Touring Washington D.C.

Bong-Man

I'm planning on taking a trip to Washington DC/Baltimore area in mid-May before the yardaches get out of school. I've been there several times, so I don't need any advice on what to see. I'm taking someone who has never been there before. My question is simple....The last time I stayed overnight was in Georgetown. I had a great time, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, except for one little problem.....Rooms are going for $300 - $500 a night at most hotels. That's outta my range. So....

If I can't find a reasonable hotel, I'm thinking of staying away from D.C. and take the Metro system in. Somewhere in Maryland....maybe by Annapolis, looks like the best bet to try this. Does anyone have any insight on doing this ? Is this a good idea ?

As far as Baltimore.....We're going to see the aquarium. What else is there besides the Waterfront area that I shouldn't miss ? Is the Poe thing worth it ? Stay by Camden Yards ?.....any insight would be helpful and appreciated. Also stopping at Gettysburg on the way home. Thanks.

I live in Gaithersburg, MD. It's a 50 minute drive to Baltimore. A 30+- minute METRO ride from the Shady Grove metro stop to DC. There are several places to stay near the Rio Shopping center on Rt 270. Not sure about pricing.

Check out The Brickskeller in DC for beer.

http://www.lovethebeer.com/brickskeller.html

Check out the concert lineup at the 9:30 club in DC.

http://www.930.com/fs.php?x=1024&ba=IE...=6.0&bp=Win

I've been to Gettysburg and was bored to tears. I would avoid it unless you are a Civil War nut. Better yet, drive to Virginia and walk the grounds of George Washington's Estate and Garden...at Mount Vernon

http://www.mountvernon.org/

I'll post more later....

I don't know if you checked out the Omni Shoreham; it's a couple of blocks from the National Zoo and a block from a Metro station. There are a lot of good (ethnic) restaurants within walking distance; and it's very easy to get out of DC and back onto 66 from there (Rock Creek Park is right behind it). Anyhow, just a thought, if you are still considering staying in other parts of DC. I'm not sure if it's considered in Adams Morgan or not, but it's very close.

I've stayed there several times on business.

D.C. is a dump of a city.

The Smithsonian and Air/Space Museum are money, but the rest of the city is a joke. The White House is in the projects..

and hint hint: If you get lost in the suburbs, make sure to keep the map below the window line.

D.C. is a dump of a city.

The Smithsonian and Air/Space Museum are money, but the rest of the city is a joke. The White House is in the projects..

and hint hint: If you get lost in the suburbs, make sure to keep the map below the window line.

I would keep a gun under the map in some of those suburbs.

I would keep a gun under the map in some of those suburbs.

You guys are paranoid. People from Kwameville don't worry about going to D.C. or anywhere else. We's conditioned. Del....you should be ashamed of yourself. Every American should tour D.C. once. You would think a guy who repeatedly starts a "United States of America" thread with a pic of Mt. Rushmore would understand that. (One of my favorite 9-11 chuckles was the rush to defend Mt. Rushmore.....Like we could be so lucky to have terrorists attack a rock !)

As I said, I've been all these places. Usually I just stop by for the day and move on. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to avoid people commuting from Virginia, and not spend a Grand doing it if I stay a couple days in the area. Thanks for the help.....and where's '59 when you need him ?

If I can't find a reasonable hotel, I'm thinking of staying away from D.C. and take the Metro system in. Somewhere in Maryland....maybe by Annapolis, looks like the best bet to try this. Does anyone have any insight on doing this ? Is this a good idea ?

As far as Baltimore.....We're going to see the aquarium. What else is there besides the Waterfront area that I shouldn't miss ? Is the Poe thing worth it ? Stay by Camden Yards ?.....

Thanks for the help.....and where's '59 when you need him ?

Right here. B)

Okay;I'll admit right out of the gate I'm a bit "Baltimore-biased";I grew up in Silver Spring-right outside of D.C.-but as soon as I went to Baltimore,I was hooked.I won't get into the details here;but let's just say it's called "Charm City" for a reason.I then proceeded to find myself a girl that was born and raised in Baltimore;and married her. B)

As far as what not to miss;I don't know what level of "night life" you want to see,but if you do,I have two words:

Fells Point.

There's a bar in Fells Point called "The Horse You Rode In On" that's rumored to have the ghost of Edgar Allan Poe lurking around.

There's also a whole stretch of them all in that immediate area...

.....and Camden Yards is definetly worth a visit.There's also a sports museum (that's also a little biased B) ;but it's worth a visit as well.

Yes;the Edgar Allen Poe thing is worth it.

As far as hotels go;the best bet is to stay outside of the city limits-they're cheaper.

U.S.1 runs directly from D.C. to Baltimore;and there is a whole lot of holtels (and motels) along that stretch of road.

.....and don't put "Baltimore" and "D.C." in the same sentence again..... B)

You guys are paranoid. People from Kwameville don't worry about going to D.C. or anywhere else. We's conditioned. Del....you should be ashamed of yourself. Every American should tour D.C. once. You would think a guy who repeatedly starts a "United States of America" thread with a pic of Mt. Rushmore would understand that. (One of my favorite 9-11 chuckles was the rush to defend Mt. Rushmore.....Like we could be so lucky to have terrorists attack a rock !)

As I said, I've been all these places. Usually I just stop by for the day and move on. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to avoid people commuting from Virginia, and not spend a Grand doing it if I stay a couple days in the area. Thanks for the help.....and where's '59 when you need him ?

I didn't intend that comment for folks like you being from Detroit, or me from Los Angeles. We can pretty much take care of ourselves. But some sod busters from Kansas wearing their matching "We're not in Kansas anymore" t-shirts, might want stay closer to the beaten track in a few of those places.

:lol:

Right here. B)

Okay;I'll admit right out of the gate I'm a bit "Baltimore-biased";I grew up in Silver Spring-right outside of D.C.-but as soon as I went to Baltimore,I was hooked.I won't get into the details here;but let's just say it's called "Charm City" for a reason.I then proceeded to find myself a girl that was born and raised in Baltimore;and married her. B)

As far as what not to miss;I don't know what level of "night life" you want to see,but if you do,I have two words:

Fells Point.

There's a bar in Fells Point called "The Horse You Rode In On" that's rumored to have the ghost of Edgar Allan Poe lurking around.

.....and Camden Yards is definetly worth a visit.There's also a sports museum (that's also a little biased B) ;but it's worth a visit as well.

As far as hotels go;the best bet is to stay outside of the city limits-they're cheaper.

U.S.1 runs directly from D.C. to Baltimore;and there is a whole lot of holtels (and motels) along that stretch of road.

U.S. # 1 it is then. Unfortunately the Orioles are on the road that week, or we'd try to take in a game. Baltimore is my idea....driven thru but never stopped. Fells Point sounds good. Don't party much anymore, but a burger and a couple beers sounds good after some touring. Thanks for your help, and if I have any more questions I'll give you a pm shout.

U.S. # 1 it is then. Unfortunately the Orioles are on the road that week, or we'd try to take in a game. Baltimore is my idea....driven thru but never stopped. Fells Point sounds good. Don't party much anymore, but a burger and a couple beers sounds good after some touring. Thanks for your help, and if I have any more questions I'll give you a pm shout.

Oh, I guess we are all so stupid. Go ahead and PM him, see what we care. BTW smarty, there are two MLB teams in the area these days. Go to a Hagerstown Suns minor league game.

Oh, I guess we are all so stupid. Go ahead and PM him, see what we care. BTW smarty, there are two MLB teams in the area these days. Go to a Hagerstown Suns minor league game.

True, but with a new stadium I just figured tickets would be hard to come by. I might give it a try though....depends on how much time we have. Been to Fenway, Wrigley, & Candlestick, so either would fit in the collection nicely. Don't be so sensitive....It'll be ok. :)

Right here. B)

Fells Point.

I used to love the HorseYou Came in On. Back when the Fells Point was still a forgotten crumbling waterfront wayside, I would roll out of the pub to relieve myself across the street in the rubble (now a tourist walkway). The cobble stones proved very handy for tossing at wharf rats that scurried about. That part of Charm City has been lost forever, but you can still get a feel for how the bars were. Try Leadbetters they often have live music and no cover.

Archived