Zeppelin best live act ever. Classic Rock magazine poll

ledded1

The most recent isue of Classic Rock magazine has had a musicians and journalists poll for the top 50 best ever live acts.

the list is

1. Led Zeppelin

2. The Who

3. AC/DC

4. Jimi Hendrix

5. Pink Floyd

6. Queen

7. Iron Maiden

8. Rolling Stones

9. Kiss

10. Beatles

11. Aerosmith

12. Van Halen

13. Guns n Roses

14. Radiohead

15. Rage against the machine

16. Cream

17. Bruce Springsteen

18. The Clash

19. Thin Lizzy

20. UFO

21. Yes

22. The Police

23. Slayer

24. Rammstein

25. Motorhead

26. U2

27. Soundgarden

28. Ramones

29. David Bowie

30. Fugazi

31. Paul Mccartney

32. REM

33. Staus Quo

34. Nirvana

35. Rainbow

36 Rush

37. Fleetwood Mac

38. Marillion

39. Motley Crue

40. Metallica

41. Jeff Beck Group

42. Deep Purple

43. Alice Cooper

44. Genesis

45. Sensational Alex Harvey band

46. Dio

47. Greatful Dead

48. Heart

49. Muse

50. Rory Gallagher.

Some obvious omissions for me are Free, Jethro Tull, Sabbath ZZ top, Allman Brothers, CSNY. ELP. But I guess everyone will have their own opinions from those they have seen.

I have highlighted the bands I have seen on the list and some would be in there others further down if on at all.

The most recent isue of Classic Rock magazine has had a musicians and journalists poll for the top 50 best ever live acts.

the list is

1. Led Zeppelin

2. The Who

3. AC/DC

4. Jimi Hendrix

5. Pink Floyd

6. Queen

7. Iron Maiden

8. Rolling Stones

9. Kiss

10. Beatles

11. Aerosmith

12. Van Halen

13. Guns n Roses

14. Radiohead

16. Cream

17. Bruce Springsteen

18. The Clash

19. Thin Lizzy

20. UFO

21. Yes

22. The Police

23. Slayer

24. Rammstein

25. Motorhead

26. U2

27. Soundgarden

28. Ramones

29. David Bowie

30. Fugazi

31. Paul Mccartney

32. REM

33. Staus Quo

34. Nirvana

35. Rainbow

36 Rush

37. Fleetwood Mac

38. Marillion

39. Motley Crue

40. Metallica

41. Jeff Beck Group

42. Deep Purple

43. Alice Cooper

44. Genesis

46. Dio

47. Greatful Dead

48. Heart

49. Muse

50. Rory Gallagher.

Some obvious omissions for me are Free, Jethro Tull, Sabbath ZZ top, Allman Brothers, CSNY. ELP. But I guess everyone will have their own opinions from those they have seen.

I have highlighted the bands I have seen on the list and some would be in there others further down if on at all.

Allmans should be on there no question, Slayer? No way

What about Page & Plant?? Second best act I've seen, after reunion Zep.

(The Beatles and Paul McCartney are in there separately.)

I'd add Trans-Global Underground too, but maybe not many people have seen them or something. That's the only explanation I can think of for them being left off the list.

I think Classic Rock is published in Britain, so the Allman Brothers may not be so big over there. Funny they were the first omission I noticed, too.

That list looks like the standard hard rock names that you would expect them to cite. A little weird the Grateful Dead didn't make it higher up on the list considering they're the highest-grossing concert act ever, and some people dedicated their lives to following them around the world.

ELP for me are the biggest omission, what other keyboard player had a live act like Keith Emerson, what other drummer brought showmanship to Carl Palmers level with his revolving rostrum etc. They more or less took their own stage on tour with them, and lets not forget they actually toured with a 44 piece full orchestra, and Emersons end over end revolving fullsize grand piano.

Its a very sad state of affairs when a band of that calibre is being forgotten. it would be a crime to not have them in th etop 5 let alone not make the list!

one of my favs (more proto-punk then classic rock...)

but MC5 made their mark as a live band... their debut, and best album was recorded live...

one of the great live albums... ranks right up there with

live @ the leeds (who)

live @ fillmore east (allmans)

live @ folsome prison(cash)

all amazing and Kick Out the Jams ranks right up there!!!

While I certainly have issues with some of the bands or their relative positions, I can't argue with having Zep and The Who in the top two positions...spot on.

Rolling Stones place only 8th, after Iron Maiden? Get real. And Jimi Hendrix has been gone for so long, I find it hard to believe that many of those polled actually attended one of his concerts.

But I guess this achieves what many "best of" lists are supposed to do: wind people up!

Rolling Stones place only 8th, after Iron Maiden? Get real. And Jimi Hendrix has been gone for so long, I find it hard to believe that many of those polled actually attended one of his concerts.

But I guess this achieves what many "best of" lists are supposed to do: wind people up!

"We are not the kind, you have to wind up on sundays..." rsrsrs...

Beatles only ten?

ELP for me are the biggest omission, what other keyboard player had a live act like Keith Emerson, what other drummer brought showmanship to Carl Palmers level with his revolving rostrum etc. They more or less took their own stage on tour with them, and lets not forget they actually toured with a 44 piece full orchestra, and Emersons end over end revolving fullsize grand piano.

Its a very sad state of affairs when a band of that calibre is being forgotten. it would be a crime to not have them in th etop 5 let alone not make the list!

Couldn't agree more .... and you missed mentioning Keith laying under the Hammond and playing it from behind .... after throwing knives in

Just proves the list of things they did in concert is endless ... can't believe they got left off!

I have seen the bands in Bold in person:

The most recent issue of Classic Rock magazine has had a musicians and journalists poll for the top 50 best ever live acts.

The list is:

1. Led Zeppelin :D

2. The Who

3. AC/DC

4. Jimi Hendrix

5. Pink Floyd

6. Queen

7. Iron Maiden

8. Rolling Stones

9. Kiss

10. The Beatles

11. Aerosmith

12. Van Halen

13. Guns n Roses

14. Radiohead

16. Cream

17. Bruce Springsteen

18. The Clash

19. Thin Lizzy

20. UFO

21. Yes

22. The Police

23. Slayer

24. Rammstein

25. Motorhead

26. U2

27. Soundgarden

28. Ramones

29. David Bowie

30. Fugazi

31. Paul Mccartney

32. REM

33. Staus Quo

34. Nirvana

35. Rainbow

36 Rush

37. Fleetwood Mac

38. Marillion

39. Motley Crue

40. Metallica

41. Jeff Beck Group

42. Deep Purple 1973

43. Alice Cooper 1972

44. Genesis

46. Dio

47. Greatful Dead

48. Heart

49. Muse

50. Rory Gallagher

Some obvious omissions for me are Free, Jethro Tull, Sabbath, ZZ Top, The Allman Brothers, CSNY, ELP. But I guess everyone will have their own opinions from those they have seen.

I would add Grand Funk Railroad, SRV, DEVO, and, Kate Bush to that list!

I have seen Eric Clapton, Stevie Nicks, and Jeff Beck ~~ solo.

Eric solo was fantastic in 1983! Jeff was good and all... but Eric was on another level ! ! !

I can't believe U2 are at 26... when I've seen them it's been a religious experience. Guess I need to get out more.

Never saw Zep, sadly, but The Who was definintely the best band I ever saw live. Past religion, into orgasmic.

Number one, eh?

Ah, another reason for me to hate the fact that I was born in the 80s. Dang my parents. Why couldn't my mom have had me when she was 13? My dad got to see them, he should have shared the wealth. :P

Im from 1987...

Damn! :angry:

Archived