Top Three Bassist

eagle87

Well Bonzo died in 1980 so you have to consider In Through the Outdoor 1980. Id say that is very good!

Not sure what John Bonhams unfortunate death in late 1980 has to do with ITTOD being recorded in late 1978 and released in "79"??

A pair of decent albums from 1980..

Van Halen - Women and children first

Ac/Dc Back In black

Of course, not much in the bass department there. :D

I think the songs "The Pot" and "Schism" are both objective proof that Justin Chancellor is in fact the greatest bassist of all time..... :D

*waits for the incoming flames*

He soo good. don't forget 46 and Two and Reflection

I wish more bands today ditch the rhythm guitarist and have the bassist do that part while still adding the low end. There is a band that plays a block away from me and they have two rhythm guitarist along with a lead and a guy on a synthesizer who only does bass lines along with a bassist. They ask me to join before they found the new bassist, and i told them that I'm a musician, not a backing track. They thought i was a idiot.

Of course he's not the greatest of all time....but he's got a fantastic start, and time. B)

Yeah, he's a really funky bass player, great sense of rhythm, I was joking when I said he was the greatest though, I don't think there is a "greatest", only a person's favourites.

Edit: Yeah Pb, I really think the bass guitar can be a lead instrument.

Women and Children First totally slipped my mind, probably my favorite Van Halen album.

As for the 80s, there was lots of good stuff then: U2, R.E.M. the Itals, Waylon, Willie, the Blasters, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, the Cure, the Replacements, the Long Ryders, Lone Justice, Guadalcanal Diary, Los Lobos, the Alarm, 10,000 Maniacs and tons more.

Can't say that I agree that the 90s (or any one particular music decade for that matter) sucked as there were lots of good artists then too: Pearl Jam, Fury in the Slaughterhouse, John Prine, P.J. Harvey, Smashing Pumpkins, Cry of Love, Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies, World Party, U2, Soundgarden, the Men, 10,000 Maniacs, Widespread Panic and many, many others.

Sorry, but I can't stand the bass in Seinfeldt. That is not my kind of bass style. Same goes for that JPJ youtube video someone posted.. The song sucks. I'm picky regarding bass.

Great records released in the year 1980:

The Damned - The Black Album

e848373223h.jpg

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

f17005ddswo.jpg

Motörhead - Ace Of Spades

e8115768nms.jpg

Bruce Springsteen - The River

f39342yhhz9.jpg

Women and Children First totally slipped my mind, probably my favorite Van Halen album.

As for the 80s, there was lots of good stuff then: U2, R.E.M. the Itals, Waylon, Willie, the Blasters, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, the Cure, the Replacements, the Long Ryders, Lone Justice, Guadalcanal Diary, Los Lobos, the Alarm, 10,000 Maniacs and tons more.

Can't say that I agree that the 90s (or any one particular music decade for that matter) sucked as there were lots of good artists then too: Pearl Jam, Fury in the Slaughterhouse, John Prine, P.J. Harvey, Smashing Pumpkins, Cry of Love, Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies, World Party, U2, Soundgarden, the Men, 10,000 Maniacs, Widespread Panic and many, many others.

Pearl Jam is maybe the best from the 90's. Also we have Alice in Chains. I like some songs of Soundgarden. I grouw up with kind of music.

Andwe already talk about the 80's. Van Halen and Aerosmith (I know... 70's, but they own the 80's so..), Guns and Roses, U2, etc.

I don't know about Van Halen and Aerosmith "owning the 80s". I guess it's up to everyone's individual perspectives but Van Halen sort of lost it towards the end with David Lee Roth and their return with Sammy Hagar didn't do a whole lot for me. I like some of it but for the most part their Hagar era stuff pales in comparison to the Diamond Dave material. In regards to Aerosmith, with very few exceptions their "comeback" records don't even begin to hold a candle to their early records. Still a very kickass live band though. I don't know, I guess when I think about the 80s I have a tendency to think more of the artists that grew out of the post punk movement such as R.E.M. and U2 and not so much of bands like Aerosmith and Van Halen. It was also a very good time for reggae (despite the passing of Marley) and Stevie Ray Vaughan helped kickstart a blues revival that was much needed during a time when "hair" bands were ruling the roost.

I was wondering if Paul McCartney still plays bass? I've watched a few DVD'S of his shows from the last 10 years, and he seemed to be only playing guitar or uke...

Yes he plays the bass (not a "Bass Player"). Look him in Live 8.

• 1 month later...
Well I think...

Roger Waters - Pink Floyd

JPJ - Led Zeppelin

John Entwistle - The Who

But I think they are at the same level.

Gotta disagree with you about Roger Waters. Great songwriter, but not quite a fabulous bassist. He was actually a bit sluggish in his way of playing (which also fit Floyds mellow sound) He was the perfect fit for that group but as far as being a strong influence, he doesn't come to mind. He didn't do anything that really stood out to me, but that's just my opinion. Agree with you about the other two, but it's all about your personal style and taste. You like who you like. Great topic.

I've always been impressed with JPJ as a multi-instrumentalist, but may have been underestimating him as a pure bass player. Maybe there's so much else going on in Zep songs, with Page and Bonzo being so overpowering. Jack Bruce must really be something, to still stand out during his Cream years alongside Clapton and Baker. When I listen to the Who or Beatles, there's very little instrumentally to distract me from the bass playing - Entwistle and McCartney are the show (although Moon was one of the most interesting drummers). This is all to my ears and attention, of course...

I know people love to compare.......but I'd like to know how you compare?.......how fast they play, how crisp? how original their bass lines are?.......how heavy thier sound is? it's beyond me

I mean the title of the thread should be "your 3 favorite bassists".....

I wouldn't put JPJ on my list because his talents go far beyond bass playing anyway

My 3 fave are Eric Avery (Janes Addiction.....for those of you unfamiliar need only to listen to Mountain song, Three Days and Ted Just admit it to get the idea), Flea (his talents are unfortunatley muted by his band these days), and Les Claypool (uniquely talented and bizarre).....3 bassists that actually make their mark quite definitively on their respective band's music

I would say improvisation while holding the line is the most impressive, and speed would be the least - especially if only a few notes are played. Many of us are not musicians, but our ears and mind pick up certain aspects of the instruments and how they interact quite well. I tend to listen to pre 80's music, but can appreciate your choices, with the little exposure to those bands I've had.

Classic

1/ Bruce

2/ Entwistle

3/ JPJ

4/ Tom Hamilton

5/ Tom Petersson

6/ Geezer

Modern

1/ John Myung

2/ Justin Chancellor

3/ Chris Wolstenholme

4/ Doug Pinnick

5/ Ben Shepherd

6/ Adam Clayton

The top ten threads are pointless because at the end itps always a matter of opinions. So I would say that my favourite bass players are

JPJ

Glenn Hughes

John Glascock

That's the point, hear others opinions.

Archived