Von Zeppelin

bloody dave

The Royal family of the Netherlands (Von Zeppelin) were offended by Led Zeppelin using their name... Go figure..!

So the band changed their name for that one tour.

Does anyone know what name they used???

This really is a no brainer but it's all i could think of hungover...

It wasn't the royal family of the Netherlands, but it was Eva von Zeppelin, who was concerned her family name was being tarnished, and was particularly upset seeing the cover of the first album.

Led Zeppelin allegedly played as "The Nobs", although I know there was some discussion as to whether they were actually billed that way, introduced that way on stage or what the story is there.....

It wasn't the royal family of the Netherlands, but it was Eva von Zeppelin, who was concerned her family name was being tarnished, and was particularly upset seeing the cover of the first album.

Led Zeppelin allegedly played as "The Nobs", although I know there was some discussion as to whether they were actually billed that way, introduced that way on stage or what the story is there.....

Right, ok. But it was a man named Zeppelin who did invent this floating machine? And was he from Germany and not The Netherlands..?

Just checking, just wondering.

Thanks.

Yes, already covered extensively in another thread.

Well okay. Like i said, i was hungover and new to the site soooo if i'd read ALL the blogs...

The question then should be, what topic's haven't been covered?

Hmmm, has the "percy" name been talked about?

Was it given to Plant out of affection or distain?

Is anyone out there..?

Hmmm, has the "percy" name been talked about?

Was it given to Plant out of affection or distain?

Is anyone out there..?

It's an affectionate nickname. Often shortened to "Perc" (pronn. "purse") by his mates.

i was hungover and new to the site soooo if i'd read ALL the blogs...

There is a search function at the top of the page. Enter your keyword, for example

"Von Zeppelin" and it will normally provide results as to what has been posted here.

Hi all,

Ferdinand Adolf August Heinrich Graf (Count) von Zeppelin (July 8, 1838 – March 8, 1917) was a German aircraft manufacturer, the founder of the Zeppelin Airship company. He was born in Konstanz, Grand Duchy of Baden (now part of Baden-Württemberg, Germany). He was the inventor of the Airship which was made in the 1900's

Airships

Ferdinand von Zeppelin visited the balloon camp of Prof. Thaddeus S. C. Lowe during the Peninsular Campaign of the American Civil War. The balloons were placed off limits to civilian riders and Lowe was not to entertain the curious von Zeppelin. He sent him to another balloon camp where the German aeronaut John Steiner could be of more help to the young man. In 1869 von Zeppelin returned to America to meet and learn from the experienced Prof. Lowe to gain all the knowledge he could in ballooning.

Ferdinand von Zeppelin.From the 1880s onward, Zeppelin was preoccupied with the idea of guidable balloons. In 1899, he started constructing his first guidable rigid airship (based on an earlier design by David Schwarz) which he used for three ascents over the Bodensee. The flights became more and more successful, igniting a public euphoria which allowed the Count to pursue the development of his vehicle. In fact, the second version of his airship was entirely financed through donations and a lottery. The final financial breakthrough only came, ironically, after the Zeppelin LZ4 crashed in 1908 at Echterdingen. The crash sparked public interest in the development of the airships. A subsequent collection campaign raised over 6 million German marks and the money was used to create the 'Luftschiffbau-Zeppelin GmbH' and a Zeppelin foundation.

The same year the military administration bought the LZ3 and put it to use as the renamed Z1. Starting in 1909, zeppelins also were used in civilian aviation. Up until 1914 the German Aviation Association (Deutsche Luftschiffahrtsgesellschaft or DELAG) transported nearly 35,000 people on over 1500 flights without an incident.

Count Zeppelin died 1917, before the end of World War I. He therefore did not witness either the provisional shutdown of the Zeppelin project due to the Treaty of Versailles or the second resurgence of the zeppelins under his successor Hugo Eckener.

Unfinished WWII German aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin and airships LZ 127 and LZ 130 Graf Zeppelin were named after him.

The British rock group Led Zeppelin's name derives from his airship as well. His granddaughter, Countess Eva Von Zeppelin, even once threatened to sue Led Zeppelin for illegal use of their family name while performing in Copenhagen, Denmark on February 28, 1970

KB

Here's the story.

Led Zeppelin started out on their first ever European Tour - a short but intense one, 12 gigs in about 18 days - on February 23, 1970. When they came to Copenhagen, Eva von Zeppelin confronted them, stating to the press 'They may be world famous, but a couple of shrieking monkeys are not going to use a privileged family name without permission'.

Jimmy Page for his part said: 'The whole thing is absurd. The first time we played in Copenhagen, she turned up and tried to stop a TV show [yep, it's the b&w one you can see on DVD - OM]. She couldn't, of course, but we invited her to meet us to show we were nice young lads. We calmed her down, but on leaving the studio she saw our album cover of an airship in flames and exploded! I had to run and hide. She just blew her top. So - it's shrieking monkeys now. But she is quite a nice person.'

Thus in Copenhagen they were billed as The Nobs, which, if y'all don't know already, is cockney slang for 'penises'.

Archived