60's Garage Rock, Nuggets, Pebbles & Back From The Grave

Swede

I love The Standells!!... and mostly anything from the 60's.

I think right now my favorite are The Chocolate Watchband. I like Mc5, The 13th Floor Elevators, The Mass, The Wailers, The Deep, and The Third Bardo.. thats all I can think of now..

I love 13th Floor Elevators :D

"Garage rock" isn't just a thing of the past, there's lots of good artists out these days that fall into that category such as The Reigning Sound, the Dirtbombs and others. Little Steven gives many of them airtime on his Underground Garage channel on XM/Sirius.

"Garage rock" isn't just a thing of the past, there's lots of good artists out these days that fall into that category such as The Reigning Sound, the Dirtbombs and others. Little Steven gives many of them airtime on his Underground Garage channel on XM/Sirius.

That's true, it can also be called "neo garage". But as part of the garage rock scene I would say Little Steven's Underground Garage is a channel for "mainstream garage rock" rather then the real "hardcore garage rock" bands. Even he dismiss bands that are to "retro" or, as I would say, true to real garage rock sound. :D I do like some bands that he airs on the show though.

Agreed. I heard an interview with the Dirtbombs recently where they too dismissed themselves from the "garage rock" category. I think that may be another case of a band just not wanting to be pigeonholed because they do seem to fall under that sound. Mostly though, they're a "rock n' roll" band, albeit one with a very raw, stripped down sound.

• 2 months later...

I gotta say that going back and finding more proto-punk and garage rock bands has been fun. I've been going through a progressive rock phase of late... so going back to proto punk was totally off my radar and a bit of a culture shock for that matter. :lol:

My first real experience in garage rock and proto punk would be hearing Louie, Louie. It was funny and catchy when I was 13 years old and I kinda left it there. After that, it was the MC5 and their raw debut live album. It was ear-opening to hear the duel guitar onslaught from Fred "Sonic" Smith and Wayne Kramer. And The 13th Floor Elevators, but I sort of found them when I was really into psychedelic.

But, in the last couple of months, its been different. Link Wray was huge for me and "Rumble" was something I thought was impossible for the 1950's. Then, I "stumbled" upon The Monks and, for the first time in a while, dumbfounded about what just heard. The whack and smack beats, banjo riffs, and barely sung lyrics were so different from any other band I've ever heard.

And now, because of a special project I'm working on for a music column I co-write at my community college, I've found The Sonics, finally listened to The Litter and have a new check of bands to check out.

I love prog (see my signature)... but I'm back garage rock! (see me avatar)

• 4 weeks later...

Swede, weren't you in a garage rock band called The Glendoras.

I was looking for releases of The Roadrunners, band which Joakim Dimberg of Dead Man was in and I found this compilation that has "Bloodsucker" from The Glendoras.

"This comp is a pretty solid document of today's Scandinavian garagerock scene, mostly 'pure' 60s fuzz style r'n'r and r&b/garagepunk since Zorch wanted to show what the scene has evolved into after the 80s garagerock reign of bands like Nomads and Stomachmouths. There's known bands like Sweatmaster, Baby Woodrose, Flaming Sideburns, The Maggots, The Chronics and The Strollers but also great tunes by bands I'm not that familiar with like Maharajahs, Voladoras, The Satans, Glendoras and The Skreppers (The Seeds meets Dead Kennedys!?). Lotsa other names could easily have been included on this CD, I mostly miss The Defectors, but that's Zorch Productions' choice and a minor complaint on my behalf since there's not a weak track on "They Came From The North". More unreleased and rare tunes could've been included though. Zorch, why not make this into a series of comps? In 20 years those could be the Scandinavian "Nuggets" albums." - Jens, LowCut Magazine

Pretty sweet stuff and "Bloodsucker" is really good.

; )

Swede, weren't you in a garage rock band called The Glendoras.

I was looking for releases of The Roadrunners, band which Joakim Dimberg of Dead Man was in and I found this compilation that has "Bloodsucker" from The Glendoras.

"This comp is a pretty solid document of today's Scandinavian garagerock scene, mostly 'pure' 60s fuzz style r'n'r and r&b/garagepunk since Zorch wanted to show what the scene has evolved into after the 80s garagerock reign of bands like Nomads and Stomachmouths. There's known bands like Sweatmaster, Baby Woodrose, Flaming Sideburns, The Maggots, The Chronics and The Strollers but also great tunes by bands I'm not that familiar with like Maharajahs, Voladoras, The Satans, Glendoras and The Skreppers (The Seeds meets Dead Kennedys!?). Lotsa other names could easily have been included on this CD, I mostly miss The Defectors, but that's Zorch Productions' choice and a minor complaint on my behalf since there's not a weak track on "They Came From The North". More unreleased and rare tunes could've been included though. Zorch, why not make this into a series of comps? In 20 years those could be the Scandinavian "Nuggets" albums." - Jens, LowCut Magazine

Pretty sweet stuff and "Bloodsucker" is really good.

; )

You are correct, I was in Glendoras and Bloodsucker was our one and only official release. :D

The Roadrunners have released three vinyl singles, I believe, which of I got two. They also released a CD EP in the very beginning which is really good. It's pure 60's r'n'b, kinda like the early Animals, Yardbirds and Pretty Things. They were a great live band. Peter, the vocalist in Roadrunners, is the guy who runs the Crusher Records label (Dead Man albums).

You are correct, I was in Glendoras and Bloodsucker was our one and only official release. :D

The Roadrunners have released three vinyl singles, I believe, which of I got two. They also released a CD EP in the very beginning which is really good. It's pure 60's r'n'b, kinda like the early Animals, Yardbirds and Pretty Things. They were a great live band. Peter, the vocalist in Roadrunners, is the guy who runs the Crusher Records label (Dead Man albums).

That's cool I didn't know that, so is Peter solely focused on the label now or is he still in a band on the side?

Was Joakim Dimberg or another member of Dead Man also in the Strollers?, I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

By the way, I really liked all the songs from your current band on the myspace page, especially Ain't Gonna Cheat On Me Again and Save My Soul.

That's cool I didn't know that, so is Peter solely focused on the label now or is he still in a band on the side?

Was Joakim Dimberg or another member of Dead Man also in the Strollers?, I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

By the way, I really liked all the songs from your current band on the myspace page, especially Ain't Gonna Cheat On Me Again and Save My Soul.

Peter was in a band called The Dirty Lobsters, but they disbanded a couple of years ago. I don't think he is involved with any band nowadays though, which is a pity as he was a great front man.

Joakim was in The Strollers for a short while, but none of the other Roadrunner guys have been a member of The Strollers. They grew up in the same city and knew each other since they were kids though. Mattias Lilja who played guitar and sang in Strollers are now in Maharajas, which is also a great garage rock band.

I'm happy to hear you like our songs!

• 1 year later...

The Haunted were great, and 1 2 5 is a classic garage song which has been compiled numerous times. It was on the first Pebbles comp and one of the first garage rock songs I heard and fell in love with. Together with The Ugly Ducklings, The Haunted were one of the greatest Canadian 60's rock bands. Both bands made many singles which today is highly sought after. The Haunted is remembered for their weird but fine version of Hendrix's Purple Haze, but sung in French.

To let you know how great these guys were, here's two really great singles by The Ugly Ducklings, both of them which I have ;)

Hope ya enjoy it as much as I do! B)

I really like garage rock and I'm really into it. I've always referred to it as garage rock. I like the early 60s bands as well as the ones from late 60s and latter period. I'll just name a few of the most important bands and my favorites.

The Sonics

13th Floor Elevators

The Barbarians

The Leaves

The Seeds

The Fifth Estate

The Music Machine

The Kingsmen

The Trashmen

The Ventures

The Kinks

MC5

The Stooges

Nazz

The Flamin' Groovies

The Velvet Underground

I really like garage rock and I'm really into it. I've always referred to it as garage rock. I like the early 60s bands as well as the ones from late 60s and latter period. I'll just name a few of the most important bands and my favorites.

The Sonics

13th Floor Elevators

The Barbarians

The Leaves

The Seeds

The Fifth Estate

The Music Machine

The Kingsmen

The Trashmen

The Ventures

The Kinks

MC5

The Stooges

Nazz

The Flamin' Groovies

The Velvet Underground

Great bands indeed. I am really into it myself too. The music feels pure and it's so full of energy. I always fall back to garage rock and I never get tired of it..

Swede all three songs you posted sounded really good, and that "Purple Haze" cover sounded real cool in French. Loved both of the solos in both songs by The Ugly Ducklings.

I know there are comps out there with Haunted's whole output. This is the one I have got, released by Voxx Records: Haunted Comp. The Ugly Ducklings made a great album called Somewhere Outside, which also been reissued in later years.

:D :D That sounded so catchy! Which band is this??? I want details!!! :D Loved the keyboards and the guitar!!! Kudos to Swede!!! :D And thanks for posting this Rock N' Rollin' Man! So cool!! B) Grooooooooooovy from the word Go!! B)

The Glendoras. You may already know this already but in case you don't Swede is currently in The Fourtune-Tellers. Good music to be heard.

LOL good stuff. That's the only tune we ever got offically released. But we have plans together with a German record label to release a double vinyl album with 30 songs from the Glendoras catalog. :D The keyboard you hear is an original 60's Farfisa organ. We are speaking with a guy that might join us in The Fourtune-Tellers playing a Farfisa too..

The Glendoras. You may already know this already but in case you don't Swede is currently in The Fourtune-Tellers. Good music to be heard.

Ah! A couple of good bands to get into, I see! :D Thanks again Rock N' Rollin' Man! Because of you and Swede, my musical tastes are really expanding (thankfully in the right direction! ;) ) Thanks guys! :D

LOL good stuff. That's the only tune we ever got offically released. But we have plans together with a German record label to release a double vinyl album with 30 songs from the Glendoras catalog. :D The keyboard you hear is an original 60's Farfisa organ. We are speaking with a guy that might join us in The Fourtune-Tellers playing a Farfisa too..

Hope everything works out fine with both the Glendoras album and the possibly new member. Double vinyl sounds nice.

Ah! A couple of good bands to get into, I see! :D Thanks again Rock N' Rollin' Man! Because of you and Swede, my musical tastes are really expanding (thankfully in the right direction! ;) ) Thanks guys! :D

Glad to hear that, its always great to hear new music be it new or old that you like. :)

Hmmm...I always thought that organs as instruments had this really creepy, Vampire-ish, Catholic Church sort of vibe to them! But that Farfisa organ sounded so awesome! I really couldn't believe that was actually an organ! LOL! :lol: And is there any chance you guys might release your entire catalogue in CD form??! Pretty Please?! That's another thing I would like to add to my ever expanding music collection! :D Keep us updated, will ya Swede? ;)

Hmmm...I always thought that organs as instruments had this really creepy, Vampire-ish, Catholic Church sort of vibe to them! But that Farfisa organ sounded so awesome! I really couldn't believe that was actually an organ! LOL! :lol: And is there any chance you guys might release your entire catalogue in CD form??! Pretty Please?! That's another thing I would like to add to my ever expanding music collection! :D Keep us updated, will ya Swede? ;)

Oh, we are so no-digital. ;) But I do think it will be available as downloads soon..

Farfisa is one hell of a great sounding organ indeed. Hammond and Vox are two other organs which sounds excellent too. For example, the Vox organ was used in House Of The Rising Sun by The Animals organist, Alan Price. Steve Winwood used a Hammond B3 organ in Spencer Davis Group.

BTW, the guy we're asking to join us were the organist in The Strollers, see video below.

Hammond B3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzN0mMx-sJg

Vox organ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd5ufXrT1Ug

Farfisa organ:

Archived