Top Three Bassist

eagle87

I hear you, man. Even with the price of gas being so high, it's still worth it when you buy it there!

Im paying 1.41 a liter. god dam Germans had to construct my motor to run on Super!!! I wonder if they were told so to construct in this manner during their massive gain in Technology during world war 2?

It doesn't make any sense considering most bassist today in teen bands are just root-note pluckers

It's because most all heavy rock these days is played in B or lower.

Try tuning the E string down to B on a four string bass... it gets a little sloppy.

3.Getty!!!!!

O.K. - so we all know how Geddy keeps a Helium tank hooked up to his larynx for that "singing" he does. But what device does he channel his bass through, to produce that otherworldly tone? It can't just be the Rickenbacker sound, or his finger strength?

O.K. - so we all know how Geddy keeps a Helium tank hooked up to his larynx for that "singing" he does. But what device does he channel his bass through, to produce that otherworldly tone? It can't just be the Rickenbacker sound, or his finger strength?

His brain waves seem to be the concluding factor.

Why is all heavy rock these days played in B or lower? Who decided on that?

Well it makes it easier for more generic non-singers to mug through a bunch of mediocre songs right? B)

I point at Seattle and the grunge era....detuning was the path twoards sounding more like Sabbath instead of the standard tuning hair metal that was ruling the airwaves at the time.

Then , what do you do if you want to sound even more raw, and even heavier? Add another string to the bass, and the guitar and go for B, or even A minor in some cases. I'd say Korn pretty well made B the key of the day with their 1994 debut. Followed up with their buddy Fred Durst and his band Limp Bizkit, and you had platinum selling acts utilizing those keys to get in with the Drum n' Bass thumpin my subz crowd.

• 1 year later...

No one has mentioned Tal Wilkenfeld, Jeff Beck's hot young bassist. She's an amazing player.

Jaco Pastorious is the name you'll hear over and over if you just ask any pro bass player, I mean he's a fucking legend, he is the Jimi Hendrix of bass. If you were around when his solo LP came out ('75? '74?) it was like an earthquake. Even Stanley Clarke had to agree, Jaco was the shit.

Victor Whooten, Jeff Berlin, Tony Levin, all those fusion cats can cook. But I also like the real "musical" bass players, and that means guys like John Paul Jones and Paul McCartney. Very inventive with their parts while still helping the song.

The Ox, don't get me wrong, I loved him, he was a major part of the Who sound, but he had such a weird "clawing" style, I can't imagine that working with any band but the Who. But back to my top three

John Paul Jones

Jaco Pastorious

Colin Greenwood (Radiohead)

Gary Thaine! Haha! Someone remembers Uriah Heep, allright!

• 5 years later...

Another Claypool fan comes out of the woodworks! Nice! :drinks:

"Out of the woodworks?" Lol, I've been a huge fan of Les Claypool for quite some time. I use to post on here a to , but stayed away for awhile. Now I'm back.

Les Claypool sounds fantastic doing Sabbath's " N.I.B." with Ozzie, but I've had a hard time finding other work by him to enjoy - the songs themselves just don't grab me...

Have you ever heard him with Oysterhead?

Archived