Top Three Bassist

eagle87

Leon Wilkeson was a great bassist. For a long time I payed little attention to his bass lines due to all the guitars from Allen, Gary, Ed and Steve, after all, it's as the three guitar army band they are famous for. But when I started listening closely to his bass playing I was blown away. He's also very tight with the drummers (both Bob and Artimus).

Leon Wilkeson was a great bassist. For a long time I payed little attention to his bass lines due to all the guitars from Allen, Gary, Ed and Steve, after all, it's as the three guitar army band they are famous for. But when I started listening closely to his bass playing I was blown away. He's also very tight with the drummers (both Bob and Artimus).

Out of all of the times I saw the post-crash Skynyrd prior to Leon's passing he wasn't with them only once (free concert at Camp Lejeune). I kept looking at the stage wondering what had happened to him. His fill-in that night was Tim Lindsay (who's now with Molly Hatchet). Evidently Leon was known to go off on binges that would sometimes last for days. Apparently this was one of those times.

I just love to listen to the bass in rock songs, even more than the lyrics. I can even appreciate it listening to groups that I care little about. I'll use Supertramp as an example: I don't know what the hell this guy is doing singing goo-goo noises or what happened to the guitarist - but hey, check out the cool little raaawhoooop thing the bass player just did! We can keep throwing names out here, and I'm going with it...

Unoriginal, I know, but in rock music to me the obvious choices are Jonesy, Flea and the Ox. Very different styles, but all of them great players. B)

and they are good choices

I just think it's telling that more people didn't name more current bass players.

You have a point, as usual. It certainly looks a bit unfair to the many capable musicians who came forth after the main period of classic rock ended. But aside from classic rock prejudices (we're all prejudiced to some degree) I think there are a couple of other factors involved here, Jahfin.

I think rock history won't be and can't be totally fair in this respect, because the 60's and 70's were also a formative period that in many respects laid the groundwork for later generations - it was a period that defined rock, so to speak. So many of the different styles and types of music, etc. were formed back then, and when you listen to these people there is a certain freshness to them that comes from the creative surge itself that they were in the midst of. One can just sense the excitement of fresh discovery and innovation in there - all the time. The whole scene was new, and still no defined patterns to follow. There definitely are such patterns for later players, and they won't be seen as equally radically innovative players.

And something else is also relevant here, it seems to me. As people's careers develop they gradually become easier to judge and to put into perspective, and it just takes a lot of time. Here too the classic rock players also seem to stand out, because you already have a pretty good overview of the whole scene they were part of, how they stood out and related to other musicians, how they influenced others, and all that. It's just a lot clearer and easier to assess.

Ya gotta give some credit to Gene Simmons, wearing all the make-up, the outfits and the platform shows and he can still play his instrument. Oh and flicking the tongue is also pretty difficult.

I hear ya!!! :):)

I just started a thread for advice to a beginner bass player, in the Musician's Corner of this forum. Please drop by, I'd appreciate it. But don't post on that subject in this thread - I'm at the other end of the spectrum with this one...

I'm not even a big Who fan, but would agree to the gap after Entwistle, a clear #1 in rock bass. Let's pretend history went differently, and Entwistle wound up in Zep. I say they go on to be just as big, with a different song output, of course - but I would bet there would have been some very powerful and improvisational ones. Now put JPJ in the Who, can we picture the same? Let's not even try. Nothing against JPJ, who is an extra-ordinary multi-instrumentalist, but he can't hold the fort for slackers. Now McCartney, I always thought he got more credit for the songwriting, singing, and being cute, than his bass playing. I've never heard anyone mention his name as a great bass player, before I started coming to this forum. Credit you guys for picking that - the melodic notes coupled with his voice are a rare gift, indeed. Jack Bruce is someone you have to listen to live stuff to really hear what he does special. Maybe Clapton and Baker didn't even care much for him taking over songs, on stage?

I dont know about big gap? I would disagree with that. But the top two are certainly correct. I dont know if I can put Jack Bruce at 3. I have a problem with that . I would say its a many wayed tie for three. McCartney probably got too much credit as a bass player becasue he was such a great singer/songwriter/etc. But Im sure there are many that would give Bruce a run for his money. But the top two I cant argue at all. And give JPJ the benefit of having to play keyoards too. So Entwistle only had to worry about the bass. The best two bass songs of all time to me are 'The Real Me" and "The Lemon Song".

You make it sound like Jones is playing both at the same time. :lol:

At any rate, this isn't about who played the more instruments, it's about bass, and the Ox was the best.

But if you want to make it about who is better musician, keep in mind that the Ox played Horns (as on "My Wife").

Did JPJ have to lay back, just a little bit, with Zep? I honestly haven't heard any of the stuff he did outside of Zep. Maybe he had more in him, than I've heard? I don't see the room for him to improvise much, in many Zep songs. He doesn't seem to have a forceful personality, to say something like "Hey Jimmy and Bonzo, tone it down a little, I want to stand in the front on this one".

Well I would say they are both heads above the rest but I have to say that Entwistle (RIP) and JPJ are tied in my book. They are the best. But saying Jack Bruce is the third best may be a stretch. I would think many would be in a tie for that spot.

While this is a Zeppelin board and that will cause there to be a greater image of the Zeppelin members than is actually true, this one just isn't close. JPJ is great, but no one can come close to touching Entwistle. It's just not a contest. Entwistle is the standard when it comes to bass because he could do so much more than anyone else. Granted this is a subjective concept... but no, JPJ is not on par with Entwistle.

Nice. But arent most bass players now going with 5 strings? It never made sense to me though. A four string will do what you need. All the great bands of yesteryear used 4 strings to my knowledge including Entwistle and JPJ.

I think the same way. The other day I saw a Six strings Bass Guitar :blink:

flaggus-ic6-2.jpg

Not realy that one... but you know. Sounds good but man, 6 strings?... A lot for me right now.

I just started a thread for advice to a beginner bass player, in the Musician's Corner of this forum. Please drop by, I'd appreciate it. But don't post on that subject in this thread - I'm at the other end of the spectrum with this one...

Ok I will be there... Thanks

Archived