The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

Any other Southern/ Skynyrd junkies on here???

IThe only thing that could be better is if Ronnie and the rest of the gang where there =(

R.I.P Ronnie Van Zant, Allen Collins, Leon Wilkenson, Steve Gains

Oh yes! Lynyrd Skynyrd! Great and very unfortunate band!

I would say that after LZ and Pink Floyd, the Lynyrds come as one of my favorite bands. Unfortunately, they weren't much known in Europe (where I come from) despite they had a big following from fans.

Definitely, the original line up was the REAL thing. The magic they had will never be replaced. NEVER.Without Ronnie, Allen and Steve it will never be the same. Sad but true.

This is a band like LZ that leaves a deep mark in your heart. :)

These guys don't have a damn thing to do with Skynyrd or Artimus Pyle but I've always admired their band name:

logo.jpg

...and here's a local band I've never actually heard but they're heavily endorsed by Tommy Redd (formerly of Nantucket):

COS2index.jpg

I will never forget the tragedy that hit Skynyrd......why do some of the best have to go first?!:(:(

Since this thread has come this far and I don't think this album has been mentioned yet, I'm gonna go ahead and throw it out there:

sro_cover_lyrics.jpg

The Truckers may not be for everybody but this record tells the story of Skynyrd's tragic tale with a bit of mythmaking thrown in....

being from ga skynyrd is still all around-my girl was at the one more from the road concert .ive got the street survivors ALBUM with flames.skynyrd is a awsome band i played a few of thier tunes today-on the hunt-comin home-simple man{simple man was played at my nephews funeral-rest in peace JIMMY im still rocking and i still got something good for the head bro}

I have a stub from this same tour, in fact it was my first concert (my first big one anyway). The Allmans played in Savannah, GA with their roadies as the opening act.

It was a great show we got out the doors just about daylight.

shelterfest.jpg

Shelterfest 92 Meridan Mississippi Lynyrd Skynyrd , Jefferson Starship, Pat Travers

myskynyrdticket76.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd and Point Blank

skynyrdheart77anihiemstadium.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd , Ted Nugent , Foriegner , Heart

SKYNYRD77.jpg

Skynyrd 77

Edited by alwizard03

ALLMANBROTHERS72.jpg

Allman Brothers 72

SKYNYRD75WAREHOUSE.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd Warehouse 1975 New Orleans LA

OUTLAWS77BATONROUGE-1.jpg

The Outlaws Baton Rouge 1977 opening for Bad Company LSU assy center

LYNYRDSKYNYRD76FRTWORTH.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd 1976 Climax Blues Band and Mothers Finest

Edited by alwizard03

ZZTOP4JUL74ALABAMA.jpg

ZZ Top 1974

ZZTOPWAREHOUSENEWORLEANS74.jpg

ZZ Top New Orleans 1974 This is the show were they recorded the Live side of Fandango

ZZTOP75.jpg

ZZ Top New Orleans LA 1975 with Jeff Beck, Fleetwood Mac , Aerosmith , Trooper , J Boy Adams

ROSSINGTONWILKENSON93.jpg

Skynyrd 93

Edited by alwizard03

JOHNNY93.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd 93

My how time flies, Johnny looks so fucking young there.

BLACKFOOTDEFLEPPARD81.jpg

Blackfoot and Def Leppard 81

I also saw this tour. Pretty sure it was the same year. Blackfoot were touring in support of Maruader, Def Leppard had just released High n' Dry and also on the bill were the Johnny Van Zant Band who were touring behind their second record, Round Two.

SKYNYRDJACKSON88.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd and Rossington 88 Jackson Mississippi

Yet another tour I attended except it was 1987 in Charlotte. I probably saw the reunited Skynyrd at least 4 or 5 times after that as well, including the tours for their 1991 album and The Last Rebel. Unfortunately I never did see them with the lineup that included Hughie from the Outlaws and Rickey Medlocke.

Some other Southern Rock shows I've seen over the years:

Blackfoot (2x)

The first time was at the show mentioned up, the second was at Roadies in Goldsboro in support of their Siogo album when Ken Hensley from Uriah Heep was part of the line up. This was their last ever show with Charlie Hargett.

Rossington

With Skynyrd on the Tribute Tour

.38 Special (w/ Skynyrd and Charlie Daniels)

Ed King had injured his finger in a fight with Johnny Van Zant during their European tour so they had Greg Martin from the Kentucky Headhunters filling in on slide guitar

The Allman Brothers Band (4x)

Several different lineups from the Dickey years up until Derek Trucks this past summer.

Gregg Allman Band

The Outlaws (2x)

First time was on a bill with Foghat and Derringer in the mid to late 70s. Foghat was listed as the headlining band and were the most well known at the time but the Outlaws closed. The second time they were on a bill with Van Halen, Boston and Poco in 1979 at June Jam at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh. Van Halen was the headliner but the Outlaws closed.

The Marshall Tucker Band

Saw them in the late 90s on a bill with local band Nantucket at Atlantic Beach, NC. At this time there were only two or three original members of the band left but it still wasn't a bad show. Still a far cry from the original Marshall Tucker Band with Toy Caldwell though.

Molly Hatchet (3x)

I saw them several times over the years but never in the early years. However, every time I did see them it was with Danny Joe Brown.

Doc Holiday

I'm not sure how many times I saw these guys but I know I caught a few of their shows at Roadies and saw 'em at least once at Plantation Music Park outside of Trenton, NC back in the early 80s on a bill with the Super Grit Cowboy Band and Molly Hatchet. Unfortunately Molly Hatchet only got one song in before the heavens opened up and drenched us with rain which ended the show right then and there.

ZZ Top (w/Ted Nugent and Kenny Wayne Shepherd)

Tres Hombres was one of the first albums I ever owned but I never saw them in concert until just a few years ago when they were touring in support of Mescalero.

Atlanta Rhythm Section

I was never a huge fan but they played Roadies in Goldsboro, NC quite often so I went most every time they played. They were not only an impressive studio band but one hell of a live band to boot. If you ever get a chance to see the Drive-By Truckers Patterson Hood has a hell of a story to tell about Paul Goddard as a lead-in to their song Road Cases.

Not sure I'd classify these as Southern Rock in the classic sense but for the sake of the thread:

Drivin' n' Cryin' (4x)

On a bill with Skynyrd, also saw 'em in a club back when Fly Me Courageous was new) and opening for R.E.M. on the Green World Tour in Chapel Hill.

Kevn Kinney (of Drivin' n' Cryin')

As part of the Tres Tangled Truckers II line up (Kevn [sun Tangled Angel Revival], Caitlin Cary [Tres Chicas] & Jason Isbell [Drive-By Truckers] at the Pour House in Raleigh a couple of years ago.

Mother's Finest (6x)

One of the best live shows I've ever seen, hands down. Probably saw them a half dozen times a club in Goldsboro, NC called Roadies.

Nantucket

I've seen them more times than I care to remember. Since they were a NC band and I grew up in NC I had ample opportunity to see them and did, many, many times. Oddly enough my first ever show was when they were on a bill with Cheap Trick (who opened) and AC/DC in Fayetteville, NC. Nantucket were riding high on the success of their first album on Epic and were at the top of their game. I would never see them in such a huge venue again.

Black Crowes (3-4x)

I first saw them on the tour for Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. In the years since I've seen them on both the HORDE and Furthur Festival tours.

Widespread Panic (3-4x)

First show as at the now defunct Attic in Greenville, NC. I saw 'em on the HORDE at least a couple times in the years following.

Drive-By Truckers

I lost count of how many times I've seen them a very long time ago. First show was at Honky Tonk Arama at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill back in 2000. A photo of that show graces the back of their now out of print live album, Alabama Ass Whuppin'.

Edited by Jahfin

I learned something from Lynyrd Skynyrd

From my Daddy and Ernest Tubb too

This is the platinum boy that does the rock and roll country blues

Now I'm looking for a lover

And I'm going to have some fun

Oh, my name is Bocephus

Hank Williams Jr

I certainly get the Skynyrd influence on Hank, Jr.'s music and even like a tune or two but overall I prefer his Daddy's music. Same for Hank III. Hank, Jr. just comes off a little too cartoony for me to ever take seriously. Give me Hank, Sr. or Hank III any day of the week.