Rev. Gary Davis

JethroTull

I can't watch videos on this computer, but am very familiar with Rev. Gary Davis' music. "Death don't have no Mercy", "I am the Light of this World" and "Keep your Lamps Trimmed and Burning" are among my favorites. Jorma Kaukonen is also one of his students, and these songs and many others are featured in Hot Tuna albums and still today in their shows. Absolutely love it, can't get enough!

Nice little collection here if you can put your hands on a copy. Unfortunately it went out of print not long after it was released.

616PG0+q2AL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

1. Rain And Snow Obray Ramsey

2. Mama Tried Merle Haggard

3. Iko Iko The Dixie Cups

4. Samson & Delilah Rev. Gary Davis

5. Big Railroad Blues Cannon's Jug Stompers

6. El Paso Marty Robbins

7. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue Bob Dylan

8. Spoonful Charlie Patton

9. The Red Rooster Howlin' Wolf

10. The Promised Land Chuck Berry

11. Don't Ease Me In Henry Thomas

12. Big Boss Man Jimmy Reed

13. Turn On Your Love Light Bobby "Blue" Band

14. Morning Dew Bonnie Dobson

15. Not Fade Away Buddy Holly

16. Goin' Down This Road Feelin' Bad Woody Guthrie

17. I Bid You Goodnight Joseph Spence

That is some collection! Johnny Cash's "Big River" would have been a good addition, too?

There would have been lots of good additions but I feel it is a nice start. According to the liner notes the compilers (one of whom is David Gans of The Grateful Dead Hour) weren't always able to use the versions of the songs they wanted due to copyright restrictions. And in some cases, the only versions available were on vinyl so the quality when transferred to CD weren't always the best. Still, a damn good compilation and a very worthy addition to any Grateful Dead fan's record collection.

Archived