What's Everyone Listening To?

Jahfin

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I do. Never cared much for "Jackie Blue" (which was probably their biggest hit) but I do like the rest of their stuff. Gazing through the selections on my iPod tends to make me think of all the stuff I don't have so I recently ordered some vintage Ozark Mountain Daredevils to add to the collection. Speaking of which, have you seen the documentary Dancing Outlaw? If not, they put "If You Wanna Get To Heaven" to great use in the opening sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0h3a7MmMss

Now Playing:

g18040zb24v.jpg

The first solo record from the Gourds' Jimmy Smith. It's pretty much a Gourds album since all of them play on it, it's just that Jimmy sings lead on all of the songs.

Yes, I do. Never cared much for "Jackie Blue" (which was probably their biggest hit) but I do like the rest of their stuff. Gazing through the selections on my iPod tends to make me think of all the stuff I don't have so I recently ordered some vintage Ozark Mountain Daredevils to add to the collection. Speaking of which, have you seen the documentary Dancing Outlaw? If not, they put "If You Wanna Get To Heaven" to great use in the opening sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0h3a7MmMss

Now Playing:

g18040zb24v.jpg

The first solo record from the Gourds' Jimmy Smith. It's pretty much a Gourds album since all of them play on it, it's just that Jimmy sings lead on all of the songs.

Awesone, didn't know there was documntary - i remember listening this on cheap plastic turn table for hours as kid in my room! just heard it again on statelitte radio today. It's almost hard to believe Jackie Blue was from same band.

Awesone, didn't know there was documntary - i remember listening this on cheap plastic turn table for hours as kid in my room! just heard it again on statelitte radio today. It's almost hard to believe Jackie Blue was from same band.

The documentary is not about the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, it's about Jesco White, "If You Wanna Get To Heaven" is just used in the opening sequence. Yep, never really cared all that much for "Jackie Blue" but the radio was filled with those kind of songs back then. By the same token, I never really cared for "Wildfire" by Michael Murphy either but it was in no way indicative of his entire oeuvre. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Bobby Bare, Jr. but he's done an EP of covers from America and Bread called American Bread that at least makes those kinds of tunes somewhat listenable. I know all those bands were pretty much inescapable on AM radio back in the 70s.

I'm listening to an artist I've enjoyed since the seventies, Michael Franks. Very jazzy, super mellow and perfect for a Sunday morning. ;) Is anyone here familiar with his music?

Only vaguely, I remember Jimmy Buffett mentioning him once in reference to some of the artists he likes to listen to.

Archived