The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

• 2 weeks later...

According to this article Robert Kerns (Bottle Rockets, Cry of Love and local NC band Sidewinder) will be filling in for Skynyrd bassist Ean Evans until he's well enough to return to the band. I was looking at some old photos of Sidewinder recently and never realized Kearns and Audley Freed (Cry of Love, Black Crowes, etc.) was also in that band back in the day. I must of seen them dozens of times back in the 80s. It wasn't until years later that I became aware of Audley and Robert Kearns.

Well, I can't say I'm a fan of todays incarnation of the band. I did like some of the recorded material up until the depature of Ed King in, '96, was it? After that it has gone downhill, especially regarding the writing of new songs. I never was a fan of Johnny Van Zant's or Rickey Medlocks' music.

Since I never saw the pre-crash version of the band I must say I was quite excited at the prospect of their reunion tour in 1987 and attended one of those shows along with several more after that (though none that included the Hughie Thomasson/Medlocke line up). Even the best of the post-crash material has never lived up to the work they did when Ronnie Van Zant was alive but I kept buying those albums in hopes of it coming close. I simply lost interest after a while. To me, they hit rock bottom once they started using outside writers and turned out absolute crap such as Red, White and Blue. As for Johnny Van Zant and Medlocke, I love Johnny's first solo album No More Dirty Deals as well as the majority of work Melocke did with Blackfoot, especially Strikes.

Since I never saw the pre-crash version of the band I must say I was quite excited at the prospect of their reunion tour in 1987 and attended one of those shows along with several more after that (though none that included the Hughie Thomasson/Medlocke line up). Even the best of the post-crash material has never lived up to the work they did when Ronnie Van Zant was alive but I kept buying those albums in hopes of it coming close. I simply lost interest after a while. To me, they hit rock bottom once they started using outside writers and turned out absolute crap such as Red, White and Blue. As for Johnny Van Zant and Medlocke, I love Johnny's first solo album No More Dirty Deals as well as the majority of work Melocke did with Blackfoot, especially Strikes.

Yeah, Red, White and Blue really did it for me. I'm not too supprised about the new title either, God & Guns....

Saw Skynyrd in 2000 with Rickey Medlocke on guitar - it was great, but I couldn't shake the feeling of watching a really good cover band.

Second Helping was the 2nd album I ever owned, and is without question one of the greatest albums ever.

EVERY song is a classic, and I Need You is probably my favorite Skynyrd song.

Here's a nice fix for all muh southern rockers out there - I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet. Guaranteed to stir your southern soul.

Pride & Glory, a side-project of Zakk Wylde, Ozzy's guitarist who also has his own band Black Label Society

11639.jpg

And if you get the Re-issue/Re-mastered release you get a bonus CD that has a cool version of In My Time of Dying as well as a great cover of Black Sabbath's The Wizard and Beatles Come Together.

Here's 2 pretty good songs to check out:

Troubled Wine The Chosen One

Enjoy!

Saw Skynyrd in 2000 with Rickey Medlocke on guitar - it was great, but I couldn't shake the feeling of watching a really good cover band.

Second Helping was the 2nd album I ever owned, and is without question one of the greatest albums ever.

EVERY song is a classic, and I Need You is probably my favorite Skynyrd song.

I would feel the same way, and that is why i have never seen Lynyrd Skynyrd. I became a fan in early 1977, in my pre-teens, but the tragic day occurred before i was allowed to see concerts. Without Ronnie Van Zant it has never felt like Skynyrd to me... and of course Steve and Cassie Gaines are sorely missed, too. Ronnie was not replaceable. Tuesday's Gone With the Wind, my baby's gone with the wind... I did see Rossington/Collins Band, and as i recall, pretty damn good show (1981).

Just found this really awesome article: http://www.tennesseeconcerts.com/planecrash.html

I would feel the same way, and that is why i have never seen Lynyrd Skynyrd. I became a fan in early 1977, in my pre-teens, but the tragic day occurred before i was allowed to see concerts. Without Ronnie Van Zant it has never felt like Skynyrd to me... and of course Steve and Cassie Gaines are sorely missed, too. Ronnie was not replaceable. Tuesday's Gone With the Wind, my baby's gone with the wind... I did see Rossington/Collins Band, and as i recall, pretty damn good show (1981).

Just found this really awesome article: http://www.tennesseeconcerts.com/planecrash.html

Here's why I need my ass kicked...

The week before the crash they played Lakeland Civic Center and the day before that show came to the record store in Altamonte Mall (outside Orlando) - one of my friends got all 7 autographs on his wallet! And I didn't go. :slapface:

Anyway, they saw the show (I wasn't able to come up with the money to go) and within a week came the end...

That Smell was mandatory on the Craig Powerplay on the ride to school every morning smoking buds.

billyprestonad.jpg

17 was a crazy time.

They were due to play NC on the Street Survivors tour but as we all know history took it's course so I never got to see them. I don't feel bad about having seen the Tribute Tour in 1987 or any of the other Skynyrd concerts I attended after that. To me, Skynyrd ended in that plane crash but attending those shows felt like the next best thing at the time since I never got to see the original Lynyrd Skynyrd. I can't say I think of them as a cover band since they do record new material but so much of what they perform live is by the pre-crash version of the band I know what people mean by that. I love Rossington-Collins as well but I never got to see them either. I think they were off on the right foot with that project but it was destined to come apart at the seams.

The Drive-By Truckers' Southern Rock Opera has already been mentioned in this thread but it's well worth mentioning again. This song from it pretty much fits my younger concert going days to a tee, right down to seeing the Johnny Van Zant Band, Molly Hatchet, Bon Scott with AC/DC but never seeing the original Lynyrd Skynyrd:

Dropped acid, Blue Oyster Cult concert, fourteen years old,

And I thought them lasers were a spider chasing me.

On my way home, got pulled over in Rogersville Alabama, with a half-ounce of weed and a case of Sterling Big Mouth.

My buddy Gene was driving, he just barely turned sixteen.

And I'd like to say, "I'm sorry", but we lived to tell about it

And we lived to do a whole lot more crazy, stupid, shit.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet

With .38 Special and the Johnny Van Zant Band.

One night when I was seventeen, I drank a fifth of vodka, on an empty stomach, then drove over to a friend's house. And I backed my car between his parent's Cadillac's without a scratch.

Then crawled to the back door and slithered threw the key hole, and sneaked up the stares

And puked in the toilet.

I passed out and nearly drowned but his sister, DD, pulled me out.

And the band that I was in played "The Boy's are Back in Town".

Skynyrd was set to play Huntsville, Alabama, in the spring of 77, I had a ticket but it got cancelled.

So, the show, it was rescheduled for the "Street Survivors Tour".

And the rest, as they say, is history.

So I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads in '82

Right before that plane crash.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw AC/DC

With Bon Scott singing, "Let There Be Rock Tour".

With Bon Scott singing, LET THERE BE ROCK!

Here's why I need my ass kicked...

The week before the crash they played Lakeland Civic Center and the day before that show came to the record store in Altamonte Mall (outside Orlando) - one of my friends got all 7 autographs on his wallet! And I didn't go. :slapface:

Anyway, they saw the show (I wasn't able to come up with the money to go) and within a week came the end...

That Smell was mandatory on the Craig Powerplay on the ride to school every morning smoking buds.

billyprestonad.jpg

17 was a crazy time.

You never know, that's the sad part of life. In the case of Lynyrd Skynyrd, they were becoming so popular at the time.... and if you didn't have the money, you might have figured they would be back soon. However, i would have gone to the record store! There are so many concerts i didn't get to see because i was too young to go at the time. Perfect example (see Type O's signature)... "Animals" was one of my favorite albums in 1977 (when i first discovered Pink Floyd). If i was a few years older, i could have seen that tour. Same with Led Zeppelin. I discovered them in 1976/1977, but the first time i had the chance to see Led Zeppelin tour, was in 1980. My boyfriend was getting us tickets to see the Philadelphia show scheduled for Oct 23rd, 1980 icon14.gif the show never happened.

They were due to play NC on the Street Survivors tour but as we all know history took it's course so I never got to see them. I don't feel bad about having seen the Tribute Tour in 1987 or any of the other Skynyrd concerts I attended after that. To me, Skynyrd ended in that plane crash but attending those shows felt like the next best thing at the time since I never got to see the original Lynyrd Skynyrd. I can't say I think of them as a cover band since they do record new material but so much of what they perform live is by the pre-crash version of the band I know what people mean by that. I love Rossington-Collins as well but I never got to see them either. I think they were off on the right foot with that project but it was destined to come apart at the seams.

And the band that I was in played "The Boy's are Back in Town".

Skynyrd was set to play Huntsville, Alabama, in the spring of 77, I had a ticket but it got cancelled.

So, the show, it was rescheduled for the "Street Survivors Tour".

And the rest, as they say, is history.

So I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads in '82

Right before that plane crash.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw AC/DC

With Bon Scott singing, "Let There Be Rock Tour".

With Bon Scott singing, LET THERE BE ROCK!

Lynyrd Skynyrd did have alot of remaining members, so i can understand how you felt. I just wouldn't be able to see anyone else doing the songs Ronnie sang and wrote... he was so special and as i said before, not replaceable. Same as John Bonham.

Rossington/Collins Band didn't last long, but they were great while they did! I had a thing for Gary back then anyway. I saw Molly Hatchett a couple of times... the greatest day in Southern Rock i ever attended was: The Round-up (i have mentioned this in the past)... JFK, Summer of 1981.... The Allman Brother's Band, The Outlaws, Molly Hatchett, Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels Band and .38 Special! Only missing band... Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Glad to see them continueing on.Hope to hear the new cd soon .

Here is a link to some pictures of Southern Rock Legends Jimmy Hall of Wet Willie and Louisiana Leroux.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?sh...mp;#entry350052

Southern Rock Will never Die !!!!

Hey Al did you go to the 1976 World Wide Texas Tour at Tulane Stadium? ZZ Top w/Lynyrd Skynyrd and the J Geils Band then the day of the concert they announced Skynyrd canceled

and a riot broke out. I'll never forget that day, the first last and only concert they ever held

at that stadium not counting superbowl shows.

Then the next chance I had to see the original line up was in Baton Rouge where the flight was due in from Greenville SC only to go down in Mississippi. Sad day in southern rock history. :(

I saw them in '98 and I loved it. Of course, it's nothing near to have seen the original band, but Gary, Billy and Leon was there and Hughie from The Outlaws was just as great too. How could I not love hearing On The Hunt live and it couldn't possible have sounded more like the original band, well maybe if Artie and Ed would've been on the stage too. But concidering my age and location it was the "next best thing". I don't feel the urge to see them again though, I rather live with the memories I have of that particular show.

I Need You is one of my fav Skynyrd tunes too!! It's brilliant in every way!

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive.../07/665990.aspx

Ean Evans, who joined Lynyrd Skynyrd in 2001, has died from cancer.

The band announced Evans’ passing in a message posted on LynyrdSkynyrd.com.

“It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of longtime Lynyrd Skynyrd bassist Ean Evans. Ean put up a valiant battle with an aggressive form of cancer and he will be sorely missed by family, friends and fans.”

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Al did you go to the 1976 World Wide Texas Tour at Tulane Stadium? ZZ Top w/Lynyrd Skynyrd and the J Geils Band then the day of the concert they announced Skynyrd canceled

and a riot broke out. I'll never forget that day, the first last and only concert they ever held

at that stadium not counting superbowl shows.

Then the next chance I had to see the original line up was in Baton Rouge where the flight was due in from Greenville SC only to go down in Mississippi. Sad day in southern rock history. :(

Sorry it took Me so long to answer but I have not had a lot of computer time latley staying busy .

The answer is Yes saw ZZ-Top at the Warehouse in 74 ,Tad Gormley Stadium in 75 and 76 I believe the tickets are posted either on the Southern Music thread or the Concert Stub Thread.Hope You are feeling better

Any other Southern/ Skynyrd junkies on here???

Im goin to the Skynyrd concert on May 30th in my hometown of Lexington, KY, and ITS GONNA BE SWEET.

The only thing that could be better is if Ronnie and the rest of the gang where there =(

R.I.P Ronnie Van Zant, Allen Collins, Leon Wilkenson, Steve Gains

How's it going "LednyrdZepnyrd?" When I woke up this morning, I put on the GOLD & PLATINUM 2-CD set by LYNYRD SKYNYRD. I just love this album! I love the songs "Down South Jukin," "Saturday Night Special," "Gimme Three Steps," "What's Your Name," "Gimme Back My Bullets," "Sweet Home Alabama," "Freebird," "That Smell," "Whiskey Rock-A-Roller" "Simple Man" and "Tuesday's Gone." These are all great songs that will live forever! ROCK ON!

• 1 month later...

'Freebird' ultimately unforgettable

Lynyrd Skynyrd released the song 35 years ago. Since then, it has been an anthem, a demand, an ode to personal independence and the lamest heckle in the history of rock.

Christopher Borrelli | Tribune reporter

"Man, do not write this," said Bruce Finkelman, owner of the Empty Bottle on Western Avenue. "Let that song die. It's almost dead! There's a generation out there for whom this song means nothing! They're not yelling it like they used to!"

Sorry.

Thirty-five years ago, Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd -- playing next Sunday with Kid Rock at the First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre in Tinley Park -- released the single "Freebird," and in the decades since it has been an anthem, a demand, an ode to personal independence, the lamest heckle in the history of rock. But what it has never been is forgettable -- not to the band who played it, not to the disparate acts who still get a rowdy "Freebird!" shouted at them, regardless of what they play or who they are.

"The best thing about touring Europe is no one yells 'Freebird,' " said James McNew, bass player for the indie band Yo La Tengo.

And yet, Finkelman is right -- depending whom you ask, people aren't shouting "Freebird!" like they used to. Tim Rutili, the Chicago musician who once fronted Red Red Meat and now leads Califone, said he only gets "Freebird!" shouted at him "maybe once every few years."

Which is sad, because what would going to a concert be without that one person who shouts "Freebird"?

To read the rest of the article click here.

The "Freebird" thing is interesting, because it's like it's come full circle now. The joke's gotten worn out, but now there's a whole new generation that wasn't around when the song first came, wasn't around for the advent of the joke, and now they hear the song for the first time and think it's awesome, just like when it first came out. I guess I'm one of those people. If I yelled "Freebird!" at a concert, it would be because I seriously wanted to hear it.

About the joke, though...I wouldn't take it as an insult. It's only because the song is so iconic that it's become completely overplayed and then in turn a target for a joke. If the song was never any good, people wouldn't have remembered it long enough to shout it out. It's like Stairway to Heaven - I've played that song to death and listen to it about twice a year now, but it's still an awesome song, and I wouldn't have worn it out if I didn't like it so much.

From Billboard.com:

Details On The Next Lynyrd Skynyrd Album

New record for the "Skynyrd Nation" features tributes, Rob Zombie...

Lynyrd Skynyrd will release a new studio album, God & Guns, on September 29th. Frontman Johnny Van Zant calls it "a tribute to the past and to the future of this band, too."

"The old saying is if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so we didn't step out too far," Van Zant says." "We're doing what we do and singing what we know about. I can tell you it's great and there's a lot of good stuff on there, but the fans will tell us if we did the job right. Some time in October we'll know whether we did the record that we should've done."

Rob Zombie guests on the album track "Floyd", and his guitarist John5 also helped the band out. The first single is "Still Unbroken", due later this month. Other songs include "Skynyrd Nation" and "Gifted Hands", a tribute to late keyboardist Billy Powell.

Edited by Jahfin