The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

I must have always been misinformed as I thought Gaines played the slide guitar on "Free Bird"?? Guess not. Just imagine what they may have accomplished if not for one terrible day.

Steve Gaines was not in the original lineup of Lynyrd Skynryd. He joined after Ed King left in '76 or so and joined after LS's fourth album '76-'77 sometime. His sister was a backup singer, Cassie, and it was quite the surprise for them to go through auditions and then "discover" Steve, her brother.

Freebird preceeded Gaines by about 4 years.

Steve Gaines was not in the original lineup of Lynyrd Skynryd. He joined after Ed King left in '76 or so and joined after LS's fourth album '76-'77 sometime. His sister was a backup singer, Cassie, and it was quite the surprise for them to go through auditions and then "discover" Steve, her brother.

Freebird preceeded Gaines by about 4 years.

I think they were referring to the live version of Freebird from One More From the Road.

AC/DC with Brian Johnson and Van Halen with Sammy Hagar were both more successful commercially with those line ups but I'll take AC/DC with Bon Scott and Van Halen with David Lee Roth over those line ups any day of the week.

I agree with the latter, but I'm one of the few people (that I know anyways) that prefers Johnson to Scott.

Call me crazy, but I think he had a much better voice suited for that band.

Marshall Tucker Band will be playing in my area soon. Wonder how they are now? Or how many original members that are left???

I've heard they're still good live but the only original member left is the lead singer. They were through my neck of the woods a year or so ago but I wasn't about to fork over 30 bucks to see a shadow of what once was.

AC/DC with Brian Johnson and Van Halen with Sammy Hagar were both more successful commercially with those line ups but I'll take AC/DC with Bon Scott and Van Halen with David Lee Roth over those line ups any day of the week.

Ditto! :)

F**k, I have to post another song, these guys deserve all the attention they can get. Bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top has influenced them a great deal. They have recorded a cool version of Workin For MCA, but I cannot find it on youtube. It was released on the record Respect The Rock America back in the late 90's.

In the absense of the Workin' On MCA version: This one is with some great guitar jamming, and again, the excellent double leads.. (BTW, this track and the one in my previous post was recorded and sent on national TV in Sweden, great sound and pic).

Just saw the Marshall Tucker band in concert. Original lead singer Doun Gray was quite "lit" on something other than beer as he put it. Chris Hicks was good on guitar (played with the Outlaws before). But David Muse was incredible on Flute and Sax. Fabulous!! Played "Heard it in a Love song", "Take the Highway", "Fire on the Mountain", and of course "Cant you See?".

I did not make it this year but if there still playing next year I am sure I will make a show.There is not many bands as good as they were in the 70's but they keep on trying. Remmeber Support Southern Rock it needs us and We need it.

I did not make it this year but if there still playing next year I am sure I will make a show.There is not many bands as good as they were in the 70's but they keep on trying. Remmeber Support Southern Rock it needs us and We need it.

I love Skynyrd but with all due respect the post-crash version doesn't even come close to holding a candle to the original (pre-crash) lineup of the band. The Allmans on the other hand are still just as vital as they've ever been thanks in no small part to Derek Trucks.