"Ignore User" function

FuzzyMerkin

I don't.

Well, I do understand it, but it doesn't prevent me from thinking that it's indecent, cowardly and hypocritical.

How so?

Hmmm...looks like you're trying to "prove" something by not responding: Calling people names and then hiding behind "and now I'll ignore you" is indeed dumb and childish (I still don't see how it would be "indecent" or "hypocritical" though).

It's just not how I use the ignore function. :)

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was a public anouncement which fulfills its function whether Katuschka reads it or not...because you have read it. I really don't think that too many posts on a public forum are completely in vain just because one particular poster chooses to ignore them...and that's where all the "you're so mean" complaints fall flat on their faces.

Btw - of course "iggy" only works if you're not curious enough to check out people's posts although you put them on "ignore"...are you up for it?. :D

Again - explain to me how ít would be "indecent"?

It seems a lot of people get rather worked up about this. I'd really like to know why.

Well maybe "indecent" is not the best word for it, but if someone ignored me I'd be offended because she/he wouldn't want to read my posts and opinions. But if you find someone really irritating and you don't like her/his attitude then I guess it's ok. But I think it's fair to consider other people's opinions even if you didn't like them.

But well, you'll do whatever you like and ignore anyone you want, I just wish you won't ignore me :lol:

Well maybe "indecent" is not the best word for it, but if someone ignored me I'd be offended because she/he wouldn't want to read my posts and opinions. But if you find someone really irritating and you don't like her/his attitude then I guess it's ok. But I think it's fair to consider other people's opinions even if you didn't like them.

But well, you'll do whatever you like and ignore anyone you want, I just wish you won't ignore me :lol:

I said it a couple of times before (though I sadly missed to point it out in the opening post): It's not about people's opinions. I wouldn't want everybody to agree with me and I'm interested in hearing different points of view. It's how people address a topic or another poster. If it's obvious that the same people again and again try to stir up shit without being interested in a discussion, are being disrespectful to others, mob other posters and/or post nothing but spam etc. I don't see any point in reading their posts.

In other words: Maybe it doesn't hurt if people show a little bit of respect even if they disagree with somebody....and cut out the name calling. Would that be an idea?

I said it a couple of times before (though I sadly missed to point it out in the opening post): It's not about people's opinions. I wouldn't want everybody to agree with me and I'm interested in hearing different points of view. It's how people address a topic or another poster. If it's obvious that the same people again and again try to stir up shit without being interested in a discussion, are being disrespectful to others, mob other posters and/or post nothing but spam etc. I don't see any point in reading their posts.

In other words: Maybe it doesn't hurt if people show a little bit of respect even if they disagree with somebody....and cut out the name calling. Would that be an idea?

Well you have a point there. I wouldn't want to read "unnecessary" posts or insults. But I haven't seen here(yet) any posters who offend others, but you obviously have.

You know, there's a Finnish photo board called IRC-Galleria and many Finnish youngsters have their pictures there. I have too, and there's this ignore function. I never use it, but I think it's pretty necessary there because there's so many stalkers. But once I was just browsing people's pictures and one girl (I didn't know her and had never seen here before) had ignored me. I was like what the hell. :lol:

I'd say you're fooling yourself there. On a board of this size nobody "sees the whole picture". I doubt even the moderators know what's going on in all of the threads. Some people choose to ignore certain threads, some choose to ignore certain posters, some never venture into the newbie section, some people posting in the Zeppelin section of the board will never come here. If you're interested in music, you check out the bands forum but might ignore the toothbrush thread.... Censorhip? No. It's life - a string of choices and every choice means that you ignore other options at least temporarily.

Didn't mean "whole picture" in the literal sense....I'll try again.  Ignoring someone in PM's and e-mail definitely has it's place, but in the the forum, it would be like flipping on the news, and enacting a filter on your TV that only let in the happy, positive stories.....I'd rather know about the other news stories that don't please me as well, because only then can you form an informed opinion.

Well you have a point there. I wouldn't want to read "unnecessary" posts or insults. But I haven't seen here(yet) any posters who offend others, but you obviously have.

It's not as bad here as it is on other boards, but yeah, I've seen some of those posts...and attitudes. Some people like to deal with that, some don't. I prefer to ignore them.

Didn't mean "whole picture" in the literal sense....I'll try again.  Ignoring someone in PM's and e-mail definitely has it's place, but in the the forum, it would be like flipping on the news, and enacting a filter on your TV that only let in the happy, positive stories.....I'd rather know about the other news stories that don't please me as well, because only then can you form an informed opinion.

Again, that would make a lot of sense if it was all about different opinions. It's not, it's about attitudes. Do I really need to read posts by people who have (what I'd consider) a bad attitude to get the whole picture? Hardly. I know that attitude - I've seen it expressed often enough. I don't want to deal with people like that because I know from experience that it's pointless.

So it's not about "pleasing" news and "unpleasant" news - I'll be happy to get both from reliable sources. I'm just as happy to ignore the gutter press though, whatever it is they report about.

This post must be good as this is the second post I came to, just to catch up on all the moaning...keep it up !! :P There are strange posts that seem to loose its thread because people ignore others without the help of ignore button as someone said in an earlier post !!

oh well as long as everyone is happy, what hope does the world have when lots of people on here seem not to get along, and they have never met them !! Texting, posting and even phoning can be very cold in its nature, its not until you meet people that you can have a good idea !! I know we have smileys but its not the same than one to one combat...I mean one to one in person !!

We do not always get an idea by someones post, but we don't know the half of it...meaning we do not know what is going on in their lives, good or bad and why they might be acting strange or saying outspoken stuff. I guess in saying that there are a few people who do poor their heart out here but not alot !! Give everyone a chance because ( I use to years ago annoy someone so they would bite back on this forum, because they annoyed me, but I feel bad by that now, I should of given them a chance even if i didn't see eye to eye ) as I have said loads before we are here for the love of Zep, yet its this post that seems to be hot at the mo, I know as I am guilty of looking here before the main Zep forum and maybe I shouldn't.

This can be a great place to be on this forum but at the same time can also be dare I say lonely !!

Be careful who you piss off..they might bite back !! :P agh but before you say it if you block em then they will not, I seem to have come thru the start of the thread again !! :D

I can't be bothered with it, really. Like Hermit said upthread, I can ignore someone all on my own, without a feature on the board. I usually feel pretty in control of my responses, so I don't have concerns about getting so mad at a post/er that I may say something I'll regret later. However, I have been on boards where the ignore function is useful when there's lots of trolling going on.

I usually feel pretty in control of my responses, so I don't have concerns about getting so mad at a post/er that I may say something I'll regret later.

If there's one reason why I'm not all that disappointed about my slow typing,this is it.Even if I did want to post an "out of control" response that I would later regret; my skills-or lack thereof-wouldn't allow it.That's not to say I've never posted something in the heat of the moment,but it's rare.Good thing I don't have VAS........... :whistling:

Oh,and Hello again,fellow Marylander. :wave:B)

Hmmm...looks like you're trying to "prove" something by not responding: Calling people names and then hiding behind "and now I'll ignore you" is indeed dumb and childish (I still don't see how it would be "indecent" or "hypocritical" though).

It's just not how I use the ignore function. :)

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was a public anouncement which fulfills its function whether Katuschka reads it or not...because you have read it. I really don't think that too many posts on a public forum are completely in vain just because one particular poster chooses to ignore them...and that's where all the "you're so mean" complaints fall flat on their faces.

Btw - of course "iggy" only works if you're not curious enough to check out people's posts although you put them on "ignore"...are you up for it? :D

What the fuck is this? :blink:

1. I'm not sitting here 24/7. There are also other things I want/have to do.

2. I wasn't calling anyone names. I didn't say anything like "fuzzy merkin, you are a hypocryte". There is a difference between expressing an opinion and telling a particular person what you think about him or her.

3. Not sure if you noticed, but now you are calling me names. I indeed wasn't trying to "prove" anything, I had to finish reading Tom Jones. So your accusation was completely unjust.

And now finally: How so?

About the indecent thing...I'm really not sure why this needs any further explanation. Ignoring someone simply is indecent. Good thing about message boards is that you can "ignore" anyone you please=not responding to his or her posts. That's why I find the function pretty pointless in the forst place. Saying this, I must also say that I accept your reason for using it, I can't say I don't. I might not agree with you completely, but it would be very unfair to say anything bad about it without considering it. One thing you should, however, understand is that once there is such function, not only people who feel offended by some baddies or trolls will use that. It also works the other way round. Basically, you can block anyone you please, for whatever reason. Not good. Some idiot can block anyone who tells him/her what he or she thinks about it, while the rest of the board still has to suffer this idiot's presence....unless they....all block him/her. How ingenious. It would be very indecent of me to block you so that I wouldn't be able (unless I were really very curious :rolleyes: ) to read your unsubstantial judgements.

I said even on the other board that I really fear this option. I think it will sooned or later contribute to creating of so called 'cliques'. Now let me proceed....

As for the hypocritical part...It is indeed ironic that some of the most abusive comments I've ever seen on boards were made by some of the supporters of this option.

Archived