60's Garage Rock, Nuggets, Pebbles & Back From The Grave

Swede

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it remind you somewhat of the opening riff for the song Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones?? And not only that, the guy who sings it, sounds just like what Mick Jagger used to when he was younger!

Emily, your post is indeed a pretty good observation. I did actually get the same vibe when I listened to "Social End Product" for the first time.

Believe it or not, "The Bluestars" were a Garage Punk band from New Zealand! One of their main musical influences were "The Shadows". B)

IMO, they are by far, the BEST Garage Punk band, New Zealand has ever produced! I sure love'em! :wub:

They unfortunately, called it quits in February, 1967! They lasted for just two years! Fuckin' shame really! :(

Anyway, you can read more about these guys here : http://psychedelic-r...duct-nz-oz.html

Apart from "Social End Product", there are other tunes by "The Bluestars" which I think any fan of Garage Punk, will like and which I recommend :

This one has a nice riff to it, I think :D

And this one is such a catchy freakbeat tune! :wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMAfcFtZCaQ

And will you look at the Lambretta featured in the vid? :wub: Kids in NZ still drive 'em! I've seen so many at my Uni parking lot! B)

^^ Nice post there Strider. Sundazed is a great record label with many great releases.

Yeah, I LOVE Sundazed...along with Proper, Ace, Charly and Bear Records, they put out some of the most amazing and rare stuff.

There were a few other songs I wanted to put in my earlier post, but I had exceeded my file limit. So, now that Kiwi Zep Fan has had a chance to catch up, here are some more nuggets from the Sundazed 2131 South Michigan Avenue set:

First up, a couple tracks with some PUMPING BASSLINES.

Well, I wanted to post Oscar and the Majestics "Soul Finger" but there isn't one on youtube, so here's some cool fuzzed-out ravers instead...

More fuzz goodness to come...

Here's an all-girl band, The Daughters of Eve, singing "Help Me Boy", which is a female version of "Help Me Girl", a song recorded by the Animals and the Outsiders:

Another hot one from the Lost Agency:

But, of all the great songs and bands that are on this collection, HERE IS THE #1 REASON YOU SHOULD BUY/DOWNLOAD THIS COMPILATION-The Foggy Notions "Need A Little Lovin'"

Well, that's just great...it's no longer on youtube. It was on the other day, but now it's been pulled due to copyright issues for some reason.

Too bad, as it was my favourite discovery of the whole set. With a propulsive bassline and jangling, shimmering(almost shoegazey-like) guitar riffs and sweet vocal harmonies, this was a song the Stone Roses would have KILLED to have. And get this, the average age of the band was 16! Imagine being in high school and already having this song under your belt...man, talk about a trail of panties.

Apparently, they only cut this one single...and since I can't post "Need A Little Lovin'", here's the flipside, "Take Me Back and Hold Me"...but it's nowhere near as good as "Need A Little Lovin'":

More fuzz goodness to come...

Hi Strider! :wave:

Wow! When you say fuzz goodness, you sure mean fuzz goodness! :D I really loved that song by "Ronnie Ross And The Good Guys"! They sure have spunk and attitude and that song "The Trip" got me all spaced out! I felt that I literally took a trip around the galaxy or something! So freakin' trippy! B)

I loved "Help Me Boy" too! If there is one thing I love, it's an all girl Garage Rock Band! B)

Please keep'em coming! ;)

But, of all the great songs and bands that are on this collection, HERE IS THE #1 REASON YOU SHOULD BUY/DOWNLOAD THIS COMPILATION-The Foggy Notions "Need A Little Lovin'"

Well, that's just great...it's no longer on youtube. It was on the other day, but now it's been pulled due to copyright issues for some reason.

Too bad, as it was my favourite discovery of the whole set. With a propulsive bassline and jangling, shimmering(almost shoegazey-like) guitar riffs and sweet vocal harmonies, this was a song the Stone Roses would have KILLED to have. And get this, the average age of the band was 16! Imagine being in high school and already having this song under your belt...man, talk about a trail of panties.

Apparently, they only cut this one single...and since I can't post "Need A Little Lovin'", here's the flipside, "Take Me Back and Hold Me"...but it's nowhere near as good as "Need A Little Lovin'":

Need A Little Lovin' is a long time fav of mine. Incredible tune. I've been trying to get a hold of the original 45 which was released on Ginny Records in '65, I believe. I have seen it on ebay a couple of times, but it has always sold for $400 or so, if the copy has been in nice shape. A bit too expensive in my opinion. But I have patience, I'll get a copy sooner or later.. I have it on a Pebbles LP comp, that will have to do for now.

Time now for some awesome 60's Garage Punk from Sweden! :D

With bands like "The Namelosers", I term Sweden as a very "rockin'" country!! B)

One of the most memorable Garage Punk tunes, I've heard in a while! :wub:

These next tracks by "The Namelosers" seriously make me wanna dance! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7kr1k7wmk&feature=related

Had a very bad day at University today but these tracks totally cheered me up this evening! :D

Somehow, music makes me forget my troubles! B)

EDITED TO ADD: Also, I really couldn't help but think of that beautiful chorus in the song "Rainy Days : Revisited" by "The Hellacopters" which says:

"So You Feel It,

Just Wrap It Up

And Seal It!

And Deal With It,

When The Rainy Day Comes Along". :wub:

That cheered me up too! :D

Garage Rock and Garage Rock Revival Music rule! Big time!!! :D

^^ Cool stuff! I got all three of them, on vinyl 45's. Top band! ;)

Here are three other favs of mine.

The Jaguars hailed from Michigan, but went to Indiana to cut this for the Skoop label in 1966.

This is another '66 garage classic, The Huns from North Carolina.

Limey & The Yanks from L.A. California, recorded this FUZZ monster in '65.

Wow! You actually have "The Namelosers" on 45's? :D You lucky guy you!! :D

I was really hoping that you'll recommend some of your Garage Rock favs! :yay: I loved "Its Gonna Be Alright" by "The Jaguars". Such a nice message too! B) And I really loved that Fuzz monster (as you so very rightly called it!) by "Limey And The Yanks". What a fun track!! :D

BTW, the sound quality of those vids is just so good! :D Way better than any mp3, I listen too!

And Swede, I truly think that you are psychic or something because I was going to come in and post stuff by "The Huns" today! Like these :

"Destination Lonely" happens to be my fav song by "The Huns" :D

I also dig "I Gotta Move"! :D

Whoops! I never knew that there were two bands of the same name! My bad! :blush: But, I'm glad you liked those songs I posted.

The first song by "The Huns" I heard was "The World You Cannot Hide From". I was just 10, at the time. My mom had it in cassette tape format and I loved it! :D Then came "Destination Lonely" and well, things changed! :lol:

I really think you should get the 45 for "Baby Get Lost". Any luck on ebay? I truly couldn't believe that track was just for a minute and 51 seconds! Wow! :D There was so much going on, what with the riff, the singer's haughty vibe, etc!! I loved it! :D

"Wild Man" sounded really cool too! Thanks for posting these Swede! B)

Found these, on youtube today and I loved it! I think you'll like it too! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_YIlxxXtJI

Here's a rather "wild" one for ya! ;) It's by "Red Beard And The Pirates"

I had such a great Sunday today! It was crazy! I went to my favourite record store "Real Groovy" in down town Auckland and I picked up a CD containing all the singles ever released by the NZ 60's Garage Band "The Bluestars". It was just $3! :D I still am in shock! :D

Anyway, here is a cool instrumental track by "The Bluestars" from my own little collection on youtube ;) It's on par with "Social End Product". I was a bit shocked though that no one had uploaded this little beauty, so I had to step in! ;) It's called "Sherlock Sweet" B)

And here is another one of my favs from that CD :

The song kinda starts off slow but then, starts to build up!

And last but certainly not the least, a song by "The Huns" which I listened to, when I was just 10 :) Sorry about the sound quality. It's been transferred from my mom's old tapes, to a CD and then to youtube by me. Sheesh! :blink: But, what the heck! I'm gonna post it here anyway! B)

I must admit that I am currently in the process of uploading a majority of my mom's "Garage Rock" collection (especially the obscure stuff on youtube). *Sigh! I can't help myself! :blush:

• 2 months later...

Now that Kiwi's back :wave: I had to bring this thread back from the dead. Tonight I bring you a band from the New Haven, Connecticut garage-scene, THE SHAGS...not to be confused with The Shaggs. Here's three tasty treats for your palate. Listen in the first song how they apply the maxim "less is more". Instead of using a fuzz riff throughout the song, they use it sparingly, so that when the fuzz guitar finally comes, it stings like a bee.

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP!!!

Hi Strider! :wave:

"The Shags" sound very cool indeed! B) Especially the first song! I thought "Breathe In My Ear" was going to be a gorgeous Garage Rock love song of some sort but it was really kick-ass! Very nice! :D Do keep 'em coming! B) Fuzz goodness for the win!! B)

Here are some favs of mine. Believe it or not, Africa sure had a kick-ass Garage Rock scene back in the day! Yep! You read that right! Introducing Garage Rock songs from countries like South Africa, Mozambique, Tanzania, etc.

The A-Cads (South Africa)

Les Krakmen (Congo)

The Mad-Munks (not sure which part of Africa they were from)

Archived