Who do you think are the Best Bands of the 90's

The Rover

Everything made in the 90s is garbage! 70s rule!

wow.

guess they should just go ahead and lock this thread then, huh.

I can see how KC and the Sunshine Band and Pablo Cruise is far superior to garbage like Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

What a pointless thread, eh.

wow.

guess they should just go ahead and lock this thread then, huh.

I can see how KC and the Sunshine Band and Pablo Cruise is far superior to garbage like Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

What a pointless thread, eh.

I was thinking more of Zeppelin, Who, Stones, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, etc from the 70s. Beatles were great (60's). Lots of great stuff from the 50s. 90s??? Rap and shit that doesnt even deserve to be called music.

I was thinking more of Zeppelin, Who, Stones, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, etc from the 70s. Beatles were great (60's). Lots of great stuff from the 50s. 90s??? Rap and shit that doesnt even deserve to be called music.

Every decade's had music I didn't care for but I've also found plenty to like.

you're the one who made the all-inclusive statement.

I was simply demonstrating the folly of such absolutism.

And for the record, I'd take Tool over The Who or Stones ANY day.

And for the record I'm not one of the "younger" members - I'm 47 and a true 70s child.

As for rap, I'd take "Doggystyle" or "The Chronic" over pretty much any album from The Who or Stones as well.

Having grown up with them, I've always felt that, although their place in history cannot be ignored, the Stones and The Who were overrated. I'll get hammered for saying so, but it's my opinion.

And I saw the Stones live in '78 for the "Some Girls" tour - fun to be there in a historical way, but not even in the top 10 of the best shows I've ever seen.

Finally, again, to clarify, I said "overrated". I don't think the Stones and Who suck, they've got some good songs.

But to say NOTHING from the 90s stands up to the 70s is pretty ridiculous.

• 2 years later...

wow! didn't know this thread existed. was before I arrived on this planet.

anyway, the 90's eh? when were they? did anyone mention the Macarena?

Seriously, folks.

Big Wreck, Tea Party, Dog's Eye View, Days of the New, Tantric. Green Day's early efforts too.

those are just a few of me favorites.

oh, and how can i forget Gov't Mule :slapface:

During the actual 90s (as opposed to listening to the bands now), not much. Some DMB, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and a couple of others, but those were the Barney/Blues Clues/Wiggles years for me. :unsure:

Oh, Hootie and the Blowfish. Yeah.

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned the White Stripes...I only discovered them in the '00s so I can't truthfully put them on my list.

Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, The Black Crowes, Ministry....................

Regarding the 1980's, there was a ton of great music from that decade too. You just had to go out of your way to find it. Replacements, REM, Sonic Youth, Husker Du.......every decade has great music. Sadly you just have to look really hard to find it most of the time.

Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, The Black Crowes, Ministry....................

Regarding the 1980's, there was a ton of great music from that decade too. You just had to go out of your way to find it. Replacements, REM, Sonic Youth, Husker Du.......every decade has great music. Sadly you just have to look really hard to find it most of the time.

I would tape MTV's 120 Minutes every Sunday. That, and Post Modern MTV introduced me to a lot of new artists.

I didn't watch that much MTV to be honest, but sure there were some great bands on there, every now and then. My absolute favourite band from the 90's has to be The Hellacopters though. Another great band was Union Carbide Production who later evolved into The Soundtrack Of Our Lives.

I'm curious to know why so many at this site attribute the so-called "death of rock n' roll" to something that happened in the 80s. To my ears, it is one of the most musically vibrant decades on record.

I'd guess because it was the decade where quality music went underground, it emerged to a certain degree in the early 90's but you've still needed to search for the best stuff rather than have it fall into your lap ala Zep or Floyd ever since.

As to the question I was never really much of a fan of US alt rock ibands that appeared in the 90's so it would be mostly British bands/acts for me with Spritualized, Primal Scream, Massive Attack, Radiohead, Orbital, The Verve and Shack/Michael Head standing out as the best

If I had to pick one it would probabley be Massive Attack, only three albums but all of them were near faultless and covered a great deal of ground musically.

Nirvana

Alice In Chains

Soundgarden

Pearl Jam

The Black Crowes

Radiohead

Pantera

Metallica

Eric Clapton

Jeff Buckley

Korn

Guns N' Roses

Weezer

U2

Tool

Stone Temple Pilots

The Smashing Pumpkins

Nine Inch Nails

R.E.M.

Oasis

Blur

The Verve

Queensryche

The Offspring

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Just to name a few 90s bands and artists I like. Even the 90s were really good decade of music.

wow! didn't know this thread existed. was before I arrived on this planet.

anyway, the 90's eh? when were they? did anyone mention the Macarena?

Seriously, folks.

Big Wreck, Tea Party, Dog's Eye View, Days of the New, Tantric. Green Day's early efforts too.

those are just a few of me favorites.

oh, and how can i forget Gov't Mule :slapface:

I can't believe I left out The Gandharvas.

Awesome and underrated Canadian band.

Take note Americans. Lots of great music north of the border besides Rush.

All of these bands were popular enough to be on major labels at some point, wouldn't have had to get too far off the mainstream path to stumble into those bands.

Pearl Jam

The Black Crowes

Radiohead

Jeff Buckley

Weezer

U2

R.E.M.

Oasis

Blur

The Verve

Just to name a few 90s bands and artists I like. Even the 90s were really good decade of music.

Totally agree on those, especially Radiohead. I freakin' love Radiohead.

Radiohead's two albums from '95 & '97 (The Bends & OK Computer) are possibly the 2 best back-to-back albums by anyone, ever. And Smashing Pumpkins run from '91-'95 with Gish, Siamese Dream, and Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness are incredible, especially Siamese Dream. Just awesome work.

Archived