best Kashmir

badgeholder

Apologies if this has been covered. I'm looking to find the mightiest-ever version of Kashmir. What are your favorites? What started this is I got the "film noir part two" dvd where they synch up home movies, and there is a tremendous Kashmir near the end of part one. I think it's from Alabama '77, but it might be NY.

Kashmir 10/12/07

when i watch Kashmir from the 02 arena,which i recorded on the night
(i know! naughty me!)

it still gives me goosebumps as i listen to it !!

Like everyone else I`m wishing for another chance to see led zeppelin live...cause for most of the reunion gig i was in awe!
:blink:

That song never sounded "bigger" than the Knebworth version on the Live DVD. Bonzo could bring down mountains the way he hit 'em that night.... Many great versions I'm sure, but that one is right up there.... I'm also partial to the first of four Chicago shows in '77. It was an absolutely crushing wall of hypnotic and numbing sound, I think I'm still a little boggled! :blink:

Probably Knebworth from the Led Zeppelin Live DVD or the O2 reunion.

Scratch that, the Page and Plant performance from the Unplugged concert is the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79alLViD4GY

It stays true the original but changes so much. It never gets repetitive unlike the studio recording and almost every other Kashmir performance before.

God, Michael Lee is so good!

• 1 month later...
Scratch that, the Page and Plant performance from the Unplugged concert is the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79alLViD4GY

It stays true the original but changes so much. It never gets repetitive unlike the studio recording and almost every other Kashmir performance before.

God, Michael Lee is so good!

i like the egyptian ensemble on that! good call...

Probably the O2 Arena performance, although I also think the Knebworth 8/4/79 and L.A. version of 6/21/77 are also quite respectable. I always loved the White Summer/Black Mountain Side segue into the song from 1977 to 1980. It really hits you! Pure power!

I really like just about any version where the band doesn't get lost. My least favorite in general are the post 1977 versions, the synth sounds cheesy imo. They played the tune great at Knebworth though, but in general, I prefer the 1975 versions. To my ears, the sound is just heavier, the mellatron is better suited for the synth (albeit out of tune at times), and the guitar is generally pretty high in the mix, and the les paul just had a bigger sound than the dano. The only problem was Robert Plants voice rarely did the song justice that tour.

I have to agree that the 80's synth sounds pretty cheesy on this song; the Rain Song as well unfortunately-actually I didn't like JPJ's new sounds on any of the songs except for the new songs that were written with them on In Through the Out Door.....

Archived