The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

Hey Walter, none of their albums are bad, sure one or two may be less great then their best, but I recomend checking out their whole catalog. After all, they only did five studio albums and a live album. Even the outtakes albums, such as "First And Last" and "Ledgends" are worth seeking out. I'd say you're in for a treat if you haven't heard all of their stuff.

Hey Walter, none of their albums are bad, sure one or two may be less great then their best, but I recomend checking out their whole catalog. After all, they only did five studio albums and a live album. Even the outtakes albums, such as "First And Last" and "Ledgends" are worth seeking out. I'd say you're in for a treat if you haven't heard all of their stuff.

yeahthat.gif

seconded.

Never have heard Mississippi Kid before - liking it a lot though. I will have to pick up their catalog and check out more of their stuff! I definitely dig their stripped down bluesy sound on that song.

You're in for a real treat. Most of their albums have received the deluxe treatment so I suggest going for those. I never even knew about the expanded version of Nuthin' Fancy until just a few months ago when I heard a live version of Railroad Song at one of my favorite local eateries. Hell, I didn't even know a live version of that song ever existed.

Yeah, will do. I have had their greatest hits (Gold and Platnum?) since I was a kid. Recently I picked a 3-disc compilation that has some outtakes, live versions, etc. on it at a used cd outlet. But, I should just get the entire collection - as you said there are only 5 studio albums anyway. Looking forward to it - thanks for the suggestions guys! B)

Leonard Skinner, Namesake of "Lynyrd Skynyrd," Dies

PH2010092102007.jpg

By T. Rees Shapiro

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Leonard Skinner, 77, a high school physical education teacher who was the improbable namesake of the rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, died Sept. 20 at a nursing home in Jacksonville, Fla. He had Alzheimer's disease.

In the late 1960s, Mr. Skinner was the by-the-books basketball coach and gym teacher at his alma mater, Robert E. Lee High School in Jacksonville. He had a reputation as a disciplinarian and was a stickler for personal appearance.

One day, Mr. Skinner sent a smart-aleck student named Ronnie Van Zant to the principal's office because his hair was touching his collar -- a flagrant violation of the school's dress code.

"It was against the school rules," Mr. Skinner -- who had a flattop haircut for most of his life -- told the Florida Times-Union in 2009. "I don't particularly like long hair on men, but again, it wasn't my rule."

Mr. Skinner left the high school in 1969 to become a real estate broker and bar owner and had completely forgotten about the brush with Van Zant until he got a phone call from an out-of-town friend.

Van Zant, who was later suspended from the school for other rules violations, decided to get back at his physical education teacher by renaming "One Percent," his fledgling rock band "Lynyrd Skynyrd."

Shortly after the release of their 1973 album, (pronounced leh-nerd skin-nerd), Lynyrd Skynyrd became one of the most in-demand acts of the 1970s, playing such signature hits as "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Free Bird." They played to sprawling crowds at concerts with the Confederate flag as a backdrop -- an homage to their Southern roots.

At first, Mr. Skinner later said, he was peeved at Van Zant for mangling his name and repurposing it for his band's moniker.

Mr. Skinner eventually warmed up to the rockers, and even introduced them at a homecoming concert in Jacksonville. For the group's third album, Mr. Skinner let the band print a picture of his real-estate sign on the inside cover.

For many years, he would get voice mails on his business line from curious Lynyrd Skynyrd fans seeking to speak to the real Leonard Skinner.

"He embraced it," Mr. Skinner's daughter, Susie Moore said in an interview. "As he got older, he mellowed and then he was able to embrace all types of music, really, even country."

Still, in the 2009 interview with the Times-Union, Mr. Skinner said he never developed a taste for Lynyrd Skynyrd's repertoire.

Instead, he made his musical tastes absolutely clear: "I don't like rock 'n' roll music."

He was born Forby Leonard Skinner in Jacksonville on Jan. 11, 1933.

After graduating from Robert E. Lee High School in 1951, Mr. Skinner attended Florida State University, where he was a fraternity brother of Burt Reynolds and a 1957 physical education graduate.

He spent two years in the Army but hated it, his daughter said, because he had to wait in line to get food in the mess hall.

He owned and operated a bar called The Still in Jacksonville, to which he later added his name after the band's surge in popularity. He sold it in the mid-1980s. It is now a topless bar.

On Oct. 20, 1977, Lynyrd Skynyrd's private plane crashed near McComb, Miss. Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and four others were killed, and other band members were severely injured.

In an interview after the crash, Mr. Skinner expressed remorse about the death of onetime troublemaker Van Zant.

"They were good, talented, hardworking boys," Mr. Skinner said in 1977. "They worked hard, lived hard, and boozed hard."

Besides his daughter, of Jacksonville, survivors include his wife of 54 years, Rosemary Jones Skinner of Jacksonville; a son, Leonard S. Skinner of Jacksonville; and two grandsons.

Just like with Bonham's early and untimely death, its a damn shame. Just think of what more they could have accomplished. They were way ahead of their time. And should get as much print and praise as others including Hendrix, who in my opinion, gets too much.

Who are you referring to?

I am not referring to a particular individual. I am only saying that they should get as much ink as other great artists that died tragically. Thats all.

I ask only because you didn't reference any name at all (individual or otherwise). I can only guess you mean Lynyrd Skynyrd. If so, is that correct?

• 5 weeks later...

It didn't dawn on me until just a few moments ago that today marks 33 years since Skynyrd's plane crashed into that Mississippi swamp on October 20, 1977. I can still remember hearing the news from my Dad on the way to school that day. He mistakenly thought it might it be Led Zeppelin (all he could remember from the TV newscast he'd seen is that they were "dressed funny"). It wasn't until I got to school that morning that I learned it was Lynyrd Skynyrd. I had just purchased their latest album at the time, Street Survivors, and was looking forward to seeing them in concert for the very first time when their Tour of the Surviors tour hit North Carolina. Sadly, history took it's course and I never had that chance. Hard to believe that almost all of them are gone now.

A brief candle, both ends burning

An endless mile, a bus wheel turning

A friend to share the lonesome times

A handshake and a sip of wine

Say it loud and let it ring

That we're all part of everything

The present, the future and the past

Fly on proud bird, you're free at last

- Charlie Daniels

Unfortunately to some Skynyrd have become a punchline and the term "Southern Rock" is often scoffed at but for all too short a time, they reigned supreme only to be taken down in their prime. They're one group from my youth I will never, ever forget. Thankfully, a band came along back in the late 90s that "got" Skynyrd in the same way that I did. This band was Drive-By Truckers and their Southern Rock Opera went a long ways towards restoring their image. A few years back, after being denied at least nine times, Skynyrd were finally inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. That night, many of them who hadn't shared a stage together in many years, performed together once again. That's another moment in rock n' roll history I won't soon forget.

Looking out the window, the trees are getting closer it seems.

Thinking bout you darlin'

Adding up the cost of these dreams.

Strapped to this projectile, just a blink ago I was back in school.

Smoking by the gym door, practicing my rock-star attitude

And I'm scared shitless of what's coming next.

I'm scared shitless, these angels I see in the trees are waiting for me.

The engines have stopped now. We all know we are going down. Last call for alcohol.

Sure wish I could have another round.

And I'm scared shitless of what's coming next.

Scared shitless, these angels I see in the trees are waiting for me.

Waiting for me.

Friends in the swamp.

Friends on the ground, in the trees.

Angels and fuselage.

"Angels & Fuselage" by Drive-By Truckers from Southern Rock Opera

Edited by Jahfin

^^^ Awesome post, Jahfin ^^^

Definitely hard to believe it's been that long.

I'd heard of Southern Rock Opera before, but I need to check it out.

Thanks!

It's well worth it. I pretty much lived that entire album, especially this song, Let There Be Rock:

Dropped acid, Blue Oyster Cult concert, fourteen years old,

And I thought them lasers were a spider chasing me.

On my way home, got pulled over in Rogersville Alabama, with a half-ounce of weed and a case of Sterling Big Mouth.

My buddy Gene was driving, he just barely turned sixteen.

And I'd like to say, "I'm sorry", but we lived to tell about it

And we lived to do a whole lot more crazy, stupid, shit.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet

With .38 Special and the Johnny Van Zant Band.

One night when I was seventeen, I drank a fifth of vodka, on an empty stomach, then drove over to a friend's house. And I backed my car between his parent's Cadillac's without a scratch.

Then I crawled to the back door and slithered threw the mail hole, and sneaked up the stairs

And puked in the toilet.

I passed out and nearly drowned but his sister, DD, pulled me out.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet

And the band that I was in played "The Boy's are Back in Town".

Skynyrd was set to play Huntsville, Alabama, in the spring of '77, I had a ticket but it got cancelled.

So, the show, it was rescheduled for the "Street Survivors Tour".

And the rest, as they say, is history.

So I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads in '82

Right before that plane crash.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw AC/DC

With Bon Scott singing, "Let There Be Rock Tour".

With Bon Scott singing, LET THERE BE ROCK!

• 7 months later...

As if their legacy hasn't been cheapened enough by the survivor(s) touring long past their expiration date, news has surfaced of a "Lynyrd Skynyrd BBQ & Beer" joint in Las Vegas. With Rod Stewart set to begin a two year residency at Ceasars Palace in August it looks like Las Vegas is gearing up to be the Branson of rock n' roll.

"Southern Rock Opera" by Drive-By Truckers is tremendous. Great band, great playing and great writing with a story to be told as Jahfin said.

Trust me, I am NOT a "southern rock" kinda guy either. Never was, never will be either but this particular album is in a class by itself.

"Southern Rock" in the sense of Molly Hatchet, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blackfoot, etc. doesn't even really exist anymore but the Truckers definitely helped remove a lot of the negative connotations surrounding the genre as well as Skynyrd (the Ronnie Van Zant version) themselves via Southern Rock Opera. A lot of critics seem to lump them in with Southern Rock and Skynyrd but if that's all they got out of Southern Rock Opera then they weren't really paying attention. Their latest record (Go-Go Boots) is a very heartfelt paen to "the Muscle Shoals Sound", especially through tracks such as "Everybody Needs Love" which was penned by the late Eddie Hinton. I'm forever grateful to them for opening my eyes (and ears) to Hinton and all of the other great unsung artists that sprang forth from the Shoals over the years. Former member Jason Isbell has also done a lot to turn folks onto the music out of that area.

I'd love to go to this but it probably won't be in the cards this summer. Someday I do hope to see them on their home turf though. By the way, The Decoys is Patterson Hood's dad's band. David Hood is one of the many Muscle Shoals session musicians they've championed in their music over the years.

247390_10150268543616418_328616341417_9186962_6184313_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've heard silly things said about Southern Rock, but in REALITY, this song tells it like it is about what the South is all about :):):):)

Oh. Now when you think the time's ___

Take a look around

'Cause babies are dying from disease

Sleeping out on the ground

People never seen the tortured eyes

From a foreign land. No

When you see somebody who's down and out

Lend a helpin' hand

You better, lend a helpin' hand. If you can

Lend a helpin' hand

Do it if you can

Oh. Every time you feed your face

Do you bow your head

Hunger kills each and every day

Won't you share your bread

If you've ever felt the pain inside

I know you'd understand

Lend a helpin' hand

You better, lend a helpin' hand. If you can

Lend a helpin' hand

Do it if you can

Oh. Every time you feed that face

Do you look around

For somebody right in your own neighborhood

Sleepin out on the ground

And do some down south jukin'

If you've ever felt the pain inside

I know you'd understand

Lend a helpin' hand

Why don't you, lend a helpin' hand. If you can

Lend a helpin' hand

Won't you please lend a helpin' hand

superd1104177.jpg

By blackglove at 2011-07-02

lynyrdskynyrdsweethomea.jpg

By blackglove at 2011-07-02

Edited by spidersandsnakes

• 1 month later...

Saw this import (which was released back in May) at Offbeat Music in Durham, NC yesterday. It's got some pretty intriguing selections to say the least. For more info on the album from the Soul Jazz Records label website, click on the image below.

61dm9qCDB9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1. Lynyrd Skynyrd — The Seasons

2. Barefoot Jerry — Smokies

3. Joe South — Hush

4. Bobbie Gentry — Papa Won't You Let Me Go To Town

5. Area Code 615 — Stone Fox Chase

6. Duane And Greg Allman — God Rest His Soul

7. Cher — I Walk On Guilded Splinters

8. Cowboy — Please Be With Me

9. The Allman Brothers — Ain't Wasting No Time

10. Link Wray — Be What You Want To

11. Boz Scaggs — I'll Be Long Gone

12. Lynyrd Skynyrd — Comin' Home

13. Bobbie Gentry — Seasons Come, Seasons Go

14. Leon Russell — Out In The Woods

15. Tony Joe White — Polk Salad Annie

16. Barefoot Jerry — Come To Me Tonight

17. Duane And Greg Allman — Morning Dew

18. Dan Penn — If Love Was Money

19. Linda Ronstadt — I Won't Be Hangin' Round

20. Waylon Jennings — Big D

21. Big Star — Thirteen

22. Bobbie Gentry — Mississippi Delta

23. Travis Wammack — I Forgot To Remember To Forget

24. Johnny Cash — If I Were A Carpenter

25. Billy Vera — I'm Leaving Here Tomorrow, Mama

J, a review after a few listens? :)

Love to but I didn't actually purchase it, I just saw it on sale. They had a great selection of stuff but the only thing I walked out of there with was a used copy of the Nuge's Free-For-All remaster.