• Mike Huckabee
    • John McCain
    • Barack Obama
    • Ron Paul
    • Mitt Romney
    • Bill Richardson
    • Fred Thompson

When and where did I say that, Nancy?

Well, Judy, from where I was standing the whole point of your post was giving credit for the prosperous economy of the 90's to the dot com revolution and not the Clinton Admin, which is why the punchline of your Gore internet joke is "maybe we can after all".

Just saying that when you give credit to Clinton for the "booming economy" of the 90's then you had better give him credit for the downfall as well because the boom was over and crashing the last couple years of his administration.

That's a fact....I remember it well.....as does my wallet.

There was a dip, yes. There's nowhere to go from up but down. But the economy was far stronger than it became, W still inherited the biggest surplus in the history of this country and turned it into the biggest deficit in the history of this country. Why is it that we elect businessmen to run this country and they promptly run it into the red? Of course there was a lovely Golden Parachute style tax cut for the upper class.

:rolleyes:

Obama is actually correct. This country is looking for a leader. Not just a President, but a person who will bring leadership and inspiration.

Barrack Obama may not have many of the same political ideas as Ronald Reagan, but what he does share with people like Reagan, JFK and FDR is the ability to communicate optimism... something that we have not seen for a long time.

You can't say that Hillary makes you feel that way.

I'm not sure that I've ever agreed 100% with a political post of yours, but this one comes damn close.

Everything but putting Reagan in a group with JFK and FDR. LOL, maybe as a flunky. :P

Maybe I should have clarified my post. I meant that Obama was crazy for comparing himself to Reagan while he was running for the Democratic Party nomination. ;)

I don't think it is crazy at all. Obama was recognizing that Ronald Reagan was an inspiring leader for many Americans. Reagan won over many Democrats to his side when he ran for office, His election was basically a landslide. But more importantly there is nothing wrong with recognizing inspiring leaders who are from other parties. How many times do we hear Republicans paying homage to JFK and FDR for being inspiring leaders?

If your complaint is that Obama was not sounding partisanship enough in his speaches, then I believe you are being short sighted in my opinion. The very best Presidents we have ever had were the ones who reached out to all Americans.

Can anyone explain to me in 50 words or less why I as an American should give a flying f*ck if Michael Bloomberg decides to run for President of the United States or not ? I mean does he gain the upper hand against Hillary and Rudy by cornering the New York Jewish vote ? Am I missing some angle to this supposed drama ? :huh:

Been a while..sorry but I'm back

We need trade policies that would reduce the disparity between the cost of manufacturing at home or overseas. If we made it illegal to.. [scratch that, start over].. if it was requirement that any goods manufactured overseas had to be made in factories that abide by the same human rights, fair labor, and product safety standards that are required in America, it would no longer benefit companies as much to have their goods manufactured overseas; the cost of manufacturing would have more parity. We also need to close the tax loopholes that multinational corporations are exploiting at the expense of the American economy.

That we turn a blind eye to goods being manufactured overseas by foreign laborers in

sweatshop-like conditions for ridiculously low wages is an absolute shame on America.

The laws in place right now aren't stopping them. The government would have to pay even more for inspectors to go around the world to make sure factories are in check. I'd like your plan to happen, but I don't think it'll happen any time soon

We need new trade policies that are more fair to the American economy and

to the America work force and that reflect the value we place on human rights.

Is that asking too much? :rolleyes:

"We Americans" do still place a high value on human rights,.. don't we? :unsure:

Democrats do. What 'bout you and your fellow republicans, wanna be? :whistling:

Yeah, human rights for anyone who's not white, male, or Christian :rolleyes:

As I said before, we need new trade policies so it'll no longer be

1000% cheaper for companies to manufacture goods overseas.

How on earth [pun intended] can you split from the republicans on an issue as important as the environment and yet still look to put a republican in the WH? Republicans are the big oil/big energy party and have been the "climate crisis is a hoax" and "God created the earth for mankind to exploit" party. You think the repubs are suddenly gonna backs on big oil, big coal, and nuclear power? Aint gonna happen bro.

I don't put enviornmental issues as high as others Hermit. Besides, I don't think Democrats would help much anyways. They'd force companies to go green and they'd do it for the sole purpose of appeasing the government rather than doing it for the financial profitability. Rules need to be put in place, but I think the Democrats are asking a little too much. The private sector needs to make rules for itself to meet the "green" demand, rather than the government.

Having said that,.. Arnold The Governator and John McCain do seem to be two exceptions to the rule. They both have taken.. and have been taking for some time now.. very earth friendly, conscientious positions on climate change and other environmental issues. I give them both due credit for that.

Huzzah B)

I think he's more moderate than anything, which I prefer

I think there is a significant difference between the two parties. Not with so much

regard to "nobility" or "honesty" per se, but with regard to values and priorities.

You'd agree with that, wouldnt you?

It aint over til its over bud... and its a ways yet from being over.

We'll know more after Feburay 6th.. tsunami Tuesday. ;)

Don't count John Edwards out just yet. I haven't; my bubble is still intact.

cheers, bud. :beer:

I'm wondering, wanna be, would you still support John McCain..

..if he was to choose DINO Joe Lieberman as his running mate? :whistling:

Actually, I'm not sure how I'd vote then. I'd be torn between my belief that Lieberman would ahve little to no real power and he was there to win some leftist votes, and my belief that McCain lost his gall

Libertarian Party anyone? B)

kneel.jpg

caption: "Swear eternal allegiance. You cannot bargain at the ballot box."

uuuhhhh....ummm.... :huh::unsure::blink:

I'd vote for Bush before I voted for this one. Anyone ever hear of Charlie Manson? The Branch Davidians? :backs out of Zod's website slowly... :

Goes to show the priorities and the 'brainwashing' skills these Republican nominees have for the Iraq War. Aside from Ron Paul, who kept his answer short and sweet, everyone else consented we should have invaded, we will be successful and the "Democrats" voted for it too, particularly Hillary Clinton.

It took Mr. Paul 10 seconds to give the best answer while the rest tried to cram within 30 seconds every reason why Iraq is a justifiable war.

Ha! Giuliani is fucked!

Today's South Carolina primary:

Barack Obama is the projected winner in South Carolina;

Clinton is currently running second, and Edwards third.

SC primary results with 17% of precincts having reported:

[45 delegates at stake]

Obama....53%...[38 delegates*]

Clinton....27%...[36 delegates*]

Edwards..20%...[18 delegates*]

*prior to S. Carolina

As the results have been coming in over the past hour, I've noticed Clinton's percentage trending downward and Edwards' on the rise. I look for Edwards to finish close behind Clinton,.. if not actually edging her out for a second place finish. ..maybe? :whistling:

Repubs:

Romney.....59 delegates

Huckabee...40 delegates

McCain.......36 delegates

kneel.jpg

caption: "Swear eternal allegiance. You cannot bargain at the ballot box."

uuuhhhh....ummm.... :huh::unsure::blink:

I'd vote for Bush before I voted for this one. Anyone ever hear of Charlie Manson? The Branch Davidians? :backs out of Zod's website slowly... :

Believe it or not, there are people out there that revere Charles Manson because of his lyrics. Right RockinInTheFreeWorld? :rolleyes:

The news said Obama won South Carolina by a landslide.

I wonder how cranky Billary Clinton will be after this one? :D

Yup, Obama won in a landslide; he got twice as many votes as Clinton.

Team Billary aint happy about it at all; you can be sure of that. ^_^

Today's South Carolina primary:

Barack Obama is the projected winner in South Carolina;

Clinton is currently running second, and Edwards third.

SC primary results with 17% of precincts having reported:

[45 delegates at stake]

Obama....53%...[38 delegates*]

Clinton....27%...[36 delegates*]

Edwards..20%...[18 delegates*]

*prior to S. Carolina

updated results:

Obama....55%...[63 delegates]

Clinton....27%...[48 delegates]

Edwards..18%...[26 delegates]

Bring on Tsunami Tuesday! :cheer:

Yup, Obama won in a landslide; he got twice as many votes as Clinton.

Team Billary aint happy about it at all; you can be sure of that. ^_^

updated results:

Obama....55%...[63 delegates]

Clinton....27%...[48 delegates]

Edwards..18%...[26 delegates]

Bring on Tsunami Tuesday! :cheer:

Yep, could be that Obama becomes the 2nd Black President of the United States.

clinton.jpg

One of the most inspiring, beautiful and moving essays I've read in a long time. My only memories of the JFK presidency are vague: the Life magazine photos of "Camelot" and, of course, the tragic assassination. I have friends and colleagues who were in jr/sr high school back then and they remember that era quite well; they still cite JFK as inspiring them to take the the roads they've chosen in this life.

January 27, 2008

Op-Ed Contributor

A President Like My Father

By CAROLINE KENNEDY

OVER the years, I’ve been deeply moved by the people who’ve told me they wished they could feel inspired and hopeful about America the way people did when my father was president. This sense is even more profound today. That is why I am supporting a presidential candidate in the Democratic primaries, Barack Obama.

My reasons are patriotic, political and personal, and the three are intertwined. All my life, people have told me that my father changed their lives, that they got involved in public service or politics because he asked them to. And the generation he inspired has passed that spirit on to its children. I meet young people who were born long after John F. Kennedy was president, yet who ask me how to live out his ideals.

Sometimes it takes a while to recognize that someone has a special ability to get us to believe in ourselves, to tie that belief to our highest ideals and imagine that together we can do great things. In those rare moments, when such a person comes along, we need to put aside our plans and reach for what we know is possible.

We have that kind of opportunity with Senator Obama. It isn’t that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960.

Most of us would prefer to base our voting decision on policy differences. However, the candidates’ goals are similar. They have all laid out detailed plans on everything from strengthening our middle class to investing in early childhood education. So qualities of leadership, character and judgment play a larger role than usual.

Senator Obama has demonstrated these qualities throughout his more than two decades of public service, not just in the United States Senate but in Illinois, where he helped turn around struggling communities, taught constitutional law and was an elected state official for eight years. And Senator Obama is showing the same qualities today. He has built a movement that is changing the face of politics in this country, and he has demonstrated a special gift for inspiring young people — known for a willingness to volunteer, but an aversion to politics — to become engaged in the political process.

I have spent the past five years working in the New York City public schools and have three teenage children of my own. There is a generation coming of age that is hopeful, hard-working, innovative and imaginative. But too many of them are also hopeless, defeated and disengaged. As parents, we have a responsibility to help our children to believe in themselves and in their power to shape their future. Senator Obama is inspiring my children, my parents’ grandchildren, with that sense of possibility.

Senator Obama is running a dignified and honest campaign. He has spoken eloquently about the role of faith in his life, and opened a window into his character in two compelling books. And when it comes to judgment, Barack Obama made the right call on the most important issue of our time by opposing the war in Iraq from the beginning.

I want a president who understands that his responsibility is to articulate a vision and encourage others to achieve it; who holds himself, and those around him, to the highest ethical standards; who appeals to the hopes of those who still believe in the American Dream, and those around the world who still believe in the American ideal; and who can lift our spirits, and make us believe again that our country needs every one of us to get involved.

I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans.

Caroline Kennedy is the author of “A Patriot’s Handbook: Songs, Poems, Stories and Speeches Celebrating the Land We Love.”

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

A cannibal was walking through the jungle and came upon a restaurant operated by a fellow cannibal.

Feeling somewhat hungry, he sat down and looked over the menu.

+ Tourist: $5.00

+ Broiled Missionary: $10.00

+ Fried Explorer: $15.00

+ Baked Democrat or Grilled Republican: $100.00

The cannibal asked the waiter, "Why such a price difference for the Politician?"

The waiter replied, "Have you ever tried to clean one? They are so full of shit, it takes all morning!" :D

Archived