A question for those who are married

DoubleNecker

I have a question for you. A while ago, a friend of mine told me about a friend of hers and she told me she was gonna like put make up on her like a goth, and I said "what's she look like now?" and she showed me and I said "huh...she's pretty cute, I'd go out with her" and she told her what I said and then a couple minutes later, she told me that she wasn't digging me. And I asked why and she said "she doesn't like your taste in music" and I was like =/.

What I'm asking is do some of you who are married or are in a relationship, does the other have completely different tastes in music from you but did you ever have odd conflicts about that? Because I thinks it's rather stupid that someone doesn't like me because of what I listen to.

Ricky, my boyfriend HATES real music. LOL

Hates Zep, hates The Beatles, hates rock and roll in general--unless it is the 80s rock and roll.

Sometimes I wish I had a man who was totally into my type of music, but I'm sure if I had that, there would be something else we wouldn't agree upon.

It really sucks that Dave doesn't like my music because I never have anyone to go to concerts with.

That and he gets all pissy when I try to play one of my CDs during dinner time.

He likes new age and techno and 80's pop shit.

Uggh. :wacko:

But, like I said, we get along well enough--we have been together for 7 years and haven't fought over anything that's been too devistating.

Yup. I don't have a definite date to the Krauss/Plant show still. I bought the tickets in Feb. He's like, "Have fun."

I'd rather go with someone who wants to see them than waste a ticket on someone who will be miserable if he goes though, LOL.

It really sucks that Dave doesn't like my music because I never have anyone to go to concerts with.

That and he gets all pissy when I try to play one of my CDs during dinner time.

He likes new age and techno and 80's pop shit.

Uggh. :wacko:

But, like I said, we get along well enough--we have been together for 7 years and haven't fought over anything that's been too devistating.

In your first post you say you're going out with Ricky, in your second it's Dave. I suspect that could be a bigger problem than musical taste.

My wife does not share the same taste in music as I do. We each tolerate each other's music for a while; but eventually one or both of us will end up with our headphones on.

Rarely, have we fought about it.

Necker - it seems a bit immature of her to dismiss you based on your musical tastes.

There's no need to have the same taste in music but, it is nice to have some common ground. For the most part, my wife is not a hard rock fan but she does understand my love of Zeppelin. She has been to all the Robert Plant solo show's and to Page and Plant. She loves them live but probably wouldn't play one of the bands albums. One thing I've learned though is not to let her drink wine and play DJ at the same time because.....the girl just can't sing :D

I have a question for you. A while ago, a friend of mine told me about a friend of hers and she told me she was gonna like put make up on her like a goth, and I said "what's she look like now?" and she showed me and I said "huh...she's pretty cute, I'd go out with her" and she told her what I said and then a couple minutes later, she told me that she wasn't digging me. And I asked why and she said "she doesn't like your taste in music" and I was like =/.

What I'm asking is do some of you who are married or are in a relationship, does the other have completely different tastes in music from you but did you ever have odd conflicts about that? Because I thinks it's rather stupid that someone doesn't like me because of what I listen to.

Sounds like a "nice way" to tell you that she's not interested in you without hurting your feelings too much. Certainly a shared taste in music isn't a requirement for a good relationship - a shared sense of humour and some common basic values/the same basic attitude to life are much more important.

My bf and me have some common ground when it comes to music but we've both attended gigs with mates instead of with each other - and headphones can be a blessing....As long as people ain't messianic or intolerant about their tastes in music I don't see a problem. :)

There's no need to have the same taste in music but, it is nice to have some common ground. For the most part, my wife is not a hard rock fan but she does understand my love of Zeppelin. She has been to all the Robert Plant solo show's and to Page and Plant. She loves them live but probably wouldn't play one of the bands albums. One thing I've learned though is not to let her drink wine and play DJ at the same time because.....the girl just can't sing :D

Hey Ally. Make sure she never reads this post! I always seem to wind up with country fans. I basically cant stand most of it. There are a few songs I like, like the Gambler, Rhinestone Cowboy, Foslom prison blues and some of the classics. But I hate Garth Brooks who my wife likes. Hate him. she does like some of mine. She likes some of Zeppelin, and loves Eagles and and Journey. But even though Zeppelin is my favorite of all time followed by the Stones, Who, Floyd, Eagles and Beatles, I do like other things. Like Frank Sinatra. I mean, who doesnt like "old blue eyes"?

You might think it is stupid but apparently she does not. Some people are open minded and are willing to branch out and some are more conservative and prefer to stick to what they know. At least she was decisive enough to let you know pretty quickly rather than play games with you. She did not waste your time and now you can keep looking for someone who either already likes your tastes or is willing to try what you like.

I had had a preference toward classic rock and my wife had a preference toward jazz but rock from the eighties and nineties was our common ground.

Zeppelin still is not her first choice but she likes to listen with me and takes an interest by reading books or magazine articles about them or other bands I like. In turn I have enjoyed getting into be-bop, stride, blues and jazz piano music.

Hey Ally. Make sure she never reads this post! I always seem to wind up with country fans. I basically cant stand most of it. There are a few songs I like, like the Gambler, Rhinestone Cowboy, Foslom prison blues and some of the classics. But I hate Garth Brooks who my wife likes. Hate him. she does like some of mine. She likes some of Zeppelin, and loves Eagles and and Journey. But even though Zeppelin is my favorite of all time followed by the Stones, Who, Floyd, Eagles and Beatles, I do like other things. Like Frank Sinatra. I mean, who doesnt like "old blue eyes"?

Old Blue Eyes and Neil Diamond. She loves Neil Diamond. The guy is one hell of a song writer and I gotta admit that I like him too. Camping with friends and singing ND around the fire...some good times

Archived