60's Garage Rock, Nuggets, Pebbles & Back From The Grave

Swede

I stopped by the Music Library today and I decided to take the plunge and borrow this :

51%2BbvV28f5L._SS500_.jpg

Well, I guess if it's at the University of Auckland Music Library, then it must be a pretty good read I guess.

More about this book (courtesy of Amazon.com) :

When British rockers invaded the United States in the 1960s, youths responded by growing long hair and playing electrified music in suburban garages. Garage rock has grown from a hobby of the rebellious to a cultural statement: anything not mainstream, from alternative country to hardcore punk, can be included in the realm of contemporary garage rock. Issues of rebellion, clothing and hair styles, playing styles, nostalgia and "selling out" permeate the modern culture of garage rock. Pure rock from the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s and older root styles such as swing and rockabilly have been reasserted in this form, leaving the confines of garages for clubs and other venues where fans' tastes are tuned to the underground. This study explores garage rock as it evolved alongside mainstream music and examines how it reflects notions of self though the assertion of individuality and rebellion in prosperous postmodern times. Using the Detroit music scene as the focus, the author presents two sections. The first section examines the creation of the scene, the importance of relationships to the past and the appearance used throughout. The second section analyzes the alliances and relationships to society that undergird contemporary garage rock. The author maintains garage rock has developed a place in American cultural history, and its continuation will be based on how the underground situates itself within postmodern society.

Seems a bit analytical, but cool. Can't wait to get started on it! B)

• 2 weeks later...

Great one's Kiwi, I recognise a couple of them. I got All I See Is You by Joker's Wild, psychedelic toooon! B) Love The Puddin' Heads too!!

Joker's Wild are really cool! I couldn't believe that Joker's Wild featured David Gilmour! LOL! :lol: So you have "All I See Is You" on vinyl? Wow! So cool! That song ALWAYS makes me want to dance! So catchy! B) I discovered "The Treytones" and "The Puddin' Heads" just about a day ago after joining last.fm! I was hooked! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxM5dfT7kQM&feature=related

• 4 weeks later...

From NPR:

What's With All The Garage Rock?

by ROBIN HILTON

l_377a8519086e4fc0b234db6919504ac3.jpg

The garage rock revivalists Burnt Ones are one of the groups featured on this week's All Songs Considered.

Rumi Sakuraeda

Around this time last year, when we were putting together our list of important recordings from the previous decade in music, we looked for recurring themes or sounds that tied them all together. Among other things, it was a decade of hip-hop and the mainstreaming of hip-hop. In another ten years, when we look back at the period we're in now, I think we'll call it the decade of garage rock.

On the current edition of All Songs Considered, Bob and I share some of the new bands we've been listening to, and can't help but notice how much popular music from the '50s and early to mid '60s is influencing today's young artists. You hear it in the simple but infectious rhythms, the messy, noisy guitars, and the free spirit of the lyrics and melodies.

The question is: Why now? Is it just cyclical? One theory Bob and I discuss is that artists are tired of making quiet, introspective music by themselves. After years of lo-fi home recordings, musicians now just want to have fun and play simple, easy music together that's loud and cathartic.

What do you think?

^Hmmm...a very interesting article there Jahfin! :D By the way, thanks for bringing this thread up back again! I was really starting to miss it! :D

From my point of view, I think Garage Rock or more specifically, the Garage Rock revival movement (since it has been termed that way in the present) is here to stay! It will never ever get old!! Personally, this is truly a genre of rock and pretty much a genre of music in general which I will never get tired of! It's pretty much an addiction for me and I am really into MOD culture and oh a suprising thing about me is that I love Lambrettas (or scooters as they are known here in NZ!) :wub: (yes! Even more than a freakin' Harley Davidson)! Sorry but I just had to share that thought! :D

I agree whole heartedly with the bloke who wrote that article when they talk about Garage rock songs (especially the 60's garage rock stuff) having this extremely infectious melody! This genre to me, has indeed produced some of the catchiest and foot-tapping songs on the planet! :D

And what is so mind-blowing is the fact that the song structure seems so simple and everyone can relate to the lyrics! There are no hidden messages, no complexities involved and there is such a positive and happy vibe to every song you listen to and it sure as hell brightens up your day!!! :wub: And I don't know but I do get the distinct impression that bands ALWAYS seem to be having a freakin' good time while composing a garage rock song!

In fact, if I had the chance to form my own band, I would definitely go in for a Garage Rock band not because the music is rather easy to compose but because of all the fun you can have! You pretty much hold absolutely nothing back! It is all about being free and just going out there and rockin' people's socks-off! B)

Besides, it can get incredibly loud at times but that's really a good thing! And hopefully, this revival movement will go on for years and years to come because it will truly be amazing if future generations get to pretty much go back and re-discover what to them is "new music" which are actually 60's Garage Rock gems (pretty much what happened to me when I first checked out this thread! ;))

Well, I've been rambling on for quite a while now about 60's Garage Rock and I better shut up now! :lol::blush:

As a proud owner of the Nuggets collection I am without a doubt a fan of garage rock (past and present) but having a few friends that play in bands that perform that kind of music I found it grows monotonous very fast. So, in that respect, a little goes a very long ways with me. It's just too limited in scope to hold my attention for very long.

As a proud owner of the Nuggets collection I am without a doubt a fan of garage rock (past and present) but having a few friends that play in bands that perform that kind of music I found it grows monotonous very fast. So, in that respect, a little goes a very long ways with me. It's just too limited in scope to hold my attention for very long.

The thing is, when listening to garage rock bands from the 60's you usually listen to compilations or a bunch of singles, which contains several different bands. Listening to new bands playing a concert or an album by an artist is much more monotonous. That's one reason why I prefer 30 minute concerts rather then 60 minutes gigs and singles to albums when it comes to garage rock.

YAAAAAAAY....PSYCHEDELIA IS IN WITH TYME :):):)

yingandyangsymbol.jpg

By blackglove at 2010-11-05

84470448.jpg

By blackglove at 2010-10-22

The only thing I like about your post is the photo of the ying-yang symbol. Please be aware that "The Grateful Dead" is NOT a 60's garage rock band. And not all Garage Rock is psychedelic. By the way, not to be rude or anything, but do your font sizes have to be that large? Do you mind reducing it a bit, please? Thanks!

As far as the term "monotonous" is concerned, the only thing which comes to mind to me personally, is the rap genre. The singers do not sing but rather choose to speak the words, in that same bland tone of voice which pretty much amounts to a snoozefest. The songs sound just the same with the same pointless techno-music blasting in the background (with rather explicit themes, some of which (in my opinion) are rather offensive to women) and yet, it happens to be a best seller which is to me one of the most puzzling mysteries of today's music industry.

As far as Garage rock is concerned, I do look for variety in terms of, for instance, listening to 10 different songs by 10 different bands rather than sticking to just one band. Besides, if we narrow down the term "garage rock" to include just the 60's, quite a few 60's Garage rock bands were one hit wonders were they not, who were known for releasing singles rather than full length albums?

As far as the term "monotonous" is concerned, the only thing which comes to mind to me personally, is the rap genre. The singers do not sing but rather choose to speak the words, in that same bland tone of voice which pretty much amounts to a snoozefest. The songs sound just the same with the same pointless techno-music blasting in the background (with rather explicit themes, some of which (in my opinion) are rather offensive to women) and yet, it happens to be a best seller which is to me one of the most puzzling mysteries of today's music industry.

Sounds like you're simply not a fan of rap to start with. Nor am I but it encompasses jazz, rock, reggae and other genres. There are also groups that exist on the fringe (such as Jurassic Five, the Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.) that make it more palatable to more open minded ears. To judge it based on it's mainstream exposure alone is not really being fair to the genre overall. As for it's explicit themes, being offensive to women, etc. the very same thing could (and has) been said about rock n' roll.

As far as Garage rock is concerned, I do look for variety in terms of, for instance, listening to 10 different songs by 10 different bands rather than sticking to just one band. Besides, if we narrow down the term "garage rock" to include just the 60's, quite a few 60's Garage rock bands were one hit wonders were they not, who were known for releasing singles rather than full length albums?

To my ears, the blues, bluegrass, ska and reggae can be equally as monotonous as garage rock. That's not a knock against any of those genres of music as I'm a fan of them all. I just prefer variety, like mixing all of those styles (and more) together on a mixtape (or CD or iPod playlist, as it were). The trick is, getting the mix to work together seamlessly, not an easy task.

Sounds like you're simply not a fan of rap to start with. Nor am I but it encompasses jazz, rock, reggae and other genres. There are also groups that exist on the fringe (such as Jurassic Five, the Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.) that make it more palatable to more open minded ears. To judge it based on it's mainstream exposure alone is not really being fair to the genre overall. As for it's explicit themes, being offensive to women, etc. the very same thing could (and has) been said about rock n' roll.

To my ears, the blues, bluegrass, ska and reggae can be equally as monotonous as garage rock. That's not a knock against any of those genres of music as I'm a fan of them all. I just prefer variety, like mixing all of those styles (and more) together on a mixtape (or CD or iPod playlist, as it were). The trick is, getting the mix to work together seamlessly, not an easy task.

Well, when it comes to rap, I really am not open minded! In fact, I think I am one of the most narrow-minded people out there Jahfin! :D When it comes to rap, I do believe that my mentality resembles some folks here who think that all post-70's music is rubbish! :lol: I know it isn't fair to judge a genre by what the mainstream stuff has to offer but somehow, I guess I'll never be able to "accept" rap! And yeah, I do know that rock too has songs rather offensive to women (in fact, a friend of mine, who claims to be a "feminist" took offense to songs like "Living Lovin' Maid" :blink: ), but I am always finding an excuse to criticise rap! Rather vindictive, aren't I? :lol:

The thing is, when listening to garage rock bands from the 60's you usually listen to compilations or a bunch of singles, which contains several different bands. Listening to new bands playing a concert or an album by an artist is much more monotonous. That's one reason why I prefer 30 minute concerts rather then 60 minutes gigs and singles to albums when it comes to garage rock.

I agree. On a side note, there are two 60's garage rock bands who managed to successfully capture my attention with full length studio albums. They are "The Ventures" and "The Sonics" :D

EDITED TO ADD : Swede, wishing you all the very best for your upcoming gig in Berlin! :D Have fun! :D And I am pretty sure "The Fortune Tellers" are going to bring the house down!! :D

I am also rather hoping that you guys will be able to make it to NZ someday? B) *fingers crossed. Trust me, the less said about the "current" rock scene in NZ, the better! :lol:

I agree. On a side note, there are two 60's garage rock bands who managed to successfully capture my attention with full length studio albums. They are "The Ventures" and "The Sonics" :D

EDITED TO ADD : Swede, wishing you all the very best for your upcoming gig in Berlin! :D Have fun! :D And I am pretty sure "The Fortune Tellers" are going to bring the house down!! :D

I am also rather hoping that you guys will be able to make it to NZ someday? B) *fingers crossed. Trust me, the less said about the "current" rock scene in NZ, the better! :lol:

I agree, they and maybe a couple of other bands as well, but they were few. :-)

Thanks for the best wishes!

Well, when it comes to rap, I really am not open minded! In fact, I think I am one of the most narrow-minded people out there Jahfin! :D When it comes to rap, I do believe that my mentality resembles some folks here who think that all post-70's music is rubbish! :lol: I know it isn't fair to judge a genre by what the mainstream stuff has to offer but somehow, I guess I'll never be able to "accept" rap! And yeah, I do know that rock too has songs rather offensive to women (in fact, a friend of mine, who claims to be a "feminist" took offense to songs like "Living Lovin' Maid" :blink: ), but I am always finding an excuse to criticise rap! Rather vindictive, aren't I? :lol:

To each their own but I guess I should feel fortunate to have grown up in a family where everything from Aretha Franklin to Johnny Cash, Zeppelin and Dylan were accepted. I was exposed to a lot of music early on whether it be Soul, R & B, Country, Bluegrass or Rock. I can't help but think that that helped form my musical tastes as a child. My Mom would dance to my Skynyrd records and my Dad would inquire about Kiss and R.E.M.. Sometimes they were off a little bit in their knowledge but at least they showed some interest in the things I liked (musical and otherwise). There are some forms of music I'm not so fond of but I can't say there's anything out there that I outright hate. I try to approach music of all kinds with open ears. That doesn't mean I like absolutely everything out there but I'm at least willing to give it a chance. At 48 years of age I still get excited by music both new and old. I hope that never changes.

To each their own but I guess I should feel fortunate to have grown up in a family where everything from Aretha Franklin to Johnny Cash, Zeppelin and Dylan were accepted. I was exposed to a lot of music early on whether it be Soul, R & B, Country, Bluegrass or Rock. I can't help but think that that helped form my musical tastes as a child. My Mom would dance to my Skynyrd records and my Dad would inquire about Kiss and R.E.M.. Sometimes they were off a little bit in their knowledge but at least they showed some interest in the things I liked (musical and otherwise). There are some forms of music I'm not so fond of but I can't say there's anything out there that I outright hate. I try to approach music of all kinds with open ears. That doesn't mean I like absolutely everything out there but I'm at least willing to give it a chance. At 48 years of age I still get excited by music both new and old. I hope that never changes.

Believe it or not, my music tastes have been really influenced by my parents too. My mom is into Classical Music (she has this collection consisting of stuff by Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, to name a few), Disco (I'm referring to stuff like Lipps Inc, The Beegees, etc), Calypso Music (Harry Belafonte comes to mind ;)), Country Music (John Denver is her absolute favourite) and stuff like Boney M, ABBA, The Seekers, The Carpenters, The Ventures, CSNY and Elvis Presley! She even fancies some tunes by "The Black Eyed Peas" and "Lady Gaga" :P and yes! She does like rap too! :lol: She gave me my first dose of garage rock by playing albums by "The Ventures" and I am so thankful to her because even today, I remember hearing "Walk Don't Run" and "Guitar Boogie Shuffle" when I was just three because she used to play those songs quite a bit. And I didn't even know it was garage rock to start with! Being an only child with no brothers or sisters, I bonded with my mom thanks to instrumental music of various forms and cartoons! :D

I pretty much bonded with my dad thanks to his love for rock and roll. He is a very quiet sort of man but when it comes to music, he is pretty eager to share his tastes with anyone who'll listen! He is into stuff like Hendrix, Zep, Floyd, R.E.M, The Who, Blind Faith, Cream, The Stones, Yes, Jethro Tull, etc. He is pretty classic rock "eccentric". My mom and my dad do tend to have their little arguments about what sort of music to play in our living room! My mom is rather allergic to the likes of Hendrix and The Stones and my dad is allergic to Classical music but I on the other hand like both!! :wub: So, I tend to reslove all the arguments by making them play both!

My dad got me into rock even before I was born apparently! I am about to tell you something which I have told only my closest friend on this forum! You see, when my mom was pregnant with me, starting from the 6th month of her pregnancy, whenever my dad played songs by Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream or The Rolling Stones, my mom could feel me kicking! Mind you, I used to be quiet at all other times (even when my dad played music by other bands)! But the moment something by Cream, Hendrix, The Stones or Zep came on, I used to start my ummm.."kicking sessions" (as my mom calls it :lol:) And the two songs which got the biggest kicks, according to my mom were "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)". In fact, until the 8th month of my mom's pregnancy, my parents thought that they were going to have a son!! :lol:

In fact, my dad nicknamed me "Flash" before he knew I was a girl! :D

Anyway, sorry for rambling! All in all, I guess I come from a family, thanks to whom, I've been exposed to different types of music, just like you were! And believe me, the feeling is just wonderful! :D

Believe it or not, my music tastes have been really influenced by my parents too. My mom is into Classical Music (she has this collection consisting of stuff by Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, to name a few), Disco (I'm referring to stuff like Lipps Inc, The Beegees, etc), Calypso Music (Harry Belafonte comes to mind ;)), Country Music (John Denver is her absolute favourite) and stuff like Boney M, ABBA, The Seekers, The Carpenters, The Ventures, CSNY and Elvis Presley! She even fancies some tunes by "The Black Eyed Peas" and "Lady Gaga" :P and yes! She does like rap too! :lol: She gave me my first dose of garage rock by playing albums by "The Ventures" and I am so thankful to her because even today, I remember hearing "Walk Don't Run" and "Guitar Boogie Shuffle" when I was just three because she used to play those songs quite a bit. And I didn't even know it was garage rock to start with! Being an only child with no brothers or sisters, I bonded with my mom thanks to instrumental music of various forms and cartoons! :D

I pretty much bonded with my dad thanks to his love for rock and roll. He is a very quiet sort of man but when it comes to music, he is pretty eager to share his tastes with anyone who'll listen! He is into stuff like Hendrix, Zep, Floyd, R.E.M, The Who, Blind Faith, Cream, The Stones, Yes, Jethro Tull, etc. He is pretty classic rock "eccentric". My mom and my dad do tend to have their little arguments about what sort of music to play in our living room! My mom is rather allergic to the likes of Hendrix and The Stones and my dad is allergic to Classical music but I on the other hand like both!! :wub: So, I tend to reslove all the arguments by making them play both!

My dad got me into rock even before I was born apparently! I am about to tell you something which I have told only my closest friend on this forum! You see, when my mom was pregnant with me, starting from the 6th month of her pregnancy, whenever my dad played songs by Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream or The Rolling Stones, my mom could feel me kicking! Mind you, I used to be quiet at all other times (even when my dad played music by other bands)! But the moment something by Cream, Hendrix, The Stones or Zep came on, I used to start my ummm.."kicking sessions" (as my mom calls it :lol:) And the two songs which got the biggest kicks, according to my mom were "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)". In fact, until the 8th month of my mom's pregnancy, my parents thought that they were going to have a son!! :lol:

In fact, my dad nicknamed me "Flash" before he knew I was a girl! :D

Anyway, sorry for rambling! All in all, I guess I come from a family, thanks to whom, I've been exposed to different types of music, just like you were! And believe me, the feeling is just wonderful! :D

That's all wonderful but what do you think lead you to the belief that "all post-70's music is rubbish"? I was trying to give some background as to why I remain open to all kinds of music even at age 48. I think a great deal of it had to do with how all music from several generations (meaning my parents and my siblings) was widely accepted and not frowned upon in my household. Some kids my age weren't even allowed to own Alice Cooper, Sabbath or Zeppelin records back in those days. I'm forever thankful to my parents that they didn't take that approach. They might have asked us to turn it down but they never said "turn it off" or forbid us to listen to certain groups or kinds of music.

That's all wonderful but what do you think lead you to the belief that "all post-70's music is rubbish"?

Not to put words into Kiwi's mouth or anything but reading that quote in context and from a different pair of eyes I think what Kiwi meant by that is her dislike of rap is similar to those who think post-70's music is bad.

Not to put words into Kiwi's mouth or anything but reading that quote in context and from a different pair of eyes I think what Kiwi meant by that is her dislike of rap is similar to those who think post-70's music is bad.

Yep, now that I read her entire post again I get the same feeling.

Archived