New Emmylou Due In June

Jahfin

From Billboard.com:

Details are still scant at deadline, but Emmylou Harris will on June 10 release a new album, All I Intended To Be. The Nonesuch set is her first of newly recorded material since 2003's Stumble Into Grace. Harris will also be inducted April 27 into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Harris told Billboard.com last summer she has secured assistance for the new album from the McGarrigle sisters and Seldom Scene lead singer John Starling. Harris duets with the latter on "Old Five and Dimers" ("I finally decided that I was old enough to cut that song, reaching the grand ole age of 60," she said).

"It's kind of a combination of some of my own songs, some songs that I've wanted to record for a long time and some new things that I came across," Harris said. "You'll get both Emmylou the interpreter and Emmylou the songwriter."

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

• 2 months later...

Emmylou Harris Is Charmed and Charming

807-20080620-013121-pic-142990489.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

BY DAVID MENCONI, Staff Writer

Emmylou Harris has the sort of life and career that lesser mortals can only dream about. She moves in rarefied circles, gliding with seeming effortlessness from one incredibly cool project to the next. Recent years have found Harris touring, recording and singing with an array of big wheels including Mark Knopfler, Neil Young, Dolly Parton and Patty Griffin -- dear friends all. Harris was also inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame this past April.

Remarkably, all of this just seems to happen more or less on its own. A large part of that is Harris' voice, versatile and dulcet, which is a welcome addition to almost any musical context. But part of it also comes down to Harris herself, a universally beloved figure who seems to be proof that you get back what you put out into the world.

Click here to read the remainder of the article.

More Emmylou:

Harris' spiritual progeny

Charlie Rose Interview from last night

Hey Jahfin, have you listened to All I Intended To Be yet?

No, I haven't, have you? At least one review I read wasn't all that favorable but I've talked to some friends that really love the record. She was just in Raleigh last night but I had to pass on seeing her. I really hate that as she's one of my absolute favorites.

No, I haven't heard it yet either.. nor have I read any reviews of it.

I've just read the one review but it's not going to stop me from buying the record.

I would love to see her live if she's coming over here.

According to her website it looks like she may be hitting your neck of the woods in September.

I've just read the one review but it's not going to stop me from buying the record.

According to her website it looks like she may be hitting your neck of the woods in September.

A bad Rolling Stone review should never stop anyone from buying a record.. :D I don't trust 'em anyway.

Thanks for the link to her website.

She got a pretty good review from AMG

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:anfyxzrjldte

In 1995, Emmylou Harris made a decisive break with her creative past, recording the album Wrecking Ball with producer Daniel Lanois and abandoning the traditional country purity of her best-known work for lovely but spectral musical landscapes and exploring her muse as a songwriter in a way she had never attempted before. After Wrecking Ball, Harris recorded three albums in which she made the most of her new creative freedom and honed her impressive gifts as a songwriter, but All I Intended to Be, her first new release in five years, finds her reaching back toward a sound and style that recall the country and folk influences of her earlier work. But All I Intended to Be is clearly the work of an artist who is looking to the past entirely on her own terms, and with the lessons learned since 1995 clearly audible at all times. All I Intended to Be was produced by Brian Ahern, who was behind the controls for most of her albums of the '70s and '80s, and it features a handful of session players who worked with Harris and Ahern in the past, while Harris' occasional partner in harmony Dolly Parton contributes backing vocals to "Gold" (as does Vince Gill). The album's largely acoustic textures manage to sound both homey and fresh; if the melodies and the arrangements nod politely to traditional country sounds (and hold hands on "Gold"), the space in the production and the unpretentious artfulness of the songs reflect an intelligence and restraint largely absent from country music in the new millennium. Harris wrote or co-wrote six of these 13 songs, leaving more room for covers than on Red Dirt Girl or Stumble into Grace, but the tone of the album is consistent throughout, and she brings a streamlined passion to material by Patty Griffin, Billy Joe Shaver, and Merle Haggard that makes them her own. (Harris also writes and sings several tunes with Kate and Anna McGarrigle in what continues to be a truly inspired collaboration.) And as always, the most memorable thing about All I Intended to Be is Emmylou Harris' voice; there are few singers in any genre with a greater natural skill and better instincts, and as wonderful as these songs are and as fine a band as she and Ahern have on hand, it's her glorious voice that turns these simple materials into gold, and she only improves with the passage of the years. The surfaces of this album may seem less bold than the albums that immediately preceded it, but All I Intended to Be is the work of a consummate artist who is still reaching out to new places even when she points to her creative history.

I heard a great interview with -emmylou harris last week on the radio. Its so cool to hear someone talk about doing something they love. She said she wanted to take some time off after the album with -mark knopfler and ended up being busy playing on other folks records and stuff.

Archived