Bonzo and Tim Rose

That's correct, but no-one has been able to say when in June. I'd love to see further details on specific dates. And in that book Mick Bonham claims the bass player was Steve Dolan as opposed to Chris Welch's book which says it was Dave Pegg.

Meg

Correction to typo in post #3:

Hastings 6/28/68 according to 'Led Zeppelin: A Celebration' (earliest in June so far)

Note they apparently made a very long trek up to Sheffield the next day, leading me

to speculate this was among the first dates, if not the opening night of the tour.

Edited by SteveAJones

And in that book Mick Bonham claims the bass player was Steve Dolan as opposed to Chris Welch's book which says it was Dave Pegg.

Meg

Regarding the bass player, again from Mick Bonhams book, a review from Tony Wilson of the Melody Maker:

"If anyone comes close to the rather vague definition "Folk Rock" it must be Tim Rose. Powerful singing backed by his own electric, augmented by bass and drums on folk based numbers such as "Morning Dew", "Long Time Man" and "Hey Joe" provided a stirring session at Blaises in London last Sunday. These heavy, soulful numbers were balanced by lighter songs such as "Hello Sunshine" and a five string banjo number "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" which gave a chance for drummer John Bonham and bass guitar Steve Dolan to take solos."

Hope this helps.

Regarding the bass player, again from Mick Bonhams book, a review from Tony Wilson of the Melody Maker:

"If anyone comes close to the rather vague definition "Folk Rock" it must be Tim Rose. Powerful singing backed by his own electric, augmented by bass and drums on folk based numbers such as "Morning Dew", "Long Time Man" and "Hey Joe" provided a stirring session at Blaises in London last Sunday. These heavy, soulful numbers were balanced by lighter songs such as "Hello Sunshine" and a five string banjo number "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" which gave a chance for drummer John Bonham and bass guitar Steve Dolan to take solos."

Hope this helps.

Is there no evidence to suggest Pegg played bass on this tour, aside from a brief

mention in A Thunder of Drums?

Edited by SteveAJones

Unconfirmed Tim Rose tour dates:

Bristol, Colston Hall

Birmingham, Mothers

Klooks Kleek

Rasputins

The Temple

London, Hatchett's

Just checking through Brum Beat magazine again, it appears most of the above dates are in August 1968 with Les Marshall on drums, with the exception of the Hatchett's appearance, which means we probably have most of the possible Bonham dates listed.

Is there no evidence to suggest Pegg played bass on this tour, aside from a brief

Steve,

If you are asking about any evidence about Pegg playing bass in Mick Bonham's book, I'm not sure. I would have to sit down and give it a closer look.

Steve, It's quite possible Dave may have played early on, but there is no review I know which mentions his name apart from being name dropped in Chris Welch's biography. Mick Bonham's book only talks about Steve Dolan.

• 2 weeks later...

According to another site, these are all the dates with Tim Rose:

28 June 1968 » Hastings, England @

29 June 1968 » Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England @ University of Sheffield, Student Union

2 July 1968 » Bournemouth, England @ Ritz Ballroom

4 July 1968 » London, England @ Royal Festival Hall

5 July 1968 » Hemel Hempstead, Hartfordshire, England @ Hemel Hempstead Pavilion

6 July 1968 » Ramsey, Cambridgeshire, England @ Gaiety Ballroom

7 July 1968 » Woburn, Bedfordshire, England @ Woburn Park

14 July 1968 » Kensington, London, England @ Blaises Club

15 July 1968 » Wolverhampton, West Midlands, England @

16 July 1968 » London, England @ Marquee Club

18 July 1968 » Liverpool, England @

19 July 1968 » Grimsby, England @ Grimsby Jazz Club

21 July 1968 » Nottingham, England @ Union Club

30 July 1968 » London, England @ Wood Green, Fishmongers Hall

31 July 1968 » Hampstead, London, England @ Hampstead Country Club

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Some rare audio of Tim Rose at the BBC with John (Bonzo) Bonham supporting on drums. Bonzo toured with Rose from June 28 1968 to approx. August 7 1968. During this time Jimmy Page was looking for members to replace former Yardbirds Keith Relf and Jim McCarty who quit the band. It was either on July 12 or 19 where Jimmy would witness Bonzo playing with Tim Rose and was blown away by his performance and knew without a doubt who would play the drums in his band.  (Keep in mind Bonzo is still playing a smaller Ludwig Kit; It wouldn’t be till January 1969 where the big 26” bass drum would enter the scene.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JXpmiB5M0Q

13 minutes ago, sixpense said:

Some rare audio of Tim Rose at the BBC with John (Bonzo) Bonham supporting on drums. Bonzo toured with Rose from June 28 1968 to approx. August 7 1968. During this time Jimmy Page was looking for members to replace former Yardbirds Keith Relf and Jim McCarty who quit the band. It was either on July 12 or 19 where Jimmy would witness Bonzo playing with Tim Rose and was blown away by his performance and knew without a doubt who would play the drums in his band.  (Keep in mind Bonzo is still playing a smaller Ludwig Kit; It wouldn’t be till January 1969 where the big 26” bass drum would enter the scene.)

I've heard this BBC session before. Don't think it's Bonzo on drums unfortunately.

2 hours ago, sixpense said:

I was under the impression his dates with Tim Rose were 3rd July to 31st? Page saw him in London on the 31st at the Country Club, Hampstead. Supposedly Bonzo told Peter Grant after he'd joined the New Yardbirds that he'd committed to do the Isle of Wight festival with Rose and was "encouraged" by Grant to change his mind.

Edited by 76229

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

I was under the impression his dates with Tim Rose were 3rd July to 31st? Page saw him in London on the 31st at the Country Club, Hampstead. Supposedly Bonzo told Peter Grant after he'd joined the New Yardbirds that he'd committed to do the Isle of Wight festival with Rose and was "encouraged" by Grant to change his mind.

You are correct. I mixed up the dates of Page seeing Plant vs Bonham. 7/31/18 is correct.

Dates come from Evenings with Led Zeppelin: The Complete Concert Chronicle 1968-1980 by Dave Lewis and Mike Tremaglio

Edited by sixpense

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2008 at 7:50 AM, SteveAJones said:

Hi. In 1968 when John left Tim's band, I replaced John on the drums. I don't remember Dave Pegg being the bass player at all. It was so long ago but I do remember that Colston Hall Bristol was my first gig with Tim. If that's any help. Les Podraza

In 1968 when John left I took over

6 hours ago, Les Podraza said:

Hi. In 1968 when John left Tim's band, I replaced John on the drums. I don't remember Dave Pegg being the bass player at all. It was so long ago but I do remember that Colston Hall Bristol was my first gig with Tim. If that's any help. Les Podraza

Les Podraza?! Wow. Welcome to the forum. I'm humbled that you took the time to reply.

Forum -- here's the debut Galliard album Strange Pleasure featuring Les Podraza on drums. 

Galliard were formed in Birmingham, in the summer of 1968. Featuring Andrew Abbott (bass), Geoff Brown (vocals), Dave Caswell (saxophones), Richard Pannell (guitar), Les Podraza (drums) and John Smith (woodwind), this innovative group recorded their first album for Decca's DERAM NOVA imprint in 1969, released 1970. Like many other NOVA acts, Galliard failed to achieve the commercial success they deserved. Both "Strange Pleasure" and their follow up release "New Dawn" are among the most collectable and valuable records of the Progressive Rock genre.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 months later...

A few clippings from Melody Maker (second one mentions a Bonham solo) (July 6th, 13th and 20th, 1968).

1382309049_JohnBonhamTimRoseMelody-Maker-1968-0706_pdf.png.fb291a267d97e84b8ff16e60c17ec0c6.png   1639230943_JohnbonhamTimRoseMelody-Maker-1968-0720p7_pdf.png.cbf34a02d17626e26af80b6cb601243a.png

1284488983_JohnbonhamTimRoseMM19680706.jpg.e416f8e2650b4029257a2227b40f345f.jpg     

1792674111_JohnBonhamTimRoseMelody-Maker-1968-0713_pdf.png.2fd2764c541f7e096b5d92c0f6db3502.png

Also, re the Tim Rose appearance on Top Gear (July 1st, 1968), although Dougie Wright is listed as the drummer (source), that sure does sound like it could be Bonzo. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. 

Have a listen here.

Track 1 - Roanoke: drumming with his hands (1:55)

Track 2 - Foggy Mountain Breakdown On Rye With Mustard: multiple drum rolls (e.g. 4:34 & 5:00-5:20)

Track 3 - I Guess It's Over: drum rolls throughout [triplets?] (e.g. 6:40, 7:00, 8:16, 8:20 ...)

Track 4 - Long Haired Boy: multiple rolls throughout but harder to make out (e.g. 11:00)

1 hour ago, thozil said:

Also, re the Tim Rose appearance on Top Gear (July 1st, 1968), although Dougie Wright is listed as the drummer (source), that sure does sound like it could be Bonzo. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. 

Have a listen here.

Track 1 - Roanoke: drumming with his hands (1:55)

Track 2 - Foggy Mountain Breakdown On Rye With Mustard: multiple drum rolls (e.g. 4:34 & 5:00-5:20)

Track 3 - I Guess It's Over: drum rolls throughout [triplets?] (e.g. 6:40, 7:00, 8:16, 8:20 ...)

Track 4 - Long Haired Boy: multiple rolls throughout but harder to make out (e.g. 11:00)

Sounds like Bonzo to me. Nothing jumps out as "No way that's Bonzo". In fact, the fills on track 2 are very 'Good Times, Bad Times' to my ears, the triplets near the end also. I think it's him

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2008 at 1:16 PM, SteveAJones said:

Unfortunately, google and the internet in general is not very helpful for researching the

pre-Zeppelin recording and performance history of Plant and Bonham. Only persistent,

painstaking research of newspaper archives and collaboration with others ever seems

to bring these details to light.

And that's why you are vital to this entire operation.  The house would be THAT empty without you.

I truly appreciate everything you do for us!

:gimmefive:

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2008 at 11:57 AM, widget said:

Bristol, Colston Hall

Birmingham, Mothers

Klooks Kleek

Rasputins

The Temple

London, Hatchett's

Just checking through Brum Beat magazine again, it appears most of the above dates are in August 1968 with Les Podraza (later of Galliard) on drums, with the exception of the Hatchett's appearance, which means we probably have most of the possible Bonham dates listed.

On 4/20/2020 at 11:37 PM, SteveAJones said:

Les Podraza?! Wow. Welcome to the forum. I'm humbled that you took the time to reply.

Forum -- here's the debut Galliard album Strange Pleasure featuring Les Podraza on drums. 

Galliard were formed in Birmingham, in the summer of 1968. Featuring Andrew Abbott (bass), Geoff Brown (vocals), Dave Caswell (saxophones), Richard Pannell (guitar), Les Podraza (drums) and John Smith (woodwind), this innovative group recorded their first album for Decca's DERAM NOVA imprint in 1969, released 1970. Like many other NOVA acts, Galliard failed to achieve the commercial success they deserved. Both "Strange Pleasure" and their follow up release "New Dawn" are among the most collectable and valuable records of the Progressive Rock genre.

Thank you. Sorry for the late reply!! I feel humbled being here on this site. This was an unbelievable time for me. Cheers.

On 8/8/2008 at 3:13 AM, widget said:

The manager for Tim Rose was a guy called Jack Beale and his booking agent was Terry King. During his tour in the UK Tim Rose was based in a serviced apartment at Eaton Place.

Steve here are more dates which can be confirmed with NME and Melody Maker reports:

May 4 1968 (Sat) Boston Tea Party

June 1968: Rose returns to the UK after earlier Feb-March 68 tour.

June 29 1968 (Sat) Sheffield, Students Union

July 1 1968 (Mon) Radio session - BBC1 "Top Gear" with John Peel (songs recorded include "Roanoke", "Foggy Mountain Breakdown (On Rye With Mustard)", "I Guess It's Over", "Long Haired Boy"), later broadcast on August 11.

July 2 1968 (Tue) Bournemouth, Ritz Ballroom

July 4 1968 (Thu) London, Royal Festival Hall

July 5 1968 (Fri) Hemel Hampstead, The Pavilion

July 6 1968 (Sat) Ramsey, Gaiety Ballroom

July 7 1968 (Sun 7pm) Woburn Abbey Pop Festival

July 8 - 13 1968: Proposed short tour to Yugoslavia is cancelled.

July 15 1968 (Mon) Wolverhampton - venue unconfirmed

July 18 1968 (Thu) Liverpool - venue unconfirmed

July 19 1968 (Fri) Grimsby, Grimsby Jazz Club

July 20 1968 (Sat afternoon show) Beckenham, Mistral Club

July 20 1968 (Sat evening show) London, Middle Earth

July 21 1968 (Sun) Nottingham, Union Club

July 23 1968 (Tue) Spain, Majorca (cancelled)

A few days after Bonham left Tim Rose on the 31st, Rose postponed his tour until he could audition another drummer, this turned out to be a Brummie called Les Podraza (later of Galliard). Podraza had heard there was going to be a vacancy for the drumming spot after visiting music store Drumland in Birmingham and being tipped off by store manager Mike Evans, who had previosuly chatted with Bonham. Incidently, Drumland sold Bonham his first Ludwig kit.

After the 31st, returns:

August 11 1968 (Sun) Sunbury, 8th National Jazz and Blues Festival.

August 16 1968 (Fri) London, Marquee (Tim Rose's final tour show).

Returns to the US.

August 23 1968 (Fri) "The New York Rock Festival", Singer Bowl, Flushing Meadows Park, Queens. Playing at this festival Jimi Hendrix dedicated "Hey Joe" to Tim Rose.

August 31 1968 (Sat) TV appearance - Germany, Beat Club performance "Long Haired Boy"

Bristol, Colston Hall

Birmingham, Mothers

Klooks Kleek

Rasputins

The Temple

London, Hatchett's

At the 8th National Jazz and Blues Festival staged in Sunbury, Middlesex (9th-11th August), Joe Cocker was scheduled to appear. I have yet to confirm if Bonham played with Cocker on this date.

Also after joining Led Zeppelin, Bonham was scheduled to appear with Chris Farlowe at the Droitwich, Worcester-Bank Holiday Bluesology Festival, on the 1st-2nd September. Grant got on the phone to the promoter and put a stop to Bonham's appearance.

Meg

• 3 months later...