60's Garage Rock, Nuggets, Pebbles & Back From The Grave

Swede

You bet I'll keep posting and to be honest, I like this thread a lot and I am really interested in this genre! :D And I really goofed by posting "Garage Rock revival" stuff which is so not what this thread is about! :lol: Anyway, thanks for clearing that up! Cheers! :D

Well, don't say that, the garage rock revival has it roots in the 60's garage anyway. Like I said, feel free to post anything "GARAGE" be it revivial or not. LOL :D

Well, don't say that, the garage rock revival has it roots in the 60's garage anyway. Like I said, feel free to post anything "GARAGE" be it revivial or not. LOL :D

But I do like the oldies way better that's for sure! Seriously! :D That's what got me pretty obsessed to be honest! :D BTW, I did a quick edit to my "deleted" stuff and added a nice song by the Ugly Ducklings and a song called"Misty Lane"! :D

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did! :D

^^ Good stuff! Sorry 'bout the insomnia, but music usually cures insomnia. LOL

I'm in a Roky Erickson mood as I found 13th Floor Elevators album Easter Everywhere while I was browsing stacks of vinyl at my favorite second hand vinyl store.

This one's not on this album, but it's a 13th Floor Elevators classic. Check out the guy who plays "electric jug". LOL

The cars in my garage are a lot older than most of yours. B)

Nice Michigan garage rock. The Hideout label reminds me about a single I have with The Underdogs, Judy Be Mine (Friday at The Hideout). Awesome tune!

^^ Good stuff! Sorry 'bout the insomnia, but music usually cures insomnia. LOL

I'm in a Roky Erickson mood as I found 13th Floor Elevators album Easter Everywhere while I was browsing stacks of vinyl at my favorite second hand vinyl store.

This one's not on this album, but it's a 13th Floor Elevators classic. Check out the guy who plays "electric jug". LOL

Yep! It sure does! B) I am not a morning person but today when I got up at 8 AM to get to classes, my mom was suprised to find me in a good mood. When she asked me what put me in such a good mood today my reply was : "Garage Rock". And my mom said "So, you listen to bands who jam in garages...ok..". :blink::hysterical: :hysterical:

Anyway, Swede, I think the "electric jug" was indeed the origin of the weird but cool concept of "beat-boxing" (it sure sounded like that to me! :lol:). Really nice tune! And congrats on your vinyl purchase! Enjoy! :D

And look what I found here! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvG9theP9IU&feature=related

^ Yep! Absolutely...but I am not too sure what it means though! I wish I did but I don't! Is it short for Moderators?! :blink: Any idea Swede? I'm pretty perplexed! :blink:

Well, I actually heard this song (yep, its 60's Garage Rock for sure!) in a commercial on channel 63 today which was for their programme "Time Machine" where they play pretty good 60's and 70's music (well most of the time!) and I had to post it here because it sort of resembled the famous song "Love Not Fade Away" by the stones which is pretty cool! :D

^^ Nice song!!

Mod is a youth subculture that started in Swingin' London in the early 60's. They were sharp dressed and listened to black American rhythm and blues. They drove vespas and Lambrettas (scooters) and popped a lot of pills.. LOL

Here's a better description from wiki:

Mod (from modernist) is a subculture that originated in London, England in the late 1950s and peaked in the early to mid 1960s.

Significant elements of the mod subculture include: fashion (often tailor-made suits); pop music, including African American soul, Jamaican ska, and British beat music and R&B; and Italian motor scooters. The original mod scene was also associated with amphetamine-fuelled all-night dancing at clubs. From the mid to late 1960s onwards, the mass media often used the term mod in a wider sense to describe anything that was believed to be popular, fashionable or modern.

There was a mod revival in the United Kingdom in the late 1970s, which was followed by a mod revival in North America in the early 1980s, particularly in Southern California.

Bands like Small Faces and The Who were leading Mod bands, their style in clothing and music very much describe what the Mod culture was all about. In their early days they covered a lot of old r'n'b songs.

The+Small+Faces.jpg234220969.jpg

In this video you can see a lot of dancing Mods and the band are The High Numbers, which later became The Who! B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hflF6YCsqbs

^ Wow! Now that explains a lot! Kids those days seriously knew how to groove! Mod culture rocks!!! The music playing in that vid has got so much of soul and feeling! I can now see the connection between rock 'n' roll and soul! It is all so inter-connected! Fascinating! And what amazing an fashion sense kids had those days! So cool! :D It is no wonder folks were into stuff like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf! B) Mow Town also reached its peak at the time I guess! And in a way that explains why Robert (Plant) in so many interviews has said that he is a part of the black country as far as the blues are concerned!

Thanks for that Swede! I learnt something really fascinating today! Cheers!!! :D

Yes, Robert Plant is definitely a part of it as he grew up in UK at the time. Many of the British stars, like Page, Clapton and Beck, all hung out in same rhythm and blues clubs in London. They saw all the great artists from US perform there, like Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters. That's what inspired them.

The Mod ladies looked cool too B):D

ModGirls.jpg

081109-mode-8.jpg

Yes, Robert Plant is definitely a part of it as he grew up in UK at the time. Many of the British stars, like Page, Clapton and Beck, all hung out in same rhythm and blues clubs in London. They saw all the great artists from US perform there, like Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters. That's what inspired them.

The Mod ladies looked cool too B):D

ModGirls.jpg

081109-mode-8.jpg

Man! Those are some swingin' chicks! B) So sophisticated! What amazing clothes those are! Cool, casual, fun and formal!!! Wow! Just wow! B) I wish I had a time machine right about now!

There's a great compilation available of The Sonics, called Psycho Sonic. One of my all time fav bands (I got many fav bands LOL).

e12145k1vke.jpg

Everyone would agree that the Sonics reached their peak on their 1964-65 recordings for Etiquette. This 29-track compilation has everything they recorded for the label, extended not just to everything from their singles and two albums, but also with an alternate take of "The Witch" and live recordings of "Psycho" and "The Witch." Consequently, it's the best Sonics release on the market, though you should be warned: it's not wall-to-wall greatness. After the first half-dozen or so songs, you might well be ready to buy into their legend as one of the great (and certainly rawest) '60s garage bands, as those tracks include their toughest elementary riff-fueled pounders: "The Witch," "Psycho," "Boss Hoss," "He's Waitin'," and "Strychnine." But too much of the rest is filled out with covers of '50s and '60s rock and R&B standards, and the relentlessly frantic bang-it-out frat punk and throat-tearing vocals get blurry after a while, though at least they threw in a little-covered tune with their version of Adam Faith's "It's Alright." [The 2003 CD edition of this anthology, incidentally, is substantially different from Big Beat's first release of the material, though it has identical tracks and the same title. It's taken from first-generation tapes, and also has a 20-page booklet of liner notes with extensive quotes from several band members (including lead singer Gerry Roslie) and others involved in the group's career.]

Many cool songs!

^ Oh My God!!!!! You love "The Sonics" too??? I thought that I was one of the few people! :D Gosh! This is so cool! B) I got into them thanks to my mom's instrumental music collection (again!) My mom loves Garage Rock (the instrumental versions of so many Garage gems) and doesn't even know it! Wait till I tell her! LOL! :lol: And you posted one of my fav songs "Cinderella" and another one which I love is "Psycho" and who could possibly forget "Louie Louie"?! (to me, their version is the best!) :D Also, "Have Love, Will Travel" is another fav of mine!:D

IMHO, these guys are 60s Garage Punk / Rock Gods!!! I'm sure you'll agree Swede! :D

I am not a morning person but today when I got up at 8 AM to get to classes, my mom was suprised to find me in a good mood. When she asked me what put me in such a good mood today my reply was : "Garage Rock". And my mom said "So, you listen to bands who jam in garages...ok..". :blink::hysterical: :hysterical:

Isn't that actually where the term "garage rock" comes from?

Isn't that actually where the term "garage rock" comes from?

Indeed...but I still find it exceedingly funny and quite frankly I don't think there is anything wrong with that is there?! But "Garage" bands may have rehearsed in garages, they did not necessairly perform concerts at garages now, did they?

And besides, does it even matter? The fact that I do find the literal meaning of garage rock, well, funny, doesn't necessairly make me less of a fan or a "traitor" of some sort does it?

What really matters is the fact that I find this genre hip, cool and really fascinating! :D

Indeed...but I still find it exceedingly funny and quite frankly I don't think there is anything wrong with that is there?! But "Garage" bands may have rehearsed in garages, they did not necessairly perform concerts at garages now, did they?

And besides, does it even matter? The fact that I do find the literal meaning of garage rock, well, funny, doesn't necessairly make me less of a fan or a "traitor" of some sort does it?

What really matters is the fact that I find this genre hip, cool and really fascinating! :D

There's no problem at all, I was simply saying that's how it all started. Some don't like the term "bar band" either but I've always found it a term of endearment for the most part.

Archived