Would you all like to be my guinea pigs?

BonzoEqualsGoodStuff

So for my senior communication seminar class I'm writing a paper on online communities and how the relationships formed there mirror how we form relationships in real life. I decided to use this board as a case study because I'm lazy and already post here! What? I have senioritis. I don't care. Anyway, if you guys could take the time to fill this out, I would love you very much! If not, I don't really hate you. I have a severe lack of motivation myself and can relate to your apathy. :P

1. What are the typical reasons you gravitate towards the friends you've made on message boards? (ie, personality, same age, similar interests)

2. What are the typical reasons that result in you disliking a particular member?

3. Do you find it's easier or harder to relate to people online as opposed to real life?

4. Do you find it's easier or harder to self-disclose to people online as opposed to real life?

5. How different do you feel you are online? Do you at all? What are the reasons you act differently if you said yes to the first question?

6. How much time do you spend on this website? How much time do you spend with your friends in real life?

7. Have you ever met anyone from this board in real life? If yes, how did that go?

8. Have you dated anyone on this board in real life? If yes, how was the transition from knowing them online to getting to know them in real life?

9. How would you say your online relationships differ from those in your real life?

I might as well be constructive while I'm here.

1. What are the typical reasons you gravitate towards the friends you've made on message boards? (ie, personality, same age, similar interests)

We have the same interests.

2. What are the typical reasons that result in you disliking a particular member?

They think they know wverything or make posts without knowing people, or the people who are just hateful.

3. Do you find it's easier or harder to relate to people online as opposed to real life?

Just depends.

4. Do you find it's easier or harder to self-disclose to people online as opposed to real life?

It again just depends on how the person seems.

5. How different do you feel you are online? Do you at all? What are the reasons you act differently if you said yes to the first question?

No, I'm the same all the time. I try to make sure that I'm pretty polite, which I may not do offline. I'm usually out spoken and open about things though.

6. How much time do you spend on this website? How much time do you spend with your friends in real life?

I don't keep count, but it's about the same.

7. Have you ever met anyone from this board in real life? If yes, how did that go?

No, I haven't. I wanted to but it turned out they didn't get tickets for the same night as the RP concert as I did.

8. Have you dated anyone on this board in real life? If yes, how was the transition from knowing them online to getting to know them in real life?

No I haven't.

9. How would you say your online relationships differ from those in your real life?

Online, the people have the the same musicial interests as me, which is different from most people in my life. We can talk about relating to the music which I can't do in real life.

Hope I helped.

1) similar opinions, likes and dislikes.

2) I have not so far taken a dislike to anyone - if I did, it would probably because someone jumped to a judgemental conclusion, without asking exactly what was meant. I like to think I could relate to most people, even if our opinions differered.

3) More or less the same.

4) It mostly depends on how long you've known that person.

5) I try to treat all aspects of life by being the real me, and therefore avoid putting on an act.

6) at a guestimate, about 15% online, and 85% in real life.

7) Yes - some member did me a big favour and got me a ticket for The Honeydrippers when I screwed up (again !!). Friend for life after that.

8) No.

9) You are very limited with online relationships ... (no matter how big your imagination is !)

1. I have made no friends on this board and hopefully, no enemies

2. Their ego and that some people who use name calling to discredit the other person, instead of having a real debate

3. I find it easier to relate to real people, because their real people, and not just an avatar and user name

4. Ill tell anybody in real life anything about myself, but when its gets read on-line, some people take other people thoughts the wrong way.

5. I'm not here to meet girls or make long lasting friends, I'm here to discuss things with people that have a mutual affection for Zep. I started just to discuss zep and music only, but eventually wandered in to the ramble on forum. Once the TV shows come back on, ill probably be gone.

6. I have it always on when I'm at home and most of the time when I'm at work. Ill browse through it every once in awhile. I don't like discussing things to fellow coworkers, because if you say the wrong thing, you get a bad rep.

7. No.

8. No, but have met girls on-line. They are usually who they seem to be, but they always think I'm somebody different. I'm not as outgoing as most people and girls seem to think every guy is like that

9. I ask more questions in real life, on-line, i give my opinions more. As i stated, i hate to say the wrong things and get a bad rep in life, but my close friends Know me, so any thing goes. I don't worry about saying the wrong thing on-line, but i wont also say something that would cause a big uproar.

Their willingness to engage in debate or entertaining banter... depending on my mood.

Their unwillingess to take responsibility for their own comments/opinions and for being hyper-sensitive. It's just a rock & roll thread.

It's a mixed bag. First of all you never know you are talking to online so it could all be bullshit. Sort of the same way people act in bars... you know, not being themselves. However, over time you can begin to get a sense of what a person is like and begin to appreciate them. But I keep in mind that it is not the same as live interaction.

No. It works pretty much the same. However, I personally don't get very close to people online because like I said, I really don't know them in a real sense. Plus I have a personal policy of not giving out much of any personal information (real name, address, place of employment, photos of family). I believe that is far too risky online in a general sense. Not that I would not share more with someone I might meet... but of course not in an open forum.

I am pretty much myself, however, I do act out a "certain role" many times. But not more than I might do in other real life situations. It's just that I can't really be "DEL" as much when I am at work. But I'm sure anyone who really knows me would also have me pegged if they read much of what I have written online.

I work a lot of hours and also into the late evening. So time spent with friends and family is very limited. But then again, I probably would limit much of the time spent with friends and family despite this online thing, because that is just the way I am. Call me a bit of lone wolf.

Yes, but they did not know it. Guy I work with had logged onto this thread and mentioned this guy named "Del" who I would probably get a kick out of if I read some of his stuff. I immeadiatley tried to move onto another subject. I would not enjoy this place as much if I could not also be annonymous.

No

One is based in reality and the other in a much more psudo-reality. I have however come to acknowlege that there are 'real people' here from all walks of life. That who despite coming here for some entertainment, have real life issues and things that I can learn from. The worst thing that happens around here is when someone is banned or leaves and other members never hear from them again. And not that I need to know everyone's personal life... or that I want to. But it is still a great place to interact with fellow Led Zeppelin fans and have some witty conversations, tell some jokes or funny stories, or debate real life issues. And the debating part here is more fun for me, mostly because my political/religous views are much more in the minority, and I like that challenge.

So for my senior communication seminar class I'm writing a paper on online communities and how the relationships formed there mirror how we form relationships in real life. I decided to use this board as a case study because I'm lazy and already post here! What? I have senioritis. I don't care. Anyway, if you guys could take the time to fill this out, I would love you very much! If not, I don't really hate you. I have a severe lack of motivation myself and can relate to your apathy. :P

Humor - seems as though i like to interact with those who make me laugh the most. Also, geographic location...there seems to be an automatic bond when you find out your from the same place.

2. What are the typical reasons that result in you disliking a particular member.

Some people's arrogance annoys me, but for the most part I really wouldn't say I dislike anyone. I don't have that mindset at all when I check out the board. I'm just interested in what people have to say, whether I agree with it or not. There was a time when someone took a shot at me, and I fired back. But I still wouldn't say I dislike them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, the trick is not to get hung up on it when that opinion does not match yours.

I think its harder online as you are missing some really important aspects of communicating that helps you better understand a person....body language, facial expression, tone of voice.

I think its hard to self-disclose to many people all at once, like in a forum. I am much more comfortable being candid in a one on one situtation...whether thats on line or in person.

I am still me when I'm in the forum, no changes to my personality.

I spend probably 8-10 hours a month on this website since joining in December. I spend a ton more time with friends.

No.

No.

Well, I would say that new real life friendships just take off faster for me. There is just more interaction, theres more realness about seing a person, getting a sense of who they are by their mannerisms, seeing their facial expressions, reading their body language...thats all missing on line. I think its hard for me to commuicate who I really am in just a few lines in a post. People are more complicated than that. No one is seeing the whole picture on line. Its all just a snapshot. This is my experience thus far. Perhaps if I am still posting 3 years from now, I wil have formed stronger bonds with people. I would like to think that's possible.

I hope my input helps. Good luck!!

1. I usually get gravitated by personality

2. The reasons I'll dislike a member is if they have rude posts and speak in such a way through the means of typing

3. It's harder to relate to people online because I can't really see them so it can be anybody.

4. It's definitely easier to self-disclose because of the anonymity factor

5. I behave different online because I appear to be more outgoing online

6. I don't spend so much time on this website, but I don't spend so much time with my friend. I wish I spent more time with my friends, but I can't because I live under my parent's restrictions

7. I never met any online member in real life. I would take that slowly and carefully though

8. I never dated anybody from online and I never wish to

9. I would say the relationships only differ because I am more flamboyant online, but I am still outgoing in real life as well

I hope I helped

1. Same interests. Usually musical.

2. Well, if they take the piss out of a certain favourite rocker of mine, they won't be very favourable :P

3. It's... easier to relate to the people I have met onlnie, because I have more in common with the ones I have met, opposed to those I know in real life.

4. It's easier.

5. I feel more myself, cuz I can talk about whatever I want, as there are more people who share common interests.

6. On this website? Not much. I spend most my time on the Megadeth forums. In real life... well, I go to school with my 'friends' everyday, apart from weekends. But seeing, as I don't like them at all, I choose not to spend time with them in my spare time.

7. No.

8. No.

9. Well, I like the people better than a lot of people I know in real life.

Its been basically similar interests and personality, plus the fact that your actually conversing with someone...returned messages and communication.

I dont think its actual dislike, because its a board and its not like anything other than words and opinions and you realize that over and over again in different threads. I think thats a very healthy thing actually, the more open communication the better, even with all the dfferences of opinion.

I find it the same really, its just that with an online situation its all about communication and often there are alot more opportunities to simply communicate.

I've met people from online and they've said that i am the same person, with what i say/type online as in person.

No not really. Because the people in your normal social life really know you well, but if you make a comment about a particular song or thing online, then your relatiing in a particular way. It all depends on how communication either opens up, or doesnt open up i guess. And, i guess with the online thing such as this, there is alot of observing with not much communication as well.

I dont feel different online, its typing and communication, expression.

At this point, its more time online than friends in real life, but i'm 39, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Yes, it went well, a simple nice conversation and hanging out.

No

Well, my family and friends dont want to talk about led zeppelin anymore, for years now actually. :lol: I do have a close friend who is more of a music freak than me probably. I just always knew that making tapes and cds of music for people was a good way to bring people together. Boards like this are a nice gathering place where music can bring people together.

1. similar interests...i'm not picky about age...i have a friend who's a good 40 years older than me...

2.i don't really dislike any memeber...

3.i think it's easier because people online congregate in similar interest groups and all

4.it's harder because you never quite know someone

6.a little when i'm just surfing the web...i spend loads of time with my friends, cause we all need each other in some demented way i think

7. i don't think so

8.again, i really don't think so

9. online relationships are simple. respond to a message, yada yada...real life relationships are more complex

i don't mind being your guinea pig :)

Archived