What's Everyone Listening To?

Jahfin

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, this is out of print on CD and from what I understand, is unlikely to ever see the light of day on compact disc. Thankfully, I have it on vinyl. It's certainly one of Mike's best.

Jahfin, I was curious and took a listen to the tracks from the CD off his website. He can certainly play a guitar and has a dedicated following it seems to me. It looked like you could order the CD directly off the site, but Rock and Rye and Child Prodigy are the only two not available on CD anymore. I wonder why? The record label GHE it was recorded under I can't find any info on, as though it never existed, unlike Sugar Hill the more recent label for him. Interesting.

I stumbled onto this nice piece by David Crosby. It's really stuck in my head now, Tamalpais High.

Jahfin, I was curious and took a listen to the tracks from the CD off his website. He can certainly play a guitar and has a dedicated following it seems to me. It looked like you could order the CD directly off the site, but Rock and Rye and Child Prodigy are the only two not available on CD anymore. I wonder why? The record label GHE it was recorded under I can't find any info on, as though it never existed, unlike Sugar Hill the more recent label for him. Interesting.

From what I understand, it's some sort of legal matter where Mike Cross no longer owns the rights to the masters (at least for Rock n' Rye and maybe even for Child Prodigy) and the label refuses to release them to him. I'm just venturing a guess here but I would imagine to get the rights back, it would take a whole lot of money to do so. Again, just a guess. As for Mike himself, he's pretty much considered a legend in some circles, not the least of which is in North Carolina (though he's also pretty well known outside of here). Back in the late 70s and early 80s his music got a lot of airplay on WQDR out of Raleigh. This was a time when local and regional artists got played on the radio (which is hard to even imagine now). Thanks to WQDR, I got turned onto artists like Mike, the dB's, Let's Active, Arrogance, R.E.M., Marti Jones, Don Dixon, the Spongetones, the Fabulous Knobs, Glass Moon and lots of others. Don Dixon produced and played on several of Mike's records. As you may be aware, Don went onto produce the first couple of R.E.M. albums (along with Mitch Easter of Let's Active, who also produced R.E.M.'s Chronic Town EP) as well as albums by the Smithereens (Especially for You), Hootie and the Blowfish, the Connells, Guadalcanal Diary and lots of other artists. Mike Cross flirted with mainstream fame early on, even appearing on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour way back when. There used to be a clip of his performance on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour on YouTube but I can't seem to find it now.

512VuT9AHBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg413FXqAB9PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg61yGq0MjZCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Two of my very favorite albums of 2011. Also looking forward to seeing them on the same bill in Durham in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking that show is going to be off of the fucking hook. As for Here We Rest, even though I bought the album way back in November when I saw Isbell and James McMurtry in concert, this is the first time I've actually listened to it.

Count Zero from Boston, "Never be yourself"

I know the singer and the guitar player from their time in the cult group Think Tree (anybody here ever heard of them?)

This album is beautiful, strange and melodic and worth more than one listening session if you like really good alternative music.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived