San Francisco

Cactus

Alright, now you're just being obtuse for the sake of it. Weirdo.

[/quote

i love it when the word "obtuse" gets used. make me shiver...

to the original poster:

as far as "d&c" w/ sanfrancisco, may i ask what it was that provoked the original post? the exact date of the first time used? are you looking for a recording of that show, what? i would be interested in the genesis of your question.

and now back to our previously scheduled programming.....

(fade in cats screeching)

to the original poster:

as far as "d&c" w/ sanfrancisco, may i ask what it was that provoked the original post? the exact date of the first time used? are you looking for a recording of that show, what? i would be interested in the genesis of your question.

If you look further down I have added an on-topic post...!

I was listening to Southampton '73 and realised that San Francisco was in there, but it's not in HTWWW, from '72. So logic dictates that at some time between those 2 dates, there would be a show where they didn't play it, and then the next show, they did play it. That would therefore be the first time it was played.

According to the Concert File, the Glasgow show (1972-12-04) still included The Crunge. There is only one other show 1972-12-07 between then and the recorded Manchester show, so I would hazard a guess and say that first Manchester show is possibly the first occurrence. There is no known recording for the 12-07 show.

I have tracked down all the recordings as best I can but still have a few gaps...

If you look further down I have added an on-topic post...!

I was listening to Southampton '73 and realised that San Francisco was in there, but it's not in HTWWW, from '72. So logic dictates that at some time between those 2 dates, there would be a show where they didn't play it, and then the next show, they did play it. That would therefore be the first time it was played.

I have tracked down all the recordings as best I can but still have a few gaps...

well, according to led zeppelin live by luis rey, the 12/8 show in manchester did not include a san fran interlude, but did include some attempts at "hots on for nowhere". this recording does have a cut though. whats next...2 dates apiece at cardiff and birmingham (11&12 and 16th & 17, respectively) then brighton on the 20th and alexandra palace in london on the 22nd (for sure a perfomance of san fran) and 23rd.

hope this helps. i believe that your question had been answered previously, but if a little recap will get us back on track i'm happy to oblige.

Yeah, the question was simply "when was 'San Francisco' first incorporated into Dazed & Confused"? I determined that it would have to have been 12/17/72, based on The Concert File and the Underground Uprising website.

Then we somehow got into a bizarre Nashville and Chicago conversation, that I still don't know what it has to do with anything...

Yeah, the question was simply "when was 'San Francisco' first incorporated into Dazed & Confused"? I determined that it would have to have been 12/17/72, based on The Concert File and the Underground Uprising website.

Then we somehow got into a bizarre Nashville and Chicago conversation, that I still don't know what it has to do with anything...

I think I originally mentioned San Francisco as a likely place to start, and of course I'd be sure to consider Chicago and Nashville as possibilities.

Please take your meds.

I beg your pardon. Anyway, checking the tour dates, I did not notice any dates for Led Zeppelin in Nashville, only Memphis. So if he sang the San Francisco lyrics in Nashville, it would have had to have been more recently during his solo career. I must look into that.

I am very happy to know that even today, the lyrics of Led Zeppelin remain relevant.

the lyrics to "san francisco" are not zep's... i believe they belong to john phillips of the mamas and the papas...

My brain hurts! What do the shows at the Fillmore in San Francisco in 1969 (and their significance vs Nashville and Chicago) have to do with Robert quoting Scott Mackenzie in D&C several years later?? :huh:

My brain hurts! What do the shows at the Fillmore in San Francisco in 1969 (and their significance vs Nashville and Chicago) have to do with Robert quoting Scott Mackenzie in D&C several years later?? :huh:

That is a question for the ages, my friend.

How are you?

(In case you forgot, I'm Alicia.)

I haven't forgotten you Alicia! I don't want to hijack the thread (though it's pretty much derailed anyway, lol), but I'm fine. Took a little break from the boards for awhile. Just sort of dipping a toe in, so to speak. Again, nice to see you! Thanks for the welcome! :wave:

Archived