BACK DOOR SLAM: Outstanding Young British Blues-Rockers

Fortuenti

I was recently introduced to this up-and-coming trio via a mainstream news report online. I'm not certain how they came up with their name but the phrase ``I open my front door (and) hear my back door slam" can be heard around 5:45 on the bluesy Since I've Been Loving You off of L.Z. III. The "back door man" is a familiar character in many a blues song. I have little doubt Jimmy, Robert, and John know and dig these guys (they're most likely personally acquainted). Now you can too. I think they're going to get a lot bigger fan-base in no time. If any of you have seen them live, I'd love to hear what you think.

http://backdoorslam.com/

On You-Tube

• 1 month later...

I just got their album and want to heap accolades upon it and move this thread up front so any of y'all who've not yet heard these guys might give them a listen. IMHO, they are the best thing to come out of Britain in 40 years -- as far as blues-rock is concerned, that is.

51QOCrhvtpL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The 5-star rating @amazon.com is well-deserved: ROLL AWAY - Back Door Slam

Wow...that kid on guitar can not only play effortlessly, he has a good warm voice as well.

I'm sold and will have that record by this weekend.

Thanks.

Now THIS is what makes my day--sharing the love of music and having others take it in. You are most welcome!

Better see these guys now while they are still playing clubs and similar intimate venues because it may not be long before they graduate to the arenas and amphitheaters of the circuit.

Awesome players, but how bout at least a bit of originality? I don't get the excitement for these guys at all.

Maybe you will. They've just started.

I don't get the excitement for Jimmy Page's work with Yardbirds either, but with Zeppelin the story changes completely. I mean, I love all of his work, but the Zeppelin era is beyond greatness.

Awesome players, but how bout at least a bit of originality? I don't get the excitement for these guys at all.

Originality? In the Rock 'n Blues genre, EVERYTHING is borrowed from the past. Let's not kid ourseves here.

The excitement for me is their youth and passion for that genre, which is original in and of itself these day's.

I took a listen to all the samples at amazon and I have to say I could care less for the lack of originality, but what struck me was that the edge was totally missing. The only track that had an ounce of edge was Outside Woman Blues. These guys sound like old farts trying to rock, something we call "gubbrock" in Sweden. Dull.

IMHO, this is a tough genre and it's easy to loose the edge and become just another boogie woogie band.. I'll give 'em cred for tryin.

Originality? In the Rock 'n Blues genre, EVERYTHING is borrowed from the past. Let's not kid ourseves here.

The excitement for me is their youth and passion for that genre, which is original in and of itself these day's.

That's not a very good excuse. Hasn't stop .........

Black Crowes

White Stripes

Gov't Mule

There are also several band that have songs in that genre, it's just not their overall style.

That's not a very good excuse. Hasn't stop .........

Black Crowes

White Stripes

Gov't Mule

There are also several band that have songs in that genre, it's just not their overall style.

Good point..

• 1 month later...

I began this thread 3+ months ago after hearing mere recordings of these guys. This past Monday night, I saw them LIVE in Washington DC at a TINY venue with probably less than 10 dozen people in attedance--if that. They are GREAT! To see such awesome talent in such a tiny venue was a rare treat indeed.

I am pleased that some have been inspired to add B.D.S. to their music collection but for those who doubt that these guys can ROCK THE HOUSE, all I can say is GO SEE THEM LIVE and you will be moved.

I took my 14 year old daughter and it was our very first time out to see live music together. She loves them as much as I! When I was 14 I was into LZ, Clapton, Johnny Winter, Allman Bros, Hendrix, etc. (when they were all under 30), and it's great that the next gen can carry the torch and appreciate those who do.

p.s. Guitarist Danny Knowles was wearing a Led Zeppelin T-shirt (with design I've never seen before--and I thought I've seen them all) which reaffirms where his sentments lay.

I heard a song the other day that sounded something like Stevie Ray Vaughn - not quite his voice, but as good as his guitar work. Not necessarily original, but what's left to create that still grooves? Anyway, it may have been these guys? If so, I'd say that they are excellent at what they do!

Wow, they're pretty fucking great! I really like that guy's guitar playing. And since they're so good, I'm inclined to be picky. I don't expect them to have a revolutionary, radically different new sound, but I feel like I could just as easily put in an SRV album and get the same effect. Let's look at the Black Keys, for example. They're certainly not what you'd call an innovative band, but they're just unique enough that they have their own sound, and you wouldn't mistake them for anyone else. These guys need to find that one little thing that sets them apart, and there'll be no stopping them. I totally want this album.

Makes me cry tears of joy to see new bands making great music.

And it brings smile to my face when I turn other fellow music-lovers to great bands I find out about (and vice-versa).

Anyway, looking back through old e-mail I'm amazed I found the link (with video) since it was stacked in the lengthy news summary and could have very, VERY easily have been missed.

CLICK HERE

BTW, Led-Head, is that "

(links to video) that Roger is taking on with the Wii in the pic in your signature?

• 11 months later...

I just discovered of this band before going to the Rothbury music festival and they were the first act I saw there. Davy Knowles blew my mind. I kept thinking he was the best Ive ever seen. (Probably was until i saw Warren in Gov't Mule on Sunday. )Sounds very much like SRV to me.

Now they are opening for Chickenfoot I cant wait to see them again.

But seriously check these guys out, the music might not be progressive but you just cant ignore how good Davy Knowles is, especially for how young he is.

Archived