60's Garage Rock, Nuggets, Pebbles & Back From The Grave

Swede

Not a big fan of The Fuzztones either, but they're not bad. I do like Bad News Travel Fast and a couple of other tracks..

Here's a couple of pics of my band with Rudy of The Fuzztones, after one of the gig we did in Berlin last year. It was a pleasant surprise he came to watch us play and we got to meet him:

22665_1266302099099_1276185384_30868935_4164272_n.jpg

22665_1266813271878_1276185384_30869954_4108091_n.jpg

Hey, those are some nice photos there! Thanks for sharing! :D

Swede, I'm guessing that you are the cute guy with the reddish brown hair (3rd from the left) who has got that cool 60's MOD "The Beatles" hairstyle going on there? Nice! B)

^Just paying you a compliment there, mate! ;)

Cheers! :beer:

Oh, BTW, I think you should check out this next tune. It's been echoing in my head all evening (hope it never stops! :)) and I found this band thanks to last.fm. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytYGBNfW6-s&feature=related

Thank you. :)

Nice song indeed!

^Glad you liked that one! :D

I really wonder if anyone has heard of this weird band called "The Trashmen"? They play something called "surf rock" which does include elements of garage rock.

I found this song which I consider to be weird and funny! I think this is Garage rock at it's funniest! :P

I honestly fell off my chair after hearing this! Damn! So weird! :hysterical:

I'm sorry but I just couldn't help myself! :lol:

The King Khan & BBQ Show (2002-2010) are one of my favorite bands and they have a style and obvious lo-fi sound that you can trace straight back to 60's garage rock. It also has some elements of punk and even doo-wop, with surreal undertones. They just broke up, but they left behind 3 great garage rock flavored LP's. They do have some salty language in a fair number of their songs. One of their bigger songs, "Tastebuds", may as well be a musical rendition of George Carlin's "7 Words You Can't Say on Television". But we're all adults, right? B)

Here is a sampling from each of their 3 albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb_dmI0lCKI&feature=bf_next&list=MLGxdCwVVULXc0Nkf5PAursVa_DcnED5F_&index=4

^Zosodude, that is some really cool and catchy stuff you posted there! Thanks! :D I had never heard of "The King Khan And BBQ Show" before! My favourite song from the lot you posted was "Zombies"! I seriously felt like dancing to that one! Damn! That song has got a lot of attitude! :D I loved the fact they used the "f" word in that one! ;) And they sound exactly like any band from the 60's! So cool! B) Thanks man!!! B)

Ooh, BTW, "Animals Party" really made me laugh and groove at the same time! Dig them crazy animal sounds! :lol: It kinda reminded me of the song "Good Morning, Good Morning" by "The Beatles" because of the animal sounds! Good stuff!!! :D

^Zosodude, that is some really cool and catchy stuff you posted there! Thanks! :D I had never heard of "The King Khan And BBQ Show" before! My favourite song from the lot you posted was "Zombies"! I seriously felt like dancing to that one! Damn! That song has got a lot of attitude! :D I loved the fact they used the "f" word in that one! ;) And they sound exactly like any band from the 60's! So cool! B) Thanks man!!! B)

Ooh, BTW, "Animals Party" really made me laugh and groove at the same time! Dig them crazy animal sounds! :lol: It kinda reminded me of the song "Good Morning, Good Morning" by "The Beatles" because of the animal sounds! Good stuff!!! :D

I'm glad you liked them! They are incredibly catchy!

That "Tastebuds" song I mentioned is incredibly catchy and is as disgusting in the lyrics as it is crunchy and catchy in the sound. It's a winning combination. haha Check it out!

^I checked out "Tastebuds" just now on youtube and my face looked like this on hearing the last part of the song especially : :huh: Damn! While it is incredibly catchy, it is just so dirty that I absolutely could not believe what I was hearing! Woah boy! :lol: But the melody was really good though! :D

This tune caught my attention today! I absolutely love it!! :D

Welcome to the exciting world of 60's Garage Punk, served to you with lots of spunk and a fuckin' awesome rebellious attitude! ;)B)

The King Khan & BBQ Show (2002-2010) are one of my favorite bands and they have a style and obvious lo-fi sound that you can trace straight back to 60's garage rock. It also has some elements of punk and even doo-wop, with surreal undertones. They just broke up, but they left behind 3 great garage rock flavored LP's. They do have some salty language in a fair number of their songs. One of their bigger songs, "Tastebuds", may as well be a musical rendition of George Carlin's "7 Words You Can't Say on Television". But we're all adults, right? B)

I have seen them live together with The Black Lips, another good band. They also performed together as The Almighty Defenders, which were excellent too! I don't have any of their albums though.

• 1 month later...

Electric Prunes bassist Mark Tulin dies

music_electric_prunes.jpg

Electric Prunes bassist Mark Tulin has died at the age of 62.

The musician was a founding member of the influential '60s psychedelic band. In 2009, he worked with Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan and briefly replaced touring bassist Ginger Pooley at one live show.

A Facebook post from USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber read: "It is with deep sadness and a very heavy heart that I inform you of the death of Mark Tulin.

"He collapsed today while helping out at the Avalon Underwater Clean-Up and had immediate response by Baywatch Avalon and Avalon Fire Department medics, but he could not be revived.

Mark was one-of-a-kind. His energy, generosity, and spirit was unmatched."

A second post read: "Services for Mark will be held at Mount Sinai Memorial Park - Hollywood Hills on Friday March 4th at 2pm."

Writing on Twitter, Corgan said: "Just got some horrible news, my brother and good friend, Mark Tulin of the Electric Prunes passed away today. I am really sad!

"We just had lunch with Mark 2 days ago in Los Angeles + we were discussing recording a new song for the Prunes :( he will be missed by many!

"I had planned this week to go through all the SP demos of the past 2 years, and of course Mark is playing on almost all of them. Wow... :( "

Tulin had been touring and recording with the reunited Prunes over the last ten years.

Well, I know for a fact that "The Beatles" are so not Garage Rock material :lol: but, on a side note, they were rather famous for that pretty cool "Birthday Song"! :P I know it was written by Paul McCartney and well, this live version is (IMO), even better than the studio version! ;)

Yes folks! It's someone's birthday today and that "someone" is Swede! B) I am posting this pretty cool birthday song here! It's supposed to be a suprise! ;)

Happy Birthday Swede! :birthday: Hope you enjoy this song (whenever you come online next) and hope it kinda brightens your day up a bit! ;) Cheers mate! :beer:

Well, I know for a fact that "The Beatles" are so not Garage Rock material :lol: but, on a side note, they were rather famous for that pretty cool "Birthday Song"! :P I know it was written by Paul McCartney and well, this live version is (IMO), even better than the studio version! ;)

Yes folks! It's someone's birthday today and that "someone" is Swede! B) I am posting this pretty cool birthday song here! It's supposed to be a suprise! ;)

Happy Birthday Swede! :birthday: Hope you enjoy this song (whenever you come online next) and hope it kinda brightens your day up a bit! ;) Cheers mate! :beer:

lol Thank you Kiwi, that's very thoughtfull of you! Cheers! ;)

^I checked out "Tastebuds" just now on youtube and my face looked like this on hearing the last part of the song especially : :huh: Damn! While it is incredibly catchy, it is just so dirty that I absolutely could not believe what I was hearing! Woah boy! :lol: But the melody was really good though! :D

This tune caught my attention today! I absolutely love it!! :D

Welcome to the exciting world of 60's Garage Punk, served to you with lots of spunk and a fuckin' awesome rebellious attitude! ;)B)

OK, now that was really really good! :thumbsup: Thanks for posting Kiwi!

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it remind you somewhat of the opening riff for the song Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones?? And not only that, the guy who sings it, sounds just like what Mick Jagger used to when he was younger!

Love the 60's garage-rock bands...thanks for starting this thread Swede.

Of course, the Lenny Kaye-compiled NUGGETS double-vinyl set that came out in the early-70's and later in an expanded cd box set is a classic of the genre and a MUST-HAVE in any record collection.

And just about everyone from the Kingsmen to the Sonics to the Standells to the Count Five to 13th Floor Elevators have gotten their due with remastered cds and such.

But there are still dozens and dozens of 60's garage-rock bands out there waiting to be discovered, bands who recorded maybe just one or two singles for obscure regional labels and then vanished. Well, if you've worn your copy of Nuggets to the bone and are looking for more, there's a little label called SUNDAZED that is doing a pretty good job of scouring the country looking for hidden nuggets, and they've put out several good garage-rock compilations that I highly recommend.

51bnKCI-y1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One is called "2131 South Michigan Avenue: 60's Garage And Psychedelia From USA And Destination Records", a 2-cd set focusing on the Chicago garage-rock scene via the USA and Destination Records labels, with excellent mastering work by Bob Irwin. Featuring bands like The Lost Agency, Daughters of Eve, The Flock, The Foggy Notions, Park Avenue Playground, and The Buckinghams among others, it's a killer sampler to add to your garage-rock collection. Oh, and it is also available on vinyl for the truly retro-experience.

Here's the first two songs from the set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lURSPIsdf4

51VDacPiJ3L._SS500_.jpg

Another good one is "Ain't It Hard: Sunset Strip Sound of Viva", a single cd/vinyl set of rockers from Snuff Garrett's Viva label based in L.A. Bands include The Second Helping(which features a young Kenny Loggins), Leathercoated Minds, The Sound Sandwich, Gypsy Trips, and others.

Here are a few songs from the comp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqfLv5FYy8c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNGbnG1j1fY

Archived