Bonzo and Tim Rose

We know that Bonzo played and toured with Tim Rose in 1968, before joining the New Yardbirds. My question is: Are there any recordings of this? Or has anyone got the tourdates where Bonzo played with Rose? I'm interested in any information about Bonzo and Tim Rose. I know that before he joined, the Band of Joy opened for Tim Rose.

Thanks for any infos!

In May 1968, Robert Plant disbanded The Band of Joy so John Bonham teamed up with bassist Dave Pegg to back Tim Rose on a full UK Tour for 40 pounds a week wages. I

show the following dates, cities and venues confirmed but undoubtedly there are others:

June 28 1966 Hastings, England (Venue unconfirmed)

July 14 1968 (Sun) London, England Blaises

July 16 1968 (Tue) London, England Marquee

July 30 1968 (Tue) Wood Green, London, England Fishmongers Arms 287 High Road

July 31 1968 (Wed) Hampstead, London, England Country Club 210-A Haverstock Hill

On Robert Plant's advice, Page, Peter Grant, and bassist Chris Dreja met with John at the Country Club in Hampstead and watched him perform. John went on to tour briefly with Chris Farlowe before joining Robert in The New Yardbirds.

Thanks a lot SteveAJones. I searched for Rose and Bonzo with google, but couldn't find any detail.

Unfortunately, google and the internet in general is not very helpful for researching the

pre-Zeppelin recording and performance history of Plant and Bonham. Only persistent,

painstaking research of newspaper archives and collaboration with others ever seems

to bring these details to light.

I won't open a new thread, so i ask in this.

Does anyone know on which songs of Roy Woods CD "on the road again" from 1979 Bonzo plays? Maybe all?? Does anybody own the CD? Can't find any samples of the CD. Perhaps I'll buy it if anybody recommends it.

Roy Wood - On The Road Again

Label - Warner Bros.

Cat. No. - WB 56 591

Released - 1979

Track / Title

Side 1

1 - (We're) On The Road Again

2 - Wings Over The Sea

3 - Keep Your Hands On The Wheel

4 - Colourful Lady

5 - Road Rocket

Side 2

1 - Backtown Sinner

2 - Jimmy Lad

3 - Dancin' At The Rainbow's End

4 - Another Night

5 - Way Beyond The Rain

Credits:

Roy Wood : vocals, drums, saxes, celli, electric bass,

electric guitars, percussion, acoustic guitars, bongos,

sitar, slide guitar, mandolin, tuba, vibes, bagpipes,

recorders, clarinet, violin, bass clarinet, string bass,

military percussion.

Plus Rock Brigade : Paul Robbins, Pete Mackie,

Billy Paul, Dave Donovan, Charlie Grima.

John Bonham drums on Keep Your Hands On The Wheel.

Annie Haslam, Andy Fairweather-Low, Carl Wayne,

Dick Plant : Guest backing vocals

Production details:

Produced by Roy Wood

Recorded at: Rockfield Studios (Monmouth),

D.J.M. (London), Utopia Studios (London),

The Music Centre (Wembley), Air (London),

Lee Sound Studios (Pelsall).

Sleeve design: Seabrook Graves Aslett.

Sleeve Illustration: Bob Norrington

Song writing credits:

All songs written and arranged by Roy Wood

We would like to thank Mo Ostin and Nick Mobbs for

joining forces.

Also Richard Battle, Colin Newman, Rick Price and

Chrissie Harwood for helping to organise everything.

Love and thanks to Sue and Deana for the food.

An extra thankyou to Wombourne Police Dept. for tracking

down our stolen equipment

Annie Haslam, Andy Fairweather-Low, Carl Wayne,

Dick Plant : Guest backing vocals

I was going to suggest that this might be Plant in disguise, but it turns out that there really was a "Dick Plant" who worked with Roy Wood.

Nonetheless, Plant did attend these sessions with Bonzo.

Edited by swandown

• 3 months later...
In May 1968, Robert Plant disbanded The Band of Joy so John Bonham teamed up with bassist Dave Pegg to back Tim Rose on a full UK Tour for 40 pounds a week wages. I

show the following dates, cities and venues confirmed but undoubtedly there are others:

June 28 1966 ??? Hastings, England (Venue unconfirmed)

July 31 1968 (Wed) Hampstead, London, England Country Club 210-A Haverstock Hill

On Robert Plant's advice, Page, Peter Grant, and bassist Chris Dreja met with John at the Country Club in Hampstead and watched him perform. John went on to tour briefly with Chris Farlowe before joining Robert in The New Yardbirds.

As it is written in the book "Bonham- the Powerhouse behind..." Steve Dolan was the bass player on that tour. Sadly, there are no recordings of Bonzo with Tim Rose. Their set contained the numbers:

-Morning Dew

-Long Time Man

-Hey Joe

-Hello Sunshine

-Foggy Mountain Breakdown (w. drum/bass solo)

The only song i know from this is "Hey Joe"....

As it is written in the book "Bonham- the Powerhouse behind..." Steve Dolan was the bass player on that tour. Sadly, there are no recordings of Bonzo with Tim Rose. Their set contained the numbers:

-Morning Dew

-Long Time Man

-Hey Joe

-Hello Sunshine

-Foggy Mountain Breakdown (w. drum/bass solo)

The only song i know from this is "Hey Joe"....

Morning Dew is best remembered as a track from the Jeff Beck Group sung by Rod Stewart (quite good!), and as a longtime staple in the Grateful Dead's repertoir.

Foggy Mountain Breakdown is a bluegrass staple from the catalog of Flatt and Scruggs.

Kinda gives you an idea of the style Rose was working in. ;)

The manager for Tim Rose was a guy called Jack Beale and his booking agent was Terry King. During his tour in the UK Tim Rose was based in a serviced apartment at Eaton Place.

Steve here are more dates which can be confirmed with NME and Melody Maker reports:

May 4 1968 (Sat) Boston Tea Party

June 1968: Rose returns to the UK after earlier Feb-March 68 tour.

June 29 1968 (Sat) Sheffield, Students Union

July 1 1968 (Mon) Radio session - BBC1 "Top Gear" with John Peel (songs recorded include "Roanoke", "Foggy Mountain Breakdown (On Rye With Mustard)", "I Guess It's Over", "Long Haired Boy"), later broadcast on August 11.

July 2 1968 (Tue) Bournemouth, Ritz Ballroom

July 4 1968 (Thu) London, Royal Festival Hall

July 5 1968 (Fri) Hemel Hampstead, The Pavilion

July 6 1968 (Sat) Ramsey, Gaiety Ballroom

July 7 1968 (Sun 7pm) Woburn Abbey Pop Festival

July 8 - 13 1968: Proposed short tour to Yugoslavia is cancelled.

July 15 1968 (Mon) Wolverhampton - venue unconfirmed

July 18 1968 (Thu) Liverpool - venue unconfirmed

July 19 1968 (Fri) Grimsby, Grimsby Jazz Club

July 20 1968 (Sat afternoon show) Beckenham, Mistral Club

July 20 1968 (Sat evening show) London, Middle Earth

July 21 1968 (Sun) Nottingham, Union Club

July 23 1968 (Tue) Spain, Majorca (cancelled)

A few days after Bonham left Tim Rose on the 31st, Rose postponed his tour until he could audition another drummer, this turned out to be a Brummie called Les Marshall. Marshall had heard there was going to be a vacancy for the drumming spot after visiting music store Drumland in Birmingham and being tipped off by store manager Mike Evans, who had previosuly chatted with Bonham. Incidently, Drumland sold Bonham his first Ludwig kit.

After the 31st, returns:

August 11 1968 (Sun) Sunbury, 8th National Jazz and Blues Festival.

August 16 1968 (Fri) London, Marquee (Tim Rose's final tour show).

Returns to the US.

August 23 1968 (Fri) "The New York Rock Festival", Singer Bowl, Flushing Meadows Park, Queens. Playing at this festival Jimi Hendrix dedicated "Hey Joe" to Tim Rose.

August 31 1968 (Sat) TV appearance - Germany, Beat Club performance "Long Haired Boy"

Unconfirmed Tim Rose tour dates:

Bristol, Colston Hall

Birmingham, Mothers

Klooks Kleek

Rasputins

The Temple

London, Hatchett's

At the 8th National Jazz and Blues Festival staged in Sunbury, Middlesex (9th-11th August), Joe Cocker was scheduled to appear. I have yet to confirm if Bonham played with Cocker on this date.

Also after joining Led Zeppelin, Bonham was scheduled to appear with Chris Farlowe at the Droitwich, Worcester-Bank Holiday Bluesology Festival, on the 1st-2nd September. Grant got on the phone to the promoter and put a stop to Bonham's appearance.

Meg

June 28 1966 Hastings, England (Venue unconfirmed)

Morning Dew is best remembered as a track from the Jeff Beck Group sung by Rod Stewart (quite good!), and as a longtime staple in the Grateful Dead's repertoir.

Foggy Mountain Breakdown is a bluegrass staple from the catalog of Flatt and Scruggs.

Kinda gives you an idea of the style Rose was working in. ;)

Wow Ev I never knew Morning Dew was also a staple in Jeff Beck's group :o Very cool. I'm embarrassed not to have heard it being a big Beck fan. I must seek this out!

July 1 1968 (Mon) Radio session - BBC1 "Top Gear" with John Peel (songs recorded include "Roanoke", "Foggy Mountain Breakdown (On Rye With Mustard)", "I Guess It's Over", "Long Haired Boy"), later broadcast on August 11.

The BBC website says that the drummer on this session was Dougie Wright. However, I found another database that lists another BBC session in July 1968, consisting of "Dim Light", "I Got A Loneliness" and "Long Haired Boy". Rose also made an appearance on Germany's "Beat Club" TV program, but I think that was after Bonham left the band.

The BBC website says that the drummer on this session was Dougie Wright. However, I found another database that lists another BBC session in July 1968, consisting of "Dim Light", "I Got A Loneliness" and "Long Haired Boy". Rose also made an appearance on Germany's "Beat Club" TV program, but I think that was after Bonham left the band.

Yes you are correct. My list was a compliation of all known Tim Rose dates on his UK tour with or without Bonham. As far as I'ev seen the sources, Bonham didn't join until the 4th. He had rehearsals with Rose on the 3rd. The Beat club appearance is listed as being on August 31st. I've read somewhere that he showed in Germany on the 30th and that the show on the 31st was in fact pre-recorded. John Bonham wasn't on drums for that. Les Marshall had long replaced him after the 31st July.

Wow Ev I never knew Morning Dew was also a staple in Jeff Beck's group :o Very cool. I'm embarrassed not to have heard it being a big Beck fan. I must seek this out!

Hey Nine! Yeah, it's on Truth, the same album that featured You Shook Me and came out within weeks of Zep I. Also has Shapes of Things and I Ain't Superstitious. A must have! I'd burn you a copy.

If I had it. :bagoverhead:

Hey Nine! Yeah, it's on Truth, the same album that featured You Shook Me and came out within weeks of Zep I. Also has Shapes of Things and I Ain't Superstitious. A must have! I'd burn you a copy.

If I had it. :bagoverhead:

That's one I don't have but I believe my brother does so I shall seek it out. And then send YOU a copy :D

Additions to the list:

In order of performance: 1) Intro by Tim Rose 2) "I Guess It's Over" 3) "Long Haired Boy" 4) "Roanoke" 5) "Foggy Mountain Breakdown (On Rye With Mustard)". The recording was first broadcast in full on July 7 and as part of a highlights show on August 11. Producer was Bernie Andrews and the recording took place at 201 Piccadilly, Studio 1. Lineup: Tim Rose (Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Roger Coulam (Organ), Alan Weighall (Bass), Dougie Wright (Drums). The Kinks were also recorded for the show, on July 1st.

Due to the number of artists appearing on the evening bill Rose's slot at this festival was brief. Two songs he is known to have performed include:

"I Got a Loneliness"

"Long Time Man"

The performance was believed to have been professionally filmed although no tapes have as yet surfaced since.

August 3 1968 edition of Melody Maker reports Tim Rose has postponed his American tour from August to now November.

In September 1968, Tim Rose is asked to contribute songs to an album of recited poetry for John Peel. Nothing came of the project.

Additional date:

September 29 1968 (Sat) Manchester, The Magic Village

More information to follow when I get through the pile of old newspapers.

Meg

The manager for Tim Rose was a guy called Jack Beale and his booking agent was Terry King. During his tour in the UK Tim Rose was based in a serviced apartment at Eaton Place.

Steve here are more dates which can be confirmed with NME and Melody Maker reports:

May 4 1968 (Sat) Boston Tea Party

June 1968: Rose returns to the UK after earlier Feb-March 68 tour.

June 29 1968 (Sat) Sheffield, Students Union

July 2 1968 (Tue) Bournemouth, Ritz Ballroom

July 4 1968 (Thu) London, Royal Festival Hall

July 5 1968 (Fri) Hemel Hampstead, The Pavilion

July 6 1968 (Sat) Ramsey, Gaiety Ballroom

July 15 1968 (Mon) Wolverhampton - venue unconfirmed

July 18 1968 (Thu) Liverpool - venue unconfirmed

July 19 1968 (Fri) Grimsby, Grimsby Jazz Club

July 20 1968 (Sat afternoon show) Beckenham, Mistral Club

July 20 1968 (Sat evening show) London, Middle Earth

July 21 1968 (Sun) Nottingham, Union Club

Thanks meg. So, can we say that these are all dates with Rose?? And if I'm right, he just played with him in July 1968???

Edited by the-ocean87

Thanks meg. So, can we say that these are all dates with Rose?? And if I'm right, he just played with him in July 1968???

He may have played with Rose in June, but the BBC session seems to be an oddity. Maybe Bonham just wasn't available on that particular date. While papers advertise the gig they don't show who is in the band. That's something we're going to have to do more detective work over. I'm fairly certain the latter July dates are definitely Bonham. The funny thing is not even many Tim Rose fans have any ideas on those 68 dates.

Meg

He may have played with Rose in June, but the BBC session seems to be an oddity. Maybe Bonham just wasn't available on that particular date. While papers advertise the gig they don't show who is in the band. That's something we're going to have to do more detective work over. I'm fairly certain the latter July dates are definitely Bonham. The funny thing is not even many Tim Rose fans have any ideas on those 68 dates.

Meg

Also from the book, John Bonham the Powerhouse Behind Led Zeppelin, John's brother Mick writes......John toured the UK with Tim Rose. He joined the band in June 1968.

He doesn't go into any further detail about the exact date in June 68 that Bonzo joined up.

Also from the book, John Bonham the Powerhouse Behind Led Zeppelin, John's brother Mick writes......John toured the UK with Tim Rose. He joined the band in June 1968.

He doesn't go into any further detail about the exact date in June 68 that Bonzo joined up.

That's correct, but no-one has been able to say when in June. I'd love to see further details on specific dates. And in that book Mick Bonham claims the bass player was Steve Dolan as opposed to Chris Welch's book which says it was Dave Pegg.

Meg

After looking closer in the book, John Bonham the Powerhouse.......Mick has a small section in the book about talking with Tim Rose about his recollections. They are as follows:

Tim Rose

"I had been using a very fine drummer by the name of Aynsley Dunbar, who had learnt his trade with The Mojos, Jeff Beck and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, when I toured the UK prior to meeting John. Aynsley was unavailable for the 1968 tour, but I remembered seeing a drummer playing with the Band of Joy and thinking, "I want him". I eventually found John and offered him the job, paying about 40 pounds per week."

Further on Mick Bonham writes, The line up for Tim's band featured Steve Dolan on bass, John on drums and Tim on guitar and vocals. With only a short while before the tour was due to start, the band got down to the business of rehearsing. Further on in the same paragraph Mick writes, Once the set was up to scratch the tour started in June 1968 and the set drew some good reviews.

Hope this helps answer the question about whether Bonzo was playing with Tim in June.