New Track from Queen + Paul Rogers

Never had beef with Rogers..

but you can't replace the greatest voice rock and roll ever had.

I have never once gotten the impression they were trying to "replace" Freddie Mercury with Paul Rodgers. Hasn't nearly everything they've done with him been billed as "Queen + Paul Rodgers"?

I have never once gotten the impression they were trying to "replace" Freddie Mercury with Paul Rodgers. Hasn't nearly everything they've done with him been billed as "Queen + Paul Rodgers"?

What they are doing is using/abusing the name "QUEEN" though.

They might have got away with it if they were only replacing Deacon, but they are calling it Queen, despite the fact their iconic frontman is deceased and obviously unavailable.

A more honest approach would be to have called it Brian May & Roger Taylor with Paul Rodgers.

However, we all know what this is about. Management & promoters know that the brand name puts bums on seats. Hence the use of the name 'Queen'.

I seem to be the only one not fussed on this song. The riff is okay only, and that chorus with "C-lebrity" is just pure commercial rock, more akin to Bon Jovi. Ugh!! A shame because I love the vocals and music of Paul Rodgers, from his days in Free to Bad Company, to his solo albums and his collaboration with Jimmy Page in "The Firm".

Oh yeah, the solo of Brian May was woefully short. Again, it sounds like it was cut down for commercial radio stations. Or am I being too cynical?

Do tell.

What they are doing is using/abusing the name "QUEEN" though.

They might have got away with it if they were only replacing Deacon, but they are calling it Queen, despite the fact their iconic frontman is deceased and obviously unavailable.

A more honest approach would be to have called it Brian May & Roger Taylor with Paul Rodgers.

However, we all know what this is about. Management & promoters know that the brand name puts bums on seats. Hence the use of the name 'Queen'.

My two cents - I honestly don't see how they are abusing the name. Queen was as much Brian and Roger's band as anyone else's.

If people were walking out after a show saying "Shit! That wasn't Queen! Where's the skinny guy with the buck teeth and the moustache? I want my money back!" then I could see that it would be a problem. But they aren't being dishonest - everyone knows Freddie is dead, and I suspect that most people know Deacon isn't involved - and since they know that is HIS choice, I don't think they will really complain about that either. Yeah people would prefer to see the original Queen, and yeah they were much better that way, but no-one is forcing anyone to see this incarnatioan, and no-one is misrepresenting it either.

If the surviving members are "abusing" the name Queen then so are Led Zeppelin by going under that name with Jason Bonham, Little Feat without Lowell George, AC/DC without Bon Scott, the Allman Brothers Band without Duane Allman, Foghat without "Lonesome" Dave, Lynyrd Skynyrd without Ronnie Van Zant and every other band on the planet that decided to carry on without key members.

Paul Rogers still got a great voice. The song is not my cup of tea, but I was never a fan of May or Queen and didn't like their sound either.. I'd like to see Rogers do something more earthy or rootsy, like Plant did with Krauss. I think he's voice would be very suitable for that kinda thing. But he gotta get rid of Queen to do that.

If the surviving members are "abusing" the name Queen then so are Led Zeppelin by going under that name with Jason Bonham, Little Feat without Lowell George, AC/DC without Bon Scott, the Allman Brothers Band without Duane Allman, Foghat without "Lonesome" Dave, Lynyrd Skynyrd without Ronnie Van Zant and every other band on the planet that decided to carry on without key members.

For the record, I feel both Little feat and Lynyrd Skynyrd certainly ARE abusing the brand names & trading on past reputation.

AC/DC? they lose Bon Scott, replace him and everything stays the same! :lol:

My two cents - I honestly don't see how they are abusing the name. Queen was as much Brian and Roger's band as anyone else's.

If people were walking out after a show saying "Shit! That wasn't Queen! Where's the skinny guy with the buck teeth and the moustache? I want my money back!" then I could see that it would be a problem. But they aren't being dishonest - everyone knows Freddie is dead, and I suspect that most people know Deacon isn't involved - and since they know that is HIS choice, I don't think they will really complain about that either. Yeah people would prefer to see the original Queen, and yeah they were much better that way, but no-one is forcing anyone to see this incarnatioan, and no-one is misrepresenting it either.

Sorry Knebby, but as a long-term Queen fan I must disagree.

The name "Queen" is forever linked with the late Freddie Mercury. The Rodgers/May/Rodgers outfit still play a good portion of the songs he wrote, including their (and his) signature tune, Bohemian Rhapsody.

What's the first thing anyone thinks of when the name Queen is mentioned? May? Taylor? Deacon? No. They think of Fred poncing around in front of the Live Aid stage with that stupid mic stand of his.

This is NOT Queen - although I concede that in Rodgers they have one of the few frontmen who can tackle these songs and do them justice. He's still got an amazing voice. Taylor & May are great musicians, but I would prefer them to trade under their own names. With that trio of individuals, I'm sure they could still play to sizeable crowds in their own right.

Business is business however, and the brand name ensures bigger tours and more money!

Cynical, moi? B)

Edited by One Symbol

I agree with One Symbol to an extent. It depends on what band one talking about, and since the voice in a band often become one of the signatures in a band, I believe a vocalist is most difficult to replace. I also think the most significant writer in a band is hard to replace. Sometimes if a guitarist, bassist or drummer has a very original style, they're hard to replace as well.

But I do think calling this band Queen + Paul Rogers makes up for it quite a lot though. It's not hard to understand that Paul is filling in for Freddie and they are playing a lot of Queen material (which the name implies).

I'm with Knebby here. Queen wasn't just Freddie's band at all, but rather a band where all the members contributed songs - and the whole sound of the band would be completely unthinkable without Brian May, as guitarist and songwriter. They call themselves Queen + Rodgers now, and that makes it perfectly clear both where those songs are coming from, and that Freddie sadly isn't there. If they come here, I'd certainly go. Keeping the songs alive in this manner is no disrespect to the band's legacy at all. They're doing what they do, that's all. Queen is where Roger and Brian come from, who they are and how they express themselves musically. Life goes on. :)

I think if they wanted to call it Queen rather than just Queen + Paul Rodgers they should have found a no-name singer with an operatic range ala Freddie. Paul's singing approach is just too different from Queen that it pushes the sound into a different direction. But hey, they can do what they like.

it's ehh ok. they are all playing on top of their game so to speak. it's just the song isn't that great. i don't think people would care about keeping the name queen attached if they delivered the goods. they should write something simpler and more direct instead of that boring stuff. other bands have carried on with different singers. look at acdc. i associate brian j with the group almost more than i do bon scott or as much as. i know some will frown at that. i heard the brian era first. and they unquestionably delivered the goods. i think bon is all around more talented musically though.

. i have to agree with whoever said the pairing of queen and rogers is kind of bizarre and surrealistic. the truth be known they probably aren't looking to reclaim their thrones or take everyone by storm again. these guys are just enjoying what they are doing together. i don't think you could pair up two giants like them and have it work as long as it has if it was just for ego fame and money.

Edited by zero

• 3 weeks later...

In the Studio: Queen

20634392-20634393-slarge.jpg

Photo: Jill Furmanovsky

When Queen performed at their 2004 induction into the U.K. Music Hall of Fame, they asked former Bad Company vocalist Paul Rodgers to take on the unenviable task of filling in for the late Freddie Mercury. “It was amazing how seamlessly our different styles fit together,” Rodgers says of that appearance. “We came offstage really buzzed about it and said, ‘Let’s do some more.’ ” Within a few months, the hybrid group, dubbed Queen + Paul Rodgers, was performing a set composed mainly of Queen hits (with a handful of Free and Bad Company tunes sprinkled in) to packed arenas across the world. Rehashing the past, however, wasn’t the ultimate goal. “I don’t want us to feel just like old guys playing the hits,” Queen drummer Roger Taylor says. “Hopefully [this new album] will be a creative rebirth for us.”

Click here to read the rest of the article.

• 4 months later...