The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

I would have loved to have seen Waylon and Neil on the same bill. Thankfully I did see Waylon (one of my absolute favorites) once. He played out in the woods at a place called Hugo outside of Kinston, NC back in the 80s. I think the Super Grit Cowboy Band or some other local act (maybe Sutter's Gold Streak?) were also on the bill. Just before Waylon came out The Crickets took the stage and then Waylon joined them. It was during The Crickets' set that I learned one of them was the composer of The Mary Tyler Moore Show theme as they played it that day. Waylon only turned in an hour set but it was the only time I ever saw him in concert so I can't bitch too much.

I certainly get the Skynyrd influence on Hank, Jr.'s music and even like a tune or two but overall I prefer his Daddy's music. Same for Hank III. Hank, Jr. just comes off a little too cartoony for me to ever take seriously. Give me Hank, Sr. or Hank III any day of the week.

Hank Jr has his lighter side, along with the whiskey bent and hell bound side that fell down a Rocky Mountain slope.

Hank Jr has his lighter side, along with the whiskey bent and hell bound side that fell down a Rocky Mountain slope.

Oh, I'm sure he does and believe you me, I've heard enough of his music to form an opinion, I just don't care for the majority of what I've heard whether it be his "lighter" side or his "whiskey bent and hellbound" side, it's mostly just not my cup of tea. I like Hank, Sr. and Hank III much better.

In regards to his Rocky Mt accident, you should check out the Yayhoos' song Monkey With A Gun if you've never heard it.

I'm still a huge fan of Charlie Daniels' early work but I'm not much on him changing the lyrics to his old songs in concert due to his newfound Christianity or am I none too fond of some of his political views.

I agree with you but He has always had some good Music and treated Me pretty good so To each His own.Taz is the Man

GEORGESTRAIT2001NOLAALANJACKSON.jpg

Here is a country artist I like George Strait with Alan Jackson , Brad Paisley , Lee Ann Womack , Sarah Evans, Warren Brothers , Asleep at the Wheel , Br 549

GARTHBROOKSMARTINA92BILOXI.jpg

Garth Brooks and Martina Mcbride 1992 Biloxi Mississippi

Edited by alwizard03

SKYNYRD38SPECIALDRIVINANDCRYIN98.jpg

Lynyrd Skynrd , 38 Special , Drivin and Cryin 1998

SKYNYRDBADCO93JACKSONMS.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bad Company 93 Jackson Mississippi

SKYNYRD4JULY97BILOXIMS.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd , Paul Rogers , Corey Stevens Biloxi Mississippi 1997

Edited by alwizard03

Oh, I'm sure he does and believe you me, I've heard enough of his music to form an opinion, I just don't care for the majority of what I've heard whether it be his "lighter" side or his "whiskey bent and hellbound" side, it's mostly just not my cup of tea. I like Hank, Sr. and Hank III much better.

In regards to his Rocky Mt accident, you should check out the Yayhoos' song Monkey With A Gun if you've never heard it.

Hank, Sr. had a lot of heart; I notice the lyrics of "Monkey With A Gun," appear to refer to Hank, Jr. as having fallen off a mountain "somewhere in Colorado"; actually he fell while climbing Ajax Mountain near Missoula, Montana.

Edited by eternal light

Picture229.jpg

Johhny Van Zant and some Of the Members of the Jefferson Starship 92 Meridan Mississippi

Well I believe that is all the Southern Rock Pictures I can Bore you with till I get back Home in Two Weeks as that is all I have scanned in My Photobucket. Hope you liked them

Edited by alwizard03

From NME.com:

Charlie Daniels condemns the game featuring his song

Charlie Daniels, writer of the song 'The Devil Went Down To Georgia', has slammed the makers of 'Guitar Hero III' after the song was used in the game.

He has publicly stated that he would have refused permission for the song to be used if he had the power, claiming that the "very essence" of the song had been "violated".

Daniels, who wrote the song in 1979 while a member of The Charlie Daniels Band, lost the rights to the song in a past settlement.

He explained on his blog: "The song, 'The Devil Went Down To Georgia', which I wrote, is supposed to be a lighthearted novelty about a fiddling contest between a country boy and the devil and the devil always loses.

"I would never grant permission for some company to create a video game version of a song I wrote in which the devil wins a contest."

Expressing his upset at the devil character who challenges players in

the game, he added: "I'm sorely disappointed with the company who owns the copyright for not policing the situation. As it is they have allowed these people to violate the very essence of the song.

"At this time I don't know if I have any legal recourse, probably not, but I wanted you folks to know that I vehemently disagree with what has been done to a piece of my work.

"And I would like to pass along a little advice to parents of young children. This game looks innocent enough but if you have a child who is playing it, take the time to sit with him or her while they're playing along and take a serious look at the images on the screen."

'The Devil Went Down To Georgia' was Daniels' biggest hit, charting at Number Three in the US singles chart.

It has since been covered by the likes of Primus, The Levellers and Jerry Reed, and Rednex.

The song has had an impact outside of the world of music, too, with comedian Jim Davidson performing it as part of a comedy tour in 2002 and WWE wrestler The Rock singing it on US TV in 2003.

You can hear the song as it appears in Guitar Hero III by clicking below.

Guitar Hero III "The Devil Went Down To Georgia"

One thing I have noticed about all muscicians and band members is the way they die. Ive noticed that a very high percent of them die from plane crashes, drugs, and suicide. Now, most of the original Skynyrd crew died from the plane crash. Has anyone else noticed this also?

One thing I have noticed about all muscicians and band members is the way they die. Ive noticed that a very high percent of them die from plane crashes, drugs, and suicide. Now, most of the original Skynyrd crew died from the plane crash. Has anyone else noticed this also?

Yes, I have. In the business those are known as "natural" causes. Skynyrd's story has been especially tragic as at least two members (Allen Collins and Leon Wilkeson) have passed away since the plane crash.

DVD_heartworn_highways.jpg

Must-see viewing for any fan of Townes Van Zandt (pictured on the cover), Guy Clark, Steve Young (author of Seven Bridges Road), Steve Earle, David Allan Coe and Charlie Daniels. Quite a bit of the Townes footage also showed up in the very excellent documentary on his life, Be Here To Love Me.

The soundtrack is also well worth checking out:

heartworn_1.jpg

1. L.A. Freeway (2006 Remastered LP Version) Guy Clark

2. "...That's a Lightnin' Lick..." [Dialogue] (2006 Remastered LP Version) Larry Jon Wilson

3. Ohoopee River Bottomland (2006 Remastered LP Version) Larry Jon Wilson

4. That Old Time Feeling (2006 Remastered LP Version) Guy Clark

5. "...People Condemn Whiskey..." [Dialogue] (2006 Remastered LP Version) Seymour Washington

6. Waitin' 'Round To Die (2006 Remastered LP Version) Townes Van Zandt

7. I Still Sing The Old Songs (2006 Remastered LP Version) David Allan Coe

8. Intro - Desperadoes Waiting For A Train [Dialogue] (2006 Remastered LP Version) Guy Clark

9. Desperadoes Waiting For A Train (2006 Remastered LP Version) Guy Clark

10. Bluebird Wine (2006 Remastered LP Version) Rodney Crowell

11. Alabama Highway (2006 Remastered LP Version) Steve Young

12. Intro - Pancho & Lefty [Dialogue] (2006 Remastered LP Version) Townes Van Zandt

13. Pancho & Lefty (2006 Remastered LP Version) Townes Van Zandt

14. Texas Cookin' (2006 Remastered LP Version) Guy Clark

15. Charlie's Place (Gamble's Story) [Dialogue] (2006 Remastered LP Version) Gamble Rogers

16. The Black Label Blues (2006 Remastered LP Version) Gamble Rogers

17. "...These Guards All Drive Cadillacs! " [Dialogue] (2006 Remastered LP Version) David Allan Coe

18. River (2006 Remastered LP Version) David Allan Coe

19. One For The One (2006 Remastered LP Version) John Hiatt

20. Darling Commit Me (2006 Remastered LP Version) Steve Earle

21. Ballad Of Laverne And Captain Flint (2006 Remastered LP Version) Guy Clark

22. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (2006 Remastered LP Version) Steve Young

23. Mercenary Song (2006 Remastered LP Version) Steve Earle

24. "...Would You Do Elijah's Church?" [Dialogue] Steve Earle

25. Elijah's Church (2006 Remastered LP Version) Steve Earle

26. Silent Night (2006 Remastered LP Version) Rodney Crowell