The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

ZZ-Top in Houston 17 July 2009

ticket-1.jpg

600xPopupGallery3.jpg

600xPopupGallery7.jpg

600xPopupGallery-1.jpg

DSCN1638.jpg

Sorry to post this so many times but this is where it belongs this is my third meeting with them and only photo so it means a bunch to Me.

Edited by alwizard03

lastscan3.jpg

My third set of autographs

DSC05845.jpg

Me with My Autographed 8x10 and My Flag which is signed by The Allman Brothers , ZZ-Top , Lynyrd

Skynyrd , Leroux , Charlie Daniels Band ,Wet Willie Band a work in progress. Oh yes and let us not forget Billy Gibbons Towel it was a good night.

Edited by alwizard03

• 1 year later...

THUNDERHEAD75.jpg

A outstanding Band that did not last great southern Music Ronnie Dobbs on Guitar .He has played in numerous really good bands.

JJ Muggler

Option Zero

Johnny Winter

Bachman Turner Overdrive

Picture024.jpg

Thunderhead returns great show even have some new material

Picture026.jpg

Mike Dagger - Vocals , Flute , Harmonica He is the fella with the short hair

Tommy Torello - Drums Tommy has played with Johnny Winter and Black Oak Arkansas and Michael Bolton and numerous other folks

and of course Me being a fan and part time Roadie by whoever needs one

Picture011.jpg

Edited by alwizard03

Picture183.jpg

Tommy T

Picture154.jpg

Picture137.jpg

Picture144.jpg

this band is on the net as The Thunderhead Band check them out also anyone on this forum that use to go to concerts at the Warehouse in New Orleans in the 70's may know the singer as He played in a Band called the Paper Steamboat and opened quite a few shows back in the day this night was a reunion for both Bands and Thunderhead is supposed to be putting together a Tour in the near future . I hope it works out for them I have some pictures of the steamboat reunion and more of Thunderhead if anyone wants to see them just ask and you shall recieve

Edited by alwizard03

Tuesday's Gone was playing on the PA when Zep came onstage the only time I saw them live. I think it was near the end of the song when Zep came on.

What a shame they couldn't make it onstage about 6 minutes earlier.

What a shame the show wasn't cancelled and the whole Pronounced album played in the PA instead.

• 1 month later...

I like Lynyrd Skynyrd. Great band. I discovered them long ago when I was still in primary school and I loved them. Actually I've always loved southern rock music in general. My favorite albums are Lynyrd Skynyrd, Second Helping and Street Survivors. "Sweet Home Alabama" is timeless song, it really never seems to get old. :D I'll never forget hearing "Tuesday's Gone", "Simple Man" and "Free Bird" solo. Those songs can really bring tears to your eyes. :) It's awesome band with such a many good songs.

Tuesday's Gone was playing on the PA when Zep came onstage the only time I saw them live. I think it was near the end of the song when Zep came on.

What a shame they couldn't make it onstage about 6 minutes earlier.

What a shame the show wasn't cancelled and the whole Pronounced album played in the PA instead.

Not sure I get either of these comments...

Occam'sRazor - 6 minutes earlier - you didn't want to hear Tuesday's Gone?

Swede - I'm guessing you're being sarcastic.

Anyway, growing up in Orlando I was a huge Skynyrd fan.

Second Helping is my favorite album, as well as the second album I ever owned.

I Need You is probably my favorite Skynyrd tune, along with Tuesday's Gone and Simple Man.

Lynyrd Skynyrd possessed a magic few bands have.

It was what I sometimes refer to as "whiteboy soul."

They had earnestness and sincerity in their words and music that was completely imparted to the listener.

3 guitarists didn't hurt, either.

I still thrill to the lead changes throughout Free Bird - like Stairway, it never gets old.

Not sure I get either of these comments...

Occam'sRazor - 6 minutes earlier - you didn't want to hear Tuesday's Gone?

Swede - I'm guessing you're being sarcastic.

Anyway, growing up in Orlando I was a huge Skynyrd fan.

Second Helping is my favorite album, as well as the second album I ever owned.

I Need You is probably my favorite Skynyrd tune, along with Tuesday's Gone and Simple Man.

Lynyrd Skynyrd possessed a magic few bands have.

It was what I sometimes refer to as "whiteboy soul."

They had earnestness and sincerity in their words and music that was completely imparted to the listener.

3 guitarists didn't hurt, either.

I still thrill to the lead changes throughout Free Bird - like Stairway, it never gets old.

LOL, yes I was sarcastic and joking. But truth is, I am probably more of a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan than I am a Zep fan.

I need you is one of my favs too! Did you know Ronnie asked them to turn off the lights in the studio and then he did the vocals in one take? All according to Ed King.

Edited by Swede

But truth is, I am probably more of a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan than I am a Zep fan.

Zeppelin is still tops for me, but I certainly feel you on Skynyrd.

They're totally different anyway, so they don't really "compete" in my preferences.

I need you is one of my favs too! Did you know Ronnie asked them to turn off the lights in the studio and then he did the vocals in one take? All according to Ed King.

Did not know, but that's pretty awesome and I can imagine the scene.

It's a very powerful song.

One of the shameful mistakes from my past:

The second-to-last show Skynyrd played before the crash was at Lakeland Civic Center, and either the day of or day before they came to a record store in the mall.

One of my friends got ALL of their autographs on his wallet!

Anyway, not only did I not go to the record store, I wasn't able to make the show, and of course a few days later came the plane crash.

Zeppelin is still tops for me, but I certainly feel you on Skynyrd.

They're totally different anyway, so they don't really "compete" in my preferences.

Did not know, but that's pretty awesome and I can imagine the scene.

It's a very powerful song.

One of the shameful mistakes from my past:

The second-to-last show Skynyrd played before the crash was at Lakeland Civic Center, and either the day of or day before they came to a record store in the mall.

One of my friends got ALL of their autographs on his wallet!

Anyway, not only did I not go to the record store, I wasn't able to make the show, and of course a few days later came the plane crash.

Well, they really doesn't compete in my preferences either..

I'm sorry you missed them. They sure have a great reputation for have been an awesome live act. I have only seen the tribute band, which was great (then), but not by a mile near the original band I can imagine.

Well, they really doesn't compete in my preferences either..

I'm sorry you missed them. They sure have a great reputation for have been an awesome live act. I have only seen the tribute band, which was great (then), but not by a mile near the original band I can imagine.

Yes, I DID see them in 2000, I've always loved Ricky Medlocke!

Pat Travers was the opening act, who I've always loved as well.

In 1979, I saw a band that did a Skynyrd tribute at a club.

The first set they just played regular covers.

But after the break, they came out dressed in jeans, t-shirts and all, and then you realized they actually LOOKED like Skynyrd!

The singer came out barefoot wearing hat just like RVZ carrying a bottle of Jack Daniels on his shoulder.

It was pretty kickass for a local club.

All this Lynyrd Skynyrd discussion inspired me to jam my Skynyrd playlist all day at work! icon14.gif

This is too ironic that I just put my self-made LS greatest hits disc in my vehicle this past weekend and now this thread resurfaced - great stuff!!

What is your favorite more obscure song of theirs?

The Ballad Of Curtis Lowe is one of my favs, for sure!

What is your favorite more obscure song of theirs?

Am I Losin' would have to be right up there. Others would be Don't Ask Me No Questions, All I Can Do Is Write About It, Was I Right Or Wrong?, Four Walls of Raiford, Made In the Shade and Every Mother's Son. There's plenty of others but I'll stop there.

This is too ironic that I just put my self-made LS greatest hits disc in my vehicle this past weekend and now this thread resurfaced - great stuff!!

I did the same thing!

Mine is as follows:

Tuesday's Gone

Simple Man

Things Goin' On

Mississippi Kid

I Need You

Don't Ask Me No Questions

Workin' For MCA

Needle And The Spoon

Saturday Night Special

On The Hunt

Gimme back My Bullets

That Smell

One More Time

I Know A Little

You Got That Right

As far as favorite "obscure" cuts, hard to call ANYthing off the first 2 obscure, but cuts that didn't get quite as heavy play as songs like Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama that I really love include:

Mississippi Kid

I Need You

Needle And The Spoon

On The Hunt

I Never Dreamed.

Putting Skynyrd into heavy rotation reminded me of a few things, most notable to me is -

Street Survivors is an incredible album.

They're all good, and the first 2 are legendary.

But Street Survivors is right up there - especially the first 6 songs in a row:

1. What's Your Name

2. That Smell

3. One More Time

4. I Know A Little

5. You Got That Right

6. I Never Dreamed

I remember rolling to school each morning smoking weed with That Smell blasting through the Craig PowerPlay 8-track.

I've been playing some of these songs for my 16 year-old son.

He was familiar with the cliche'/joke of people yelling Free Bird at a concert, but had never heard it from One More from The Road, so I called him in and gave him the back story about the Fox Theater and Skynyrd's 3-night stand.

I found myself feeling really proud that something that epic happened while I was growing up, and being a fan of them while they were around.

I guess it's similar to the way I feel about Zeppelin.

Edited by TypeO

As a long time and big fan of Skynyrd, it's difficult to seperate the obscure to the more known songs.. But I suppose I need you, Roll gypsy roll, Lend a helpin' hand and Was I right or wrong counts as pretty obscure, and those are definitely favs of mine.

I think Lynyrd Skynyrd are one of few bands that I have listened to regulary ever since I first discovered them.

My Skynyrd collection isn't that extensive, so I guess I will need to add more to it. Swede, what I meant by more obscure is basically the songs that our American radio hasn't played to death. They seem to play the same 10 songs or so from them. I really love the way Ronnie tells a story within the songs and how the music really sets the mood. I didn't live in the south when I was young, so I wasn't as exposed to their music as people born in the south were. Needle and the Spoon is also a big favorite of mine Type O. I heard an interview with Artimus Pyle many years ago when he spoke about his first hand knowledge of the crash - what an absolute tragedy. Hard to believe we lost so many great musicians within a decades time.......

I'm not sure if it was ever released as a single but The Ballad of Curtis Loew definitely got a lot of airplay in these parts. That was post-crash so I'm thinking it was being played more as a deep album cut and probably because it's a very heavily requested fan favorite.

I didn't live in the south when I was young, so I wasn't as exposed to their music as people born in the south were.

I don't think living in the South exposed one to more of their music. They received airplay and toured extensively, neither was confined just to one region. In one interview I heard with Gary Rossington, he said Confederate flags were more prominent in the audience north of the Mason-Dixon line than they were down South.

I didn't know it was released post-crash. I grew up in the middle of upstate New York and never even saw a Confederate flag until my first trip to the Daytona 500 in 1980! I am not doubting what you are saying at all, just what my personal experience was. It wasn't' until we moved to Florida that I realized how big of a band Skynyrd was - really just about at the same level as Zeppelin down in these parts. Thanks for cluing me in on those facts. You always have something interesting to add, Jahfin.

I didn't know it was released post-crash. I grew up in the middle of upstate New York and never even saw a Confederate flag until my first trip to the Daytona 500 in 1980! I am not doubting what you are saying at all, just what my personal experience was. It wasn't' until we moved to Florida that I realized how big of a band Skynyrd was - really just about at the same level as Zeppelin down in these parts. Thanks for cluing me in on those facts. You always have something interesting to add, Jahfin.

Curtis Loew wasn't released as a single post-crash, I'm just saying that over time it got requested at radio a lot as a fan favorite and now receives a good bit of airplay. Not as much as Freebird or Sweet Home Alabama but more than your average deep album track.

As far as the growing up in the South thing is concerned, I'm not sure if it's still the case but at one time the most popular radio station in the country was a Country music station based out of New York City. When the Drive-By Truckers first released Southern Rock Opera (their paen to arena rock, what it was like to grow up in the South in the 70s and tragic story arc of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd), lead singer and songwriter Patterson Hood said the album was better received up North than it was in the South. This fits the thematic aspects of that album very well, one of which is how you have to leave where you came from to fully appreciate it. This is also addressed in Mark Kemp's book, Dixie Lullaby, which tackles many of the same issues that are so prevalent on Southern Rock Opera. Strangely enough, author Mark Kemp met Patterson Hood (and heard Southern Rock Opera) by the time he was almost finished with the book but thankfully it wasn't too late to include it in Dixie Lullaby.

Funny how this thread has made me ponder similarities between Skynyrd and Zeppelin.

Does anyone else notice a similar feel between Mississippi Kid and Black Country Woman?

Not that the songs necessarily sound alike, but just a similar style of song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxXYF3WTwTs

They're both bluesy, stripped-down throwbacks.

Just my opinion.