What's Everyone Listening To?

Jahfin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I usually don't fall for the remaster/remix nonsense of classic rock albums but I make the exception when it comes to Layla and Other Love Songs. The deluxe version is now my..........fifth CD copy?

Not to mention Johnny Cash was cool as hell and his variety show was pretty epic. It didn't last that long but good network shows never do, then or now.

Edited by dazedcat

I usually don't fall for the remaster/remix nonsense of classic rock albums but I make the exception when it comes to Layla and Other Love Songs. The deluxe version is now my..........fifth CD copy?

I think many of them actually are worth it, especially when there's previously unreleased material and the quality of the recordings has been improved upon. This is true in a lot of cases since when CDs were new a lot of record companies just rushed them out in order to capitalize on the new format. I've always had an eye on the Layla box. Between that and the new deluxe edition which one would you recommend?

Not to mention Johnny Cash was cool as hell and his variety show was pretty epic. It didn't last that long but good network shows never do, then or now.

I bought the deluxe edition of that DVD when it first came out. Lots of great performances on there plus it shows just how open Johnny Cash was when it came to other forms of music, especially rock n' roll.

I'm in a minority but I really loved the 20th Anniversary three CD box set which is still available. The remix brought out a lot of things not previously heard but most don't care for that. This latest 40th Anniversary reissue is really good though, it's clean and very true to the original LP but without the muddy sound that the original album had. The bonus tracks found on this are also really good especially the tunes from their failed second album. Those were on the Clapton box set from the late 80's, these are the same tunes but sound much better.

I'd suggest this latest two CD set really, it's not expensive and it's very well done.

I'm in a minority but I really loved the 20th Anniversary three CD box set which is still available. The remix brought out a lot of things not previously heard but most don't care for that. This latest 40th Anniversary reissue is really good though, it's clean and very true to the original LP but without the muddy sound that the original album had. The bonus tracks found on this are also really good especially the tunes from their failed second album. Those were on the Clapton box set from the late 80's, these are the same tunes but sound much better.

I'd suggest this latest two CD set really, it's not expensive and it's very well done.

Thanks, one thing that put me off of the box set was all of the various takes of the same song. Interesting as they may be I think they wouldn't hold up well to repeated listenings. That's one reason I've never purchased the much heralded Robert Johnson box.

Love this guy! "I Do Love You" is probably my favorite song from him, but all his stuff is great. Shame he died so young.

Me: listening to Blondie's "Rapture" right now, in honor of doomsday tomorrow at 6pm (eastern standard time? They don't say). Anyway, be there or be square.

• 1 month later...