose their delegates for the national conventions.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_caucus

Tonight, Mike Huckabee won the Republican Iowa caucus, and Barack Obama won the Democratic Iowa caucus. There was a heavy voter turn-out.

^^

[edited to say: thank you for altering that sig. Cheers! :beer: ]

----------------------

Iowa caucuses..

Democratic results with 100% of precincts reporting:

Obama 38%... Edwards 30%...Clinton 29%...Richardson 2%...Kucinich 0%

[Dodd and Biden drop out of race]

Republican results with 93% of precincts reporting:

Huckabee 34%..Romney 25%..McCain 13%..Thompson 13%..Paul 10%..Guiliani 3%

Huckabee's poll numbers haven't gone down the toilet yet, but I sure hope

they do. He is the scariest of all the Republican candidates in my opnion.

would you vote for Huckabee if he gets the nomination, TULedWho? :whistling:

From NYMag.com:

Bill Clinton Pulls A Karl Rove

03_billclinton_lg.jpg

Late yesterday, Bill Clinton made an interesting statement while stumping for Hillary in Iowa. He predicted Mike Huckabee (who, like Clinton, hails from Hope, Arkansas) would win the Republican caucus today and even gave him a sort of hedging endorsement. From the Sun:

"Governor Huckabee has got a little hometown pride going because it looks like the Iowa republicans are going to give him the caucus." … "He looks to me like the only one who can tell a joke. It's a pretty dark crowd." … "You know he was underestimated. He's got on well here and it doesn't surprise me."

That's weird, huh? Especially since in some polls (like one in Arkansas, for example), Huckabee is the only candidate who poses a threat to Clinton's wife, Hillary. It's odd that Bubba would add his weight to Huckabee's momentum. Except, wait a minute, isn't this familiar? Didn't Karl Rove and President Bush sort of tout Hillary herself as an inevitable Democratic choice, thus playing into her "de facto nominee" primary strategy? Rove and Bush did it because they assume Hillary's negatives will take her down in the general election, so they felt safe encouraging her. Does former president Clinton feel that Huckabee is already flawed enough that he can't win in a national election? Or does he know something we don't (other than, you know, how to run a country) that might come up later? We're not sure. All we can tell you is you're lucky we're not drinking already.

*source*

:whistling:

Bubba! :beer:

From the Sun:

"Governor Huckabee has got a little hometown pride going because it looks like the Iowa republicans are going to give him the caucus." … "He looks to me like the only one who can tell a joke. It's a pretty dark crowd." … "You know he was underestimated. He's got on well here and it doesn't surprise me."

That's weird, huh? Especially since in some polls (like one in Arkansas, for example), Huckabee is the only candidate who poses a threat to Clinton's wife, Hillary. It's odd that Bubba would add his weight to Huckabee's momentum.

I don't see that as an endorsement, or odd at all. But I suppose everything is magnified. After all, there are several cable channels and thousands of columnists hoping for anything to seem to happen so as to validate their pompous existence.

...Yay Obama!

I dont get the Hillary thing at all. Its just name recognition and a halfass attempt at a dynasty. Plus the name 'hillary' sounds prissy and patrician...and she comes off as a cold bitch. And when she fake laughs, she sounds like a cold bitch fake laughing.

I don't see that as an endorsement, or odd at all. But I suppose everything is magnified. After all, there are several cable channels and thousands of columnists hoping for anything to seem to happen so as to validate their pompous existence.

Yeah,.. you're right, it obviously wasn't an actual endorsement. The suggestion in the article was that it was a calculated, disingenuous, Rove-ian pseudo-"endorsement". You know, a 'pump up the opponent you think you have the best chance of beating' strategy.

;)

I dont get the Hillary thing at all. Its just name recognition and a halfass attempt at a dynasty. Plus the name 'hillary' sounds prissy and patrician...and she comes off as a cold bitch. And when she fake laughs, she sounds like a cold bitch fake laughing.

Ok,.. but if she should happen to get the dem nomination, would you vote her?

Ok,.. but if she should happen to get the dem nomination, would you vote her?

Not if Ron Paul miraculously got the GOP nod.

But yea I would in theory, though I sure as shit wouldn't be happy about it. I'm not voting for Rev. Huckabee or a dude named Mitt. And if The Hillary should get the nomination, my already low opinion of the anti-bold and pansyass Democrat Party would drop all the way down to China.

I would vote for Hillary if she got the nomination but I am praying we get Barack. I don't care who the Republicans put against the Democrats... they just don't have it this time around. Huckabee is a nice guy but I just don't see it, Romney seems fake, I like McCain but people want change and he's not the candidate for change, and Rudy, wow, I know he didn't do much campaigning in Iowa, but Wow... I was a little suprised at his numbers.

I'd consider voting for Hillary if they proved she was indeed some sort of rodent and could cure cancer by sarcificing herself to science.

That's a start.

Lab Rats have far too much intgrity to run for office . Running through a maze would be much to difficult a task for any of scurrilous congress members.

Lab Rats have far too much intgrity to run for office . Running through a maze would be much to difficult a task for any of scurrilous congress members.

You probably meant "integrity" and "too", didn't you? ...and apparently

using size and font tags is "much to difficult a task" for you, eh Dawgy? :P

B)

btw.. remind me again.. which repub candidate are you supporting? :whistling:

---------------

lester.jpg

:D

The Democratic party in Iowa has impressed me. It is quite a historic event when a black man wins the nomination for President of the United States in a state that is 95% white. Good stuff.

On the other hand, the Republicans proved that religious bigotry is alive and well. Huckabee pandered and preached to the evangelical base in Iowa, and they turned out in record numbers giving him the victory. The NYTimes reported that over 80% of self-described evangelical Christians voted for Huckabee. They came out in record numbers because they could not stand to see a Mormon win the nomination. Sad stuff.

If Huckabee wins the nomination and his opponent is Obama, I will be voting for Obama. I can't stand Mike Huckabee and I'm afraid that he might tear apart the Republican party.

Huckabee might be alittle bit kooky with his religious beliefs but atleast his plans for the economy and taxes make sense. Even staunch liberals like his ideas. He's just not a corporate puppet like Romney; who gets all his endorsements from big time corporations because he doesn't plan to change a damn thing with taxes.

If Huckabee wins the nomination and his opponent is Obama, I will be voting for Obama. I can't stand Mike Huckabee and I'm afraid that he might tear apart the Republican party.

I'm with you on that one. If Obama wins the democratic nomination and Ron Paul does NOT win the republican nomination, then I'm voting for Obama.

Now if neither of them win their respective nominations, then I don't know what I'm gonna do, as they're the only candidates I really like. I'll probably just waste my vote and write in Stephen Colbert, lol... :D

The Democratic party in Iowa has impressed me. It is quite a historic event when a black man wins the nomination for President of the United States in a state that is 95% white. Good stuff.

no doubt. B)

..certainly more historic than that "faith speech" Romney gave awhile back, eh? ;)

On the other hand, the Republicans proved that religious bigotry is alive and well. Huckabee pandered and preached to the evangelical base in Iowa, and they turned out in record numbers giving him the victory. The NYTimes reported that over 80% of self-described evangelical Christians voted for Huckabee. They came out in record numbers because they could not stand to see a Mormon win the nomination. Sad stuff.

Isn't it possible that Evangelical Christians turned out en masse to vote for Huckabee not

as a means of voting against a Mormon but rather because Huckabee's conservative Christian message actually resonated with them? :whistling:

Your comment smacks of sour grapes if you ask me. Face it, TUled, Romney didn't lose due to anti-Mormon bigotry, he lost because he's got absolutely no convictions whatsoever. His his positions on issues flip back and forth more than a flag in a 50 mph wind. He's a fraud and everybody but his most fanatical supporters knows it.

If Huckabee wins the nomination and his opponent is Obama, I will be voting for Obama.

I can't stand Mike Huckabee and I'm afraid that he might tear apart the Republican party.

WTF?! You'd actually vote for Obama? :blink:

Well I'll be gosh darned. This one's for you. :beer:

Although his plan involved Hillary and not Obama, maybe its repubs like you that Bill

Clinton had in mind when he "endorsed" Huckabee for the republicon nomination, eh? B)

:hippy:

Just for kicks, TULed,.. if the general election should turn

out to be Huckabee vs Clinton,.. who would you vote for?

How about Huckabee vs Edwards?

no doubt. B)

..certainly more historic than that "faith speech" Romney gave awhile back, eh? ;)

Isn't it possible that Evangelical Christians turned out en masse to vote for Huckabee not

as a means of voting against a Mormon but rather because Huckabee's conservative Christian message actually resonated with them? :whistling:

Your comment smacks of sour grapes if you ask me. Face it, TUled, Romney didn't lose due to anti-Mormon bigotry, he lost because he's got absolutely no convictions whatsoever. His his positions on issues flip back and forth more than a flag in a 50 mph wind. He's a fraud and everybody but his most fanatical supporters knows it.

WTF?! You'd actually vote for Obama? :blink:

Well I'll be gosh darned. This one's for you. :beer:

Although his plan involved Hillary and not Obama, maybe its repubs like you that Bill

Clinton had in mind when he "endorsed" Huckabee for the republicon nomination, eh? B)

:hippy:

Just for kicks, TULed,.. if the general election should turn

out to be Huckabee vs Clinton,.. who would you vote for?

How about Huckabee vs Edwards?

If Huckabee wins the GOP nomination, I'll either not vote or vote for the opposition. However, I wouldn't vote for Hillary or Edwards. Edwards is worse than Huckabee with his populist rhetoric.

Archived