Southampton 73' Thank you

snapper

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but if not, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the overdubbed bass track during Thank You.

I was a bit surprised to hear this, anybody know the story on when this track was done?

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but if not, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the overdubbed bass track during Thank You.

I was a bit surprised to hear this, anybody know the story on when this track was done?

Well, its not an overdubbed bass track...lol

JPJ used bass pedals for every song which required keyboards/mandolin/2nd guitar and a bass part.

SIBLY - MMH - TYG and countless others. There is a thread about it somewhere.

But how good is the Southampton recording!!!!

JPJ used bass pedals for every song which required keyboards/mandolin/2nd guitar and a bass part.

SIBLY - MMH - TYG and countless others. There is a thread about it somewhere.

But how good is the Southampton recording!!!!

Its an awesome version. You can definatly tell Page was drunk ( when wasn't he when playing live?) Its a lot more mellowed down, and it sounds pretty cool. Really good quality recording too.

But compare this version to the BBC version, oh jeez, theres a big difference, but both good,IMO.

Its an awesome version. You can definatly tell Page was drunk ( when wasn't he when playing live?) Its a lot more mellowed down, and it sounds pretty cool. Really good quality recording too.

But compare this version to the BBC version, oh jeez, theres a big difference, but both good,IMO.

Not so sure about the drunk bit. Though he did say recently that the 02 was the first Led Zeppelin show he had ever played sober...

Not so sure about the drunk bit. Though he did say recently that the 02 was the first Led Zeppelin show he had ever played sober...

I'm not trying to insult Page, lol. But I mean, look, even in TSRTS he had Jack Daniels on top of his amps. There are tones of pictures with Jack Daniels during concerts.

I'm not trying to insult Page, lol. But I mean, look, even in TSRTS he had Jack Daniels on top of his amps. There are tones of pictures with Jack Daniels during concerts.

That was just where Jack had the best view. Like Jose sitting on top of the flagpole at baseball games. He was so humbled when the crowd sang "Jose can you see?" he wept.

That was just where Jack had the best view. Like Jose sitting on top of the flagpole at baseball games. He was so humbled when the crowd sang "Jose can you see?" he wept.

Nah, If you look at other live photos, you can see the Jack.

are you sure there's JD visible in the film? are yoiu talking a bottle or just a glass?

If you compare the January 22, 1973 version with the version from the Paris Theatre, March 25, 1971, the differences are quite stunning. One big part is that Jonesy is playing organ and bass pedals on the earlier version, whereas on the later version it's a mellotron and bass pedals - a whole other sound, apart from the differences in the playing approach. The '73 version is prefaced by a lengthy solo on the mellotron, themed around the main chords in the song, and then when Jimmy comes in he's playing the song pretty unusually, introducing a sort of laid back jam feel that wasn't there before - and he even changes some of the chords as well (the others don't entirely follow him). The solo is also quite different. But then, that's Jimmy for you. Never play the same thing twice - or never exactly. Both versions are pretty good. My fave from the Paris Theatre though isn't 'Thank You' but 'What Is And What Should Never Be' - omitted from the official release of the BBC recordings.

are you sure there's JD visible in the film? are yoiu talking a bottle or just a glass?

You know what? I think I might have mispoke, but you can see him chuggin som daniels during Moby Dick I think. Its been a while since I last watched the film. But it might be a different show or some pictures I've seen with him having the Jack on his amps :D

Not that its relevant.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to revive old things but I cannot afford to not share this with those that do not know.

Thank You from 08-31-71 Orlando is the best version. I find that the tone of the guitar in 73 versions doesn't fit this song as well as the raw tone in 71, especially this soundboard recording. The BBC sessions version is similar, but this one is still on a different level.

Coupled with the Organ Solo track before this one, its just mindblowing. I might have to consider it my favorite Page solo, at least nonstop one. I must have ignored Thank You live thinking it would be an acoustic blow off not very good live, as I didnt notice this until I read on here to listen to it from Orlando 71. So far the best "gem" (that I had but didnt know) Ive found in bootlegs.

At the March 19, 1975 Vancouver show Plant calls him "Jimmy Jack Daniels Page".

hehe you guys might like to know there is a picture of jimmy pages #1 lespaul case-

full with empty jack daniels bottles! I't might not have actually been his but according to a forum on www.ultimate-guitar.com it is.

At the March 19, 1975 Vancouver show Plant calls him "Jimmy Jack Daniels Page".

And if Jimmy had retorted he'd have called Plant " Heineken Bob " :D There was plenty of booze on the stage that night. The next night too

• 4 weeks later...

Archived