The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

Any other Southern/ Skynyrd junkies on here???

Im goin to the Skynyrd concert on May 30th in my hometown of Lexington, KY, and ITS GONNA BE SWEET.

The only thing that could be better is if Ronnie and the rest of the gang where there =(

R.I.P Ronnie Van Zant, Allen Collins, Leon Wilkenson, Steve Gains

Edited by LednyrdZepnyrd

I'm a fan but more of the pre-crash version of Skynyrd. I don't hate the post-crash version but they don't even come close to holding a candle to the original. Lately I've been enjoying the recently issued Deluxe Edition of Street Survivors.

Im goin to the Skynyrd concert on May 30th in my hometown of Lexington, KY, and ITS GONNA BE SWEET.

The only thing that could be better is if Ronnie and the rest of the gang where there =(

R.I.P Ronnie Van Zant, Austin Collins, Leon Wilkenson, Steve Gains

That's Allen Collins

I was a big fan of Skynyrd in my late teens and early 20's. I seen them live at least three times since 1987. They put on a great show. To me Allen Collins is underrated. I hope you enjoy the show.

R.I.P Ronnie Van Zant, Allen Collins, Leon Wilkenson, Steve Gains

.....You forgot Cassie.

I agree with Jahfin;I'm a big fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1973-1977;but the newer version,not so much.

I'll take it one step further (not that I'm speaking for anyone other than myself) but the way I see it is this:The two people that wrote "Free Bird" are gone,so what's the point?

Edited by 59LesPaul

I dig the Skynyrd, i been a fool with "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" while drinking on more than a few occasions. But my song would be Molly Hatchet "Dream I'll Never See". Such a good song along with "Flirtin' with Disaster". I also hate to admit, I dig Jackly and "Redneck Punk". But Molly Hatchet i like a lot.

HUGE Skynyrd fan here......since day one!! I love all of their songs. I've got nearly all of their albums and NO my fave song is not Sweet Home Alabama even though I love it. My fave song by LS is "Lend a Helpin' Hand" and "Wino"...............damn kick ass tunes!! I'm into Van Zant nowadays too.

LYNYRDSKYNYRDwrittenlogowithrebelfl.jpg

lynyrd1Small.jpg

Gary Rossington and Ed King and Me 92 Meridian Mississippi. I posted these in a different spot but I guess i can do it again.

lastscan-1.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd and My Friend Cheryl and Me 2006

P1003917.jpg

My Skynyrd Tattoo

Picture033.jpg

Charlie Daniels and My Friend Cheryl and Me 2003

LEROUXANDME2001BAYSTLOUIS.jpg

Leroux and Me onstage Gulfport MIssissippi 2001

Edited by alwizard03

Al knows everybody!

I dig some Skynyrd, and yeah, same as most people. '73-'77 Skynyrd can't be beat. Not much other southern Rock I listen to other than them and The Allman Bros. I have a Molly Hatchet album (their debut) but haven't listened to it yet.

Yeah, I'm a long time fan of the original band, but obviously never got to see them. I did see the later version of them in '98 (I think), Leon was still with them. They put on a great show. I think you'll enjoy their show even though they can't hold up to the original band.

While I may not be so fond of the post-crash Skynyrd, if it weren't for the Tribute Tour in 1987 I never would have seen them in any capacity so I'm forever thankful for that. I have mixed feelings about Van Zant, while I like some of what I've heard of their newer stuff they seem to embrace some of the newer "country" that I simply cannot stomach such as Montgomery Gentry. I'm more into the type of country music Ronnie was into such as Merle Haggard and Waylon. Today's alt.country comes a lot closer to invoking that type of spirit than anything I've heard by Montgomery Gentry, Big & Rich, Retchin' Wilson or any of that "Muzik Mafia" crap.

While I may not be so fond of the post-crash Skynyrd, if it weren't for the Tribute Tour in 1987 I never would have seen them in any capacity so I'm forever thankful for that. I have mixed feelings about Van Zant, while I like some of what I've heard of their newer stuff they seem to embrace some of the newer "country" that I simply cannot stomach such as Montgomery Gentry. I'm more into the type of country music Ronnie was into such as Merle Haggard and Waylon. Today's alt.country comes a lot closer to invoking that type of spirit than anything I've heard by Montgomery Gentry, Big & Rich, Retchin' Wilson or any of that "Muzik Mafia" crap.

Can't but agree on all accounts. Well put.

I caught the Tribute tour back in the late 80's, and thought they were excellent. The whole place was up and dancing, or some imitation of dancing, and this was in New York! I've never heard a bad southern band, love the guitar army and lots of jamming!!!

Im more in to the blues Skynyrd which is pretty much the old skynyrd, the new skynyrd's songs and stuff are more country, escpecially with Van Zant goin on, im not a country fan, but i liek the Blues, and i do enjoy the little bit of country in some of their original albums.